3.8 to 4.2 using stock Ford components - What is needed - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-03-2011 Thread Starter
Apprentice

3.8 to 4.2 using stock Ford components - What is needed

I have a 2003 mustang with the 3.8 and I am thinking of making it into a 4.2l. I have looked at a full kit and I see no reason to upgrade to forged parts given that I dont want to rev to the moon or add boost, I am just looking for some good torque gains. What is the easiest way to make my 3.8 into a 4.2? Would it be easier to get a used 4.2l out of a truck and put the top end on or do I need to just replace the crank and pistons from the 4.2. Will I need to upgrade injectors, fuel pump, or anything else to make it work. Appreciate your input.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-03-2011
Apprentice
Classic Member

swap with the truck engine would be best but im not sure why you would spend the money to do this is like what 20 more hp and a little more tq.
why not spend the money on upgrades for the 3.8?
get a locking diff and if manual get 3.73 gears that will wake that car right up!
a tuner can get you that extra power along with and exhaust and intake.
just weight your options if you want a little extra power look for upgrades for the original motor because after the cost of a 4.2 truck engine and the time to do it it wont be worth it when you could do a few bolt ons to get you there...
i would say yes to a 4.2 if you were going to put forged internals in it and boost it but just wanting a little extra power just look around for bolt ons

1973 Mustang coup:(in progress)
New ginger interior
Rebuilt 302 and c4
Flowtech headers
2.5in exaust w/flowmaster 40's

2012 chrysler 200s (DD)
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-03-2011
SHELBY GT 350 Member
V6 Member

its 20 hp more than youd ever get with all the bolt-ons in the world

2003 3.8L V6 4R70W
Windstar Upper Intake with cool-air intake, MAC LT headers, BBK O/R H-pipe, and flow 40s, SCT tuner, FRPP Alum. D/S, 3.73 gears, Auburn HP limited slip, and Team Z LCAs, Eibach sway bars.
Best 1/4 time: 15.036 @90.92mph, 2.148 60'

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-04-2011
Rookie

"NO REPLACEMENT FOR DISPLACEMENT" 4.2 out of the same year ford truck is a straight forward swap,swap over your upper and lower intake manifold, pan, flywheel, electrical, etc, bolt in swap, pick- n-pull $180 plus core and tax, for the long block, tear down reseal kit, (head gaskets, oil pan etc,).... SO for aprox 400 bucks what bolt ons can you get for your 3.8 that will give you double digit gains, and you can still do your bolt ons and add moore hp and tq... 4.2 swap.....
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-04-2011
SHELBY GT 350 Member
V6 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by slickbullet5150 View Post
"NO REPLACEMENT FOR DISPLACEMENT" 4.2 out of the same year ford truck is a straight forward swap,swap over your upper and lower intake manifold, pan, flywheel, electrical, etc, bolt in swap, pick- n-pull $180 plus core and tax, for the long block, tear down reseal kit, (head gaskets, oil pan etc,).... SO for aprox 400 bucks what bolt ons can you get for your 3.8 that will give you double digit gains, and you can still do your bolt ons and add moore hp and tq... 4.2 swap.....
Providing it is a good motor. Let the 3.8 vs 4.2 debate begin.......

2002 V6 Turbo 10:[email protected]
2001 V6 Nitrous 12:[email protected]
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-04-2011
GT Member
V6 Member
5.0L Member

Send a message via Yahoo to StalkerStang
I have limited knowlege with the specifics of the 4.2 but.... my 302 to 351 swap (and larger) experience tells me that unless you have a head that flows better and the cam to take advantage of that headflow, then the horsepower level will probably be no different with a motor thats only 20 cubes or so larger, especially if the displacement is the only change.

Yes the torque increase may give you a little more bottom end power, but the rpm range of the motor may drop slightly (assuming heads, cam, intake are the same).

I would say if you have a blown motor, and you can locate a good running 4.2, then go for it, otherwise, I would have to agree that gears and a good 91 (or 93) octane tune are going to make the biggest difference with the least amount of headaches.

Jesse Berger
90 LX, Previous 4 cyl.
408W In the Works
TW FAC's, Jay Allen cam, Super Victor

2001 V6 5 Speed Daily Driver
Windstar Intake, Dual Exhuast, CAI, Headers
Best ET: [email protected] mph (on 18's)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page