1998 Mustang Clutch Snapped to Floor - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-10-2011 Thread Starter
Rookie

1998 Mustang Clutch Snapped to Floor

Driving yesterday, go to shift and my clutch pedal snap down to the floor. I managed to pull it up with my foot and it sort of snapped back into place. Had no issues before, no issues since. Feels and shifts as it should, looked things over and didn't notice anything broken. Any idea what that was all about?
I had the whole tranny including clutch parts replaced about three years ago, but don't think the pedal assembly was part of that.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-10-2011
SHELBY GT 350 Member
V6 Member

thinking out loud here.. you know how the clutch pedal has a self adjusting bit to it? maybe it just jumped the teeth and disengaged from the cable completely then pulling up on the clutch readjusted it and set it back where it was supposed to be

2003 3.8L V6 4R70W
Windstar Upper Intake with cool-air intake, MAC LT headers, BBK O/R H-pipe, and flow 40s, SCT tuner, FRPP Alum. D/S, 3.73 gears, Auburn HP limited slip, and Team Z LCAs, Eibach sway bars.
Best 1/4 time: 15.036 @90.92mph, 2.148 60'
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-10-2011
MACH I Member

Garage
It would be a very good idea for you to change the clutch quadrant as soon as possible as it is very likely to permanently fail very soon and that will leave you with a non-functioning clutch. I'd personally go with a solid quadrant and an adjustable cable, but atleast replace it with a new OEM part at the minimum.

1988 Mustang LX coupe will miss you greatly
traded for:
2004 Mazda 6s 5 door Sport w/5spd/3.0/RX8wheels/Kon/Eibach/and then some

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-10-2011 Thread Starter
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markstang690 View Post
thinking out loud here.. you know how the clutch pedal has a self adjusting bit to it? maybe it just jumped the teeth and disengaged from the cable completely then pulling up on the clutch readjusted it and set it back where it was supposed to be
Thats sort of what I was thinking at first...and hope so in the short run.

Quote:
Originally Posted by b1lk1 View Post
It would be a very good idea for you to change the clutch quadrant as soon as possible as it is very likely to permanently fail very soon and that will leave you with a non-functioning clutch. I'd personally go with a solid quadrant and an adjustable cable, but atleast replace it with a new OEM part at the minimum.
So I looked a bit closer, and it looks like that the quadrant is just plastic...so that worries me. Guess I'll bump a clutch adjuster kit to the asap list. Know of any good guides on replacement?

Last edited by lvi56; 03-10-2011 at 09:23 PM. Reason: spelling
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-10-2011
MACH I Member

Garage
I'm not aware of any guides, but I do know that AllData is cheap and can walk anyone with decent skills through a job like this. Just be sure to get the whole kit, don't try to piece it together.

1988 Mustang LX coupe will miss you greatly
traded for:
2004 Mazda 6s 5 door Sport w/5spd/3.0/RX8wheels/Kon/Eibach/and then some

post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-11-2011
PONY Member
V6 Member

You can look around but AM has a 3 piece kit for $99.00 and they post step by step directions to refer to no matter where you get the parts. I dont know from experience because i put in a Ford Racing cable, but I have heard that the BBK adjustable cables dont always hold up well. That could possibly be not true at all but I read it a couple of times and choose another brand when I had mine put on last month.
The 3 piece kit includes of course the cable, quadrant, and firewall adjuster.

'97 3.8 Pacific Green
Modified~
1996 SVT COBRA
White
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-11-2011 Thread Starter
Rookie

Thanks for the replys. I Did find some good guides on AM, I think I'm going to go with an MM quadrant and a firewall adjuster, then pick up an OEM cable later.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-15-2011 Thread Starter
Rookie

To update... I have installed the new quadrant and firewall adjuster. The current cable appears in very good condition. The install was a pain at times but I got through it. Only thing is the cable is very loose, even with the firewall adjuster at its max. There's a good inch of play in the pedal, but it works and clutch engages and disengages with no problem. Shifting is a lot smoother and more precise now. Might go back later and see if I can adjust or shim something to get some of the play out of the pedal.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page