Thinking of Getting a 2000 Mustang V6 - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-27-2011 Thread Starter
Rookie
2.3L Member

Thinking of Getting a 2000 Mustang V6

Hello everyone, I'm thinking of purchasing a 2000 Mustang V6, 5 speed convertible. It has about 147k miles on it, and was taken care of (at least by the current owner). The owner says there are no leaks (recently fixed a Power steering hose leak), and it runs fine.

My only questions would be with the mileage, how can I tell if the clutch is working (I haven't looked at it yet), the current owner never replaced the clutch, how long would one last? (I thought around 100k?), and how much is it to replace it?

Would there be any other problems I should watch for due to the mileage?
Also, what would be a reasonable price for the vehicle? (it has new tires and battery, newer brakes, and smoked headlights and taillights) (he is asking $3800)

Answers to these questions would be appreciated

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-27-2011
GT Member
V6 Member
5.0L Member

Send a message via Yahoo to StalkerStang
I paid 4500 for my 01 with 80K on it.

3800 seems high, KBB says in excellent condition that car is worth about 3400, and its probably not in excellent shape by KBB's definition.

If the clutch is worn out or on its last leg, it will slip. The clutch will actually slip on the flywheel surface under load and it will sound like the car is reving up but it won't move out like it should. If you have mechinical ability to do the clutch job, it may cost a couple hundred to get a clutch kit, and have the flywheel resurfaced.

150K isn't too bad for Stangs if they are taken care of. I would say 150K would be major tune up time: plugs, wires, filters, fluid flushes, O2 sensors, struts and shocks. I would check for a rear main leak though, it seems most have them at that kind of mileage.

Jesse Berger
90 LX, Previous 4 cyl.
408W In the Works
TW FAC's, Jay Allen cam, Super Victor

2001 V6 5 Speed Daily Driver
Windstar Intake, Dual Exhuast, CAI, Headers
Best ET: [email protected] mph (on 18's)
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-28-2011
PONY Member

i have a 2000 coupe with similar mileage, my biggest concern is rust, if its a clean car is doesn't sound too bad.

To check for clutch slip cruse along in 5th at about 45-50mph and floor it, if the clutch is cooked the engine will rev the clutch will slip and you won't speed up.

I was quoted $600ish by my mechanic for a clutch job (canadian)

2000 V6

Infinite wishlist

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-28-2011
Rookie
4.6L Member

147k....Whew....I wouldnt.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-01-2011 Thread Starter
Rookie
2.3L Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheNightRider View Post
147k....Whew....I wouldnt.
What's wrong with the mileage?

(I might consider another one that I found online, except it's about 2 hours away from me, it has about 101k miles, should I be concerned with the clutch in this one as well?)
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-01-2011
Redlyr

It all depends on when it was last replaced.
My '01 has 132k on it and I have no clue when or if the clutch has been replaced. I've had it since 108k.

147k is not too bad. My car still runs great and I beat the snot out of it every day.

I've personally had two cars with over 200k miles and only one car with under 100k miles. This isn't the 70's anymore. Cars can and will go for a long time.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-01-2011 Thread Starter
Rookie
2.3L Member

Thanks for the reply, Redlyr. So the clutches in these tend to last beyond 100k?

I might consider the one I found online (it's from a dealer though), but looks to be the better of the two. It only has 97k on it. Is $4495 high? (I'll try to offer them down)
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-01-2011
Redlyr

I paid $4200 for mine with 109k so $4495 is a good price.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-02-2011
GT Member
V6 Member
5.0L Member

Send a message via Yahoo to StalkerStang
"Dealer" is the problem there. They get to charge you more because they are supposed to make sure the car is running in the best shape possible for the miles, when in reality you get the same bullsh!t that you would buy from a private party....

I would tell them you won't give them more than 4K for it.

Jesse Berger
90 LX, Previous 4 cyl.
408W In the Works
TW FAC's, Jay Allen cam, Super Victor

2001 V6 5 Speed Daily Driver
Windstar Intake, Dual Exhuast, CAI, Headers
Best ET: [email protected] mph (on 18's)
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-07-2011 Thread Starter
Rookie
2.3L Member

Thought I'd update. The one with 97k sold out from under me (e-mailed dealer, and they never responded).

I found another one with only 42k on it (another 2000, convertible, v6, 5 speed). The dealer wants $8995 for it (I think they're out of their minds). Blue book retail is only $7790.

What would be a reasonable price for it (provided I can manage to talk them down?) Blue book for private party excellent condition is $6415, somewhere around that sound good?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page