Which Synthetic Oil? - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-04-2011 Thread Starter
Apprentice
V6 Member
S197 Member

Which Synthetic Oil?

I'll soon be changing the oil in my recently acquired 2008 V6, and I am considering a synthetic oil. I've never used a synthetic, so what brand and vicosity would you guys recommend?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-04-2011
Rookie
V6 Member

I use royal purple in mine and it depends where you live to what weight you decide on, i use 5w-30 in myrtle beach, but usally you want to use the same weight your car calls for. but when it comes to the brand, royal purple is the one i choose, it is a little more expensive but its great. and whatever you do, dont get your oil changed at WALMART. they purchased me a new oil pan if you know what i mean.

Atlantic Blue Automatic V6: Performance:
American Muscle CAI, Mac performance Dual exhaust, with O/R H-Pipe, Diablo Sport Tuner, Ford Racing Trac-Loc, Ford Racing 4.10 gears. Appearance: 17" Mustang bullits w/ tri-bar pony center caps, 01 dash swap, completely redone interior, reupholstered seats to come, gray rocker stripes. Audio: Kicker 12" L5, custom sub box, Power Accoustic BAMF 2000w Mono Amp, Kicker highs and mids (removed 460 system), Dual 600 Watt 4 channel amp and Pioneer Headunit
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-04-2011
Redlyr

Royal Purple is nice but, if you can't afford $9 a quart, go with Castrol full synthetic or Mobil 1 full synthetic. You can get a 5qt change jug for $20-25.
Use what ever weight oil the manual calls for.

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-04-2011
GT Member
4.6L Member

+1 on castrol syntec. and if you can find it on sale at a parts store itll usualy run $35 for 5qts and a filter.

Red 1999 Cobra Vert:

316.6 rwhp @ 6093 rpms
318.1 rwtq @ 4489 rpms

On Just Bolt-Ons And Stock Exhaust Manifolds.

See Profile For Mods.......
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-04-2011
PONY Member
V6 Member
4.6L Member

If I had your car I'd run 5w30. As far as synthetics it really depends. On Joe Shmoes Jeep "brand x" seem to work best in his motor but on yours brand Y might work better. It's trial and error really(but I guess this is why you're asking in this forum). In my 99 GT Redline and Mobil1 Extended Performance work the best. Make sure to get a high quality oil filter. Many cheap filters use cardboard end-caps inside them(Frams are notorious for this). I'd go with WIX, Bosch, K&N, Mobile1, or Ford Motorsport brand.

10+ Year Mustang owner.
99 Mustang GT - mint condition
-
04 Terminator - Pullied, diablo predator tuner with dyno tune, airbags, MM subs/cc plates, Wilwood brakes, 4 point roll bar, FR500 steering wheel, staggered bullitts, JLT cai, Magnaflow exhaust, mgw shifter

00 V6 - Kenny Brown V6 stuff, Dr Gas x pipe
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-04-2011
BOSS Member
V6 Member

I use valvoline full synthetic 5W-20, I've used it for the past 25,000 miles and it seems to work great, and it's only $25 last time I bought a 5qt+ jug at walmart lol

BV heads, P&P lower, windstar upper, comp 218/226, 4.2 bottom end, 3k stall, flow 40's, O/R x-pipe, Pacesetter lt's, Xcal2, 65mm tb, CAI, 8.8 w/ 3.73's, MM LCA's
coming soon: blower cam and intercooled M112
dealer for Ortiz Performance; tunes, cams, etc. PM me!
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-04-2011
Apprentice
V6 Member

Just be careful switching to synthetic. If you switch to it, stick with it. Switching back and forth from synthetic to traditional will eat at your gaskets
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-04-2011
MACH I Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loki004 View Post
Just be careful switching to synthetic. If you switch to it, stick with it. Switching back and forth from synthetic to traditional will eat at your gaskets
Rubbish. Just plain rubbish.

1988 Mustang LX coupe will miss you greatly
traded for:
2004 Mazda 6s 5 door Sport w/5spd/3.0/RX8wheels/Kon/Eibach/and then some

post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-04-2011
PONY Member
Classic Member

Amsoil is a really good Synthetic oil. They have been historically expensive because they are formulated for extended drain intervals, but they have a new OE oil that is priced really low. It is designed for running at the OEM drain intervals. Even the long intervals that some of the OEMs are recommending now. I have been using it and really liking it.

I get it from Automotive Maintenance Headquarters
Apprentice
V6 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by b1lk1 View Post
Rubbish. Just plain rubbish.
Ok, then it's rubbish. Lol, call it how you want. That's what I learned, just sharing my knowledge, bud.
Apprentice

Synthetic Oil

I used Valvoline Synthetic last time, it seems to be working out well, oh and I usually run 5w-20. I tried several of the synthetics, Mobil-1 and Castrol, they all seem to work well in both my stang and truck.

2010 Convertible V6, White with Black Top, Automatic Trans.

1995 GT, Green, 5-Speed, Mach 460 Sound System

1996 GT, Black, Black Interior, Automatic.
Apprentice
V6 Member

I recommend Mobil1 full synthetic. Ford manual says 5w-20, but I use 5w-30. Royal Purple is a good brand as well. Do you guys know why there isn't any API seal on RP?

Play hard, Rock harder.
2002 Mustang V6, AT
K&N Air Intake/Tokico HP Series Shocks & Struts
Mach 1 Chin Spoiler/Fog Lights
Dual Flowmaster 40 Series Delta Flow
(That's all folks!)
MACH I Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loki004 View Post
Ok, then it's rubbish. Lol, call it how you want. That's what I learned, just sharing my knowledge, bud.
You should unlearn it because it is untrue. There never has been any evidence that changing back and forth does anything. I have personally changed back and forth on many vehicles and never had an issue.

1988 Mustang LX coupe will miss you greatly
traded for:
2004 Mazda 6s 5 door Sport w/5spd/3.0/RX8wheels/Kon/Eibach/and then some

Apprentice
V6 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by b1lk1 View Post
You should unlearn it because it is untrue. There never has been any evidence that changing back and forth does anything. I have personally changed back and forth on many vehicles and never had an issue.
That's kool and all man, but I'd rather be safe than sorry. Not saying your wrong or calling you a liar. Not a fan of synthetics, anyway
PONY Member
V6 Member

You can switch to synthetic at anytime as long as there are no leaks.
Mobil1~Royal Purple~Pennzoil Ultra
Go to "the oil guy" web site and do some research. These three perform 7500+ miles per oil change. Its cheaper in the long run and better protection.

'97 3.8 Pacific Green
Modified~
1996 SVT COBRA
White
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page