H pipe, What A Difference!!! - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-04-2011 Thread Starter
Rookie
V6 Member

H pipe, What A Difference!!!

As you know, about 3 weeks ago I put on dual Spin Tech Pro Streets, without the H pipe. I also put in 4.10 gears with a T-Lock, the week after that. Well the 4.10s were alright, but on the highway at 70-75 was RPMing at 28-2900 RPM's, and the sound was somewhat whiney. So a couple of days ago, I had my muffler shop put in an H pipe. He just placed a 6-8 inch pipe between the exhausts pipes. Well what a difference. The sound is much deeper. But what surprised me even more was how the cars response changed! I gained more torque, and my RPM's decreased about 3-400 across the band. Now at 70 I'm at 2100-2200 RPM's. Don't hit 3000 RPM's until 80-85 MPH. Also the throttle response is much better, Just bolts off the line. These improvements were noticed immediately after the H pipe was installed. So for all you V6er's who are getting dual exhaust, I highly recommend an H pipe for your vehicle. there is something to that "evenly distributing the exhaust". Thanks, Vic

2003 V6 White Convertible with Black Hood Stripe
255 x 40 x 17's with Black Billet Rims
Black Smoked Front and Rear Lenses
True Dual Spin Tech Pro Streets
CAI, 78,000 original miles.
FRPP 4.10 gears with T-Lock
SVT Tuner
Black Shorty Antenna
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-04-2011
PONY Member

sweet...make a vid. heres my spintechs
YouTube - Mustang Burnout

post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-04-2011
BOSS Member
V6 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vnicastro View Post
As you know, about 3 weeks ago I put on dual Spin Tech Pro Streets, without the H pipe. I also put in 4.10 gears with a T-Lock, the week after that. Well the 4.10s were alright, but on the highway at 70-75 was RPMing at 28-2900 RPM's, and the sound was somewhat whiney. So a couple of days ago, I had my muffler shop put in an H pipe. He just placed a 6-8 inch pipe between the exhausts pipes. Well what a difference. The sound is much deeper. But what surprised me even more was how the cars response changed! I gained more torque, and my RPM's decreased about 3-400 across the band. Now at 70 I'm at 2100-2200 RPM's. Don't hit 3000 RPM's until 80-85 MPH. Also the throttle response is much better, Just bolts off the line. These improvements were noticed immediately after the H pipe was installed. So for all you V6er's who are getting dual exhaust, I highly recommend an H pipe for your vehicle. there is something to that "evenly distributing the exhaust". Thanks, Vic
um i hate to inform you but changing the exhaust does not chage what speed you are going at a certain rpm, did you change out the gears too? you would have to have factory gears (3.27's) to be @ 70 for 2100rpms lol with 4.10's at that rpm you would be at about 56mph but the 3000rpm's is right for 80 mph

BV heads, P&P lower, windstar upper, comp 218/226, 4.2 bottom end, 3k stall, flow 40's, O/R x-pipe, Pacesetter lt's, Xcal2, 65mm tb, CAI, 8.8 w/ 3.73's, MM LCA's
coming soon: blower cam and intercooled M112
dealer for Ortiz Performance; tunes, cams, etc. PM me!

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-04-2011
MACH I Member
V6 Member
5.0L Member

LOL... good call. But he does have an auto and the torque converter behaves different with different motor torques applied to it. Not sure if it would be affected in the way he is saying though......
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-04-2011
BOSS Member
V6 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by metalman302 View Post
LOL... good call. But he does have an auto and the torque converter behaves different with different motor torques applied to it. Not sure if it would be affected in the way he is saying though......
it shouldn't be that low with it in cruising gear with out, well, a gear swap lol wish it would be there with the 4.10's, i would jump all over it as my next mod

BV heads, P&P lower, windstar upper, comp 218/226, 4.2 bottom end, 3k stall, flow 40's, O/R x-pipe, Pacesetter lt's, Xcal2, 65mm tb, CAI, 8.8 w/ 3.73's, MM LCA's
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-04-2011
Apprentice
V6 Member

Hey,fun video!!Good job

''SIT DOWN,SHUT UP,HOLD ON!!!''
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-04-2011 Thread Starter
Rookie
V6 Member

Thumbs up Right on the money!

Well I have to say I am extremely impressed with Dave, he was spot on in terms of my RPM's at certain speeds. I just got off the highway. At 2100 I was at 56 mph, at 70 I was at 2700, and at 80 I was ay 3100 RPM's. However, I can honestly say that there was a definite change in throttle response,and overall pep in the way the car responds since the H pipe was installed. And the RPM's on the car decreased significantly. I can tell you before the H pipe the car was running at 3000-3100 RPM's at 70, and really working at 80 mph. Now she cruises more effortlessly. Dave you definitely know your sh--. Thanks, Vic.

2003 V6 White Convertible with Black Hood Stripe
255 x 40 x 17's with Black Billet Rims
Black Smoked Front and Rear Lenses
True Dual Spin Tech Pro Streets
CAI, 78,000 original miles.
FRPP 4.10 gears with T-Lock
SVT Tuner
Black Shorty Antenna
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-04-2011
Rookie

i wanna run duals on my 2007. headers and everything, what is the best option in your opinions?

My veins flow with nos and my brain is a gas tank.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-04-2011
BOSS Member
V6 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vnicastro View Post
Well I have to say I am extremely impressed with Dave, he was spot on in terms of my RPM's at certain speeds. I just got off the highway. At 2100 I was at 56 mph, at 70 I was at 2700, and at 80 I was ay 3100 RPM's. However, I can honestly say that there was a definite change in throttle response,and overall pep in the way the car responds since the H pipe was installed. And the RPM's on the car decreased significantly. I can tell you before the H pipe the car was running at 3000-3100 RPM's at 70, and really working at 80 mph. Now she cruises more effortlessly. Dave you definitely know your sh--. Thanks, Vic.
Haha, I just got a calculator that tells me what it does, found it online, I agree that it would make a difference in response, however, remember u just got the lower gears so the butt dyno may not be fully adjusted yet lmao
Quote:
Originally Posted by CMOFMA View Post
i wanna run duals on my 2007. headers and everything, what is the best option in your opinions?
Long tube headers, somewhat high flow cats, an h-pipe for sound or if you really want to pull the extra 1-2 go out ofthe motor get an x-pipe lol, then the mufflers is where I'll stop as I have no clue what the 4.0 sounds like with exhaust so it would be best to YouTube it or go to the appropriate year forum for your car an get their opinions

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page