Need some help with my 2000 Mustang - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-08-2011 Thread Starter
Rookie

Angry Need some help with my 2000 Mustang

Hi
I have owned my 2000 v6 mustang for almost 11 years. I drive it every day for work and have put 362144 miles on it so far. I just went to get my sticker and was told my check engine light is out and my car shows a P0304 OBDll code for a cylinday 4 misfire..
What I need to know is 1. how do i change the bulb in the dash cluster and 2. How do I correct the misfire in cylinder $. My car seems to run fine and I have not had any real problems with it
Any advise would be very helpfull
dad707

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-08-2011
PONY Member

i don't know how to answer any of your ?'s but i have a ? for you! i have a 2000 v6 with 141K miles..what should i start on replacing? or should i just replace when it brakes down

post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-08-2011
BOSS Member
V6 Member

Dad707, how old are the sparkplugs? They might be getting to old to perform right
How about plug wires, are any of them (especially #4) burnt, they might need replacing, u can get a set of msd wires for about 75 and it will get u about another .5 mpg
Some simple things to check first before you get to in depth

BV heads, P&P lower, windstar upper, comp 218/226, 4.2 bottom end, 3k stall, flow 40's, O/R x-pipe, Pacesetter lt's, Xcal2, 65mm tb, CAI, 8.8 w/ 3.73's, MM LCA's
coming soon: blower cam and intercooled M112
dealer for Ortiz Performance; tunes, cams, etc. PM me!

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-08-2011
SHELBY GT 350 Member
V6 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidcseifert View Post
Dad707, how old are the sparkplugs? They might be getting to old to perform right
How about plug wires, are any of them (especially #4) burnt, they might need replacing, u can get a set of msd wires for about 75 and it will get u about another .5 mpg
Some simple things to check first before you get to in depth
i would have left that part out..

but definitely look at the simple stuff first.. inspect the plugs, see if theres any fouling/buildup on them.. make sure the wires arent cracked, melted, or touching anything they shouldn't be(as that can cause arcing and failure to ignite the cylinder.

2003 3.8L V6 4R70W
Windstar Upper Intake with cool-air intake, MAC LT headers, BBK O/R H-pipe, and flow 40s, SCT tuner, FRPP Alum. D/S, 3.73 gears, Auburn HP limited slip, and Team Z LCAs, Eibach sway bars.
Best 1/4 time: 15.036 @90.92mph, 2.148 60'
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-08-2011
BOSS Member
V6 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markstang690 View Post
i would have left that part out..
Well maybe I should have added something, "they got me" everybody's car is different so u never know, and yes I'm sure they did I check my mileage EVERYTIME I fill up, of course lately I'm not doing so good, dang race tune lmao

BV heads, P&P lower, windstar upper, comp 218/226, 4.2 bottom end, 3k stall, flow 40's, O/R x-pipe, Pacesetter lt's, Xcal2, 65mm tb, CAI, 8.8 w/ 3.73's, MM LCA's
coming soon: blower cam and intercooled M112
dealer for Ortiz Performance; tunes, cams, etc. PM me!
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-08-2011
SHELBY GT 350 Member
V6 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidcseifert View Post
Well maybe I should have added something, "they got me" everybody's car is different so u never know
right thats why id have left it out.. could have just been that your wires were old and not working as well as they should doesnt matter anyway

2003 3.8L V6 4R70W
Windstar Upper Intake with cool-air intake, MAC LT headers, BBK O/R H-pipe, and flow 40s, SCT tuner, FRPP Alum. D/S, 3.73 gears, Auburn HP limited slip, and Team Z LCAs, Eibach sway bars.
Best 1/4 time: 15.036 @90.92mph, 2.148 60'
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-09-2011
Rookie
V6 Member

to dad707 did you get the car worked on recently or within last 3 to 6 months, reason why i am asking is because it might be something that was looked over, alot of times if your check engine light isnt on then you would have no reason to clear it, and if the light is blown then you dont know it is on. i would try going to A.Z. and having them clear the code if you dont have a reader. then see if the light comes on after you replace it. also the light is pretty easy pull off the headlight knob, there are 2 screws on the top of the speedo bezel undo those, pop the bezel out, then there is 4 bolts around the speedo undo those, after that try to get your hand behind the speedo and there is 3 harness clips, undo those and its out, now you have to pinpoint which light is the CE, also before hand if you want to check which other ones are out follow these directions

Atlantic Blue Automatic V6: Performance:
American Muscle CAI, Mac performance Dual exhaust, with O/R H-Pipe, Diablo Sport Tuner, Ford Racing Trac-Loc, Ford Racing 4.10 gears. Appearance: 17" Mustang bullits w/ tri-bar pony center caps, 01 dash swap, completely redone interior, reupholstered seats to come, gray rocker stripes. Audio: Kicker 12" L5, custom sub box, Power Accoustic BAMF 2000w Mono Amp, Kicker highs and mids (removed 460 system), Dual 600 Watt 4 channel amp and Pioneer Headunit
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page