8.8 rear end problems/brakes - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-02-2011 Thread Starter
Rookie

8.8 rear end problems/brakes

hi everyone
ok so i just finished my 8.8 rear end swap after 9 hours a day for three days. i had 3 of my friends helping and was still very hard. i ran in to some problems that i solved and that r still a problem.
1st one was the bolt holes on the rear end were the lower control arms connected were to small for some reason even with the bolts that came with the rear end and to ones of mine. so i drilled them bigger.
2nd on the rear end there were spring holders that look like the 05-08 mustangs come with. i grinded those off cuz my frame was resting on those and not on the spring.
3rd when i had every thing done i thought i went to take a test drive but it had alot like alot of resistance/drag. so i jacked it back up and found the my ebrake was engaged for some reason i did not leave it up when was doing the swap. so after dome time i could not get it undone and just cut it lol.
4th my current problem is there is some drag still after the ebrake was removed. i took it for a drive did a burnout posied up .but then i stopped after 10 min of driving i saw my disc brakes glowing red!!
so what is my problem besides the obvious reason the brakes. how can i fix this and get my brakes to retract ?
did anyone have this many problems with this stupid thing
any help would be great

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-02-2011 Thread Starter
Rookie

if u go to my pic u will see the rear end and the weird mount spots for the springs.

post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-02-2011
SHELBY GT 350 Member
V6 Member

Where exactly did you get this rear end? It looks like they were 4 lug axles. Your brakes could be in a bind because the brackets for the assembly are too far down the axle, and the proper tube-end clearance is not right.....

2002 V6 Turbo 10:[email protected]
2001 V6 Nitrous 12:[email protected]

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-02-2011 Thread Starter
Rookie

i found it on craigslist. its a 5 lug. i dont think u can put 5 lug axles in a 4 lug rear end can u? idk.
well i think the guy lied to me or did not know much about the rear end. i think it came out of a 1996-1998 mustang gt cobra what ever it was cuz the rear ends that came on the 1996-1998 came with those spring holders i had to cut off. and when i put my wheels on and the next day i noticed they were sucked in.
since the 1996-1998 rear ends are shorter then the 1999-2004.
so i got to run spacers. about the brakes they seem fine now since i cut the e brake.
thx for the help tho.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-03-2011
SHELBY GT 350 Member
V6 Member

The 94-98's did not use the spring mounts there. All the 79-04 Mustangs used the spring perches on the LCA.......

2002 V6 Turbo 10:[email protected]
2001 V6 Nitrous 12:[email protected]
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-03-2011
GT Member
V6 Member

Maybe you are seeing the quad shock mounts? GTs had a smaller horizontal shock that helped prevent wheel hop...

FLASH = 98 V6, chrome yellow, black & blue accents, 146k daily driver
POWER: divorced exhaust with glasspacks; BBK CAI, TB, UDPs; (shift kit in the garage)
STYLE: black headlights, black taillights, black grille, black hood pins, black window tint, blue hood & side scoops, blue billet fuel door, interior billet, 12000k HIDs
RIMS: XXR 006 black spoke with blue lip; 18x8.5 front, 18x9.5 rear
TIRES: BFG KDW/2 245/40R18 front, 275/35R18 rear
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page