2001 Mustang Speaker Sizes? - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-09-2011 Thread Starter
Rookie

Exclamation 2001 Mustang Speaker Sizes?

I am replacing the stock speakers and need to know, are the speaker sizes both 5 x 7? Or 6 x 8? Or are each different sizes? Ive googled and multiple places give different answers. I have a 2001 v6 coupe.

Also, this video has him installing 5 x 7s in the doors

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ngxoUB7UM1w

But most places say they're both 6 x 8's?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-09-2011
Apprentice

Easiest way is to just measure yours personally. If everything is giving you different measurments. Mine are personally 6x8's for a 00 v6 coupe so i would assume your are also 6x8's

2000 Ford Mustang- Raxiom tail lights with sequential tail lights
17" Chrome Bullitt Rims with Sumitomo All Season tires
Quarter Panel Louvers
Dual Black Strips from Turks Collision
2009 Jeep Patriot Sport- Silver paint job with black strips everything else is stock
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-09-2011
BOSS Member
V6 Member

man if that guy put in my speakers and left that stuff just sitting in the bottem of door to rattle all the time i would be kinda ticked
not to mention the extra wires he just shoves back in behind panel and that are not even needed lol
as to the subject of this thread, 5X7 and 6X8 speakers are the same size in respect to mounting but the bigger the speaker generally the better the sound
i think stock is 5X7 in doors and 6X8 in rear deck, i was offered the 6X8's for my front doors but i didnt want to spend the extra $20 dollars at the time for them

BV heads, P&P lower, windstar upper, comp 218/226, 4.2 bottom end, 3k stall, flow 40's, O/R x-pipe, Pacesetter lt's, Xcal2, 65mm tb, CAI, 8.8 w/ 3.73's, MM LCA's
coming soon: blower cam and intercooled M112
dealer for Ortiz Performance; tunes, cams, etc. PM me!

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-09-2011
Apprentice

This is the site I found. I have no idea how reputable they are but something to help you
FORD MUSTANG 2001 speakers - find speakers that fit your FORD MUSTANG car at Sonic Electronix

2000 Ford Mustang- Raxiom tail lights with sequential tail lights
17" Chrome Bullitt Rims with Sumitomo All Season tires
Quarter Panel Louvers
Dual Black Strips from Turks Collision
2009 Jeep Patriot Sport- Silver paint job with black strips everything else is stock
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-09-2011
BOSS Member
V6 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjbound56 View Post
This is the site I found. I have no idea how reputable they are but something to help you
FORD MUSTANG 2001 speakers - find speakers that fit your FORD MUSTANG car at Sonic Electronix
if you are worried about reputation, trust crutchfield.com, they have always been right from what i have researched they have a system to look up speakers that fit each vehicle
Car Selector
since op never stated whether this be doors or deck this is as far as i can go in the search, they even send a free installation kit with each speaker so you dont have to buy extra wire and things to install it, good luck

BV heads, P&P lower, windstar upper, comp 218/226, 4.2 bottom end, 3k stall, flow 40's, O/R x-pipe, Pacesetter lt's, Xcal2, 65mm tb, CAI, 8.8 w/ 3.73's, MM LCA's
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-09-2011
PONY Member
V6 Member

the large ones are 6x8 i know this for a fact but 5 x7 can work. But its easier and cheaper to get 6x8

mustang v6 2001 auto
Go: cai,tuner,pacesetter shorty header,duel exhaust,self-made j-mod,vap intake spacer,4:10 gears
Show:inside neon lights,custom sound system,8 inch shorty antenna,hid kit 8000k,17 inch cobra r rims,corbeau seats fx1 pro,tint 35% all around
Support: 21mm rear sway bar,ford tlock,mm full length subframe connector,bbk strut tower brace,gt front sway bar,ford c-racing lowerig springs,j&m lower control arms
Future: windstar intake,body kit,paint
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-09-2011 Thread Starter
Rookie

Thank you guys so much, I had no clue 5 x 7s and 6 x 8s mount the same size! And these are for both the rear deck and door speakers, looks like I'm buying 4 6x8's
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-09-2011
Apprentice
V6 Member

This is good info to have. I've been thinking of replacing my "subs" in my Mach 460 system to get a little more bass. Can someone recommend a good "bang for your buck" replacement option?
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-09-2011
BOSS Member
V6 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by redneckpunk View Post
This is good info to have. I've been thinking of replacing my "subs" in my Mach 460 system to get a little more bass. Can someone recommend a good "bang for your buck" replacement option?
Find a kicker sub that has the same diameter and through that in, kicker makes best subs and the older Rockford fasgate amps kick @$$, my cuz has a little punch 45 amp pushing four 15" kicker subs and it hits like u wouldn't believe for a little 45watt amp lol

Apprentice
V6 Member

Anything that can be used with the factory amps?
BOSS Member
V6 Member

oh yeah it can be used with the factory amp, it just won't be as loud as it would be with a bigger one lol, any of them should work as long as it fits in your enclosure

post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-09-2011 Thread Starter
Rookie

Redneckpunk your best solution is probably a Bazooka Tube. Just get a nice 8" one, it has an amp built it and is easy to install.
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-10-2011 Thread Starter
Rookie

Exclamation

New question, I hear 6 1/2" speakers are better than 6x8"'s, is this true? And would they fit in the speaker door spot if I just make myself an adapter?
BOSS Member
V6 Member

not positive on this but you would probably be taking material out instead of adding an adapter, since 6 is as big as it goes factory
now in the rear deck thats a different story, i got 6X9's in mine but its mounted from the bottem with self tappers lmao until they shook lose and i put bolts/lock nuts on it

GT Member
V6 Member

Send a message via AIM to ESG-642T
Quote:
Originally Posted by III Icon III View Post
New question, I hear 6 1/2" speakers are better than 6x8"'s, is this true? And would they fit in the speaker door spot if I just make myself an adapter?

6 1/2" Round speakers? Round speakers generally have better sound quality but you can get awesome sound out of 5x7(6x8)s

As for the rear deck you don't need much back there, lots of people make that mistake and end up with improper sound stage.

- 2002 V6 Mustang Daily
- 86 Buick "Nope its a monte calro"
FS: 94-04 heads, cams, ported intakes.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page