1994 mustang V6 not getting signal to number 2 injector? - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-23-2011 Thread Starter
Rookie

1994 mustang V6 not getting signal to number 2 injector?

OK; this one has had me stumped for a while now. I had finally parked the car over winter and been driving my explorer, but the front transmission seal went out so I am back to trying to fix my Mustang. Here's the short story:
Check engine came on. Pulled codes at Autozone and had "P0302- number 2 cylinder misfiring" and "lean number bank". Put on new plugs, new wires, seperated wires, and new coil pack. Put on 2 new O2 sensors. Now only code is "number 2 cylinder misfire". Drove it a while and pulled number two plug. Had some wet oil but you could still see where the spark had been firing and was clear on the electrodes there. So, logic says ignition is working. Pulled number one plug and it looked normal. No oil fouling; no smoking from exhaust. My compression gauge would not go up in the narrow plug hole, so no readings from that but was running good before and other cylinders still seem to run smooth. So I figured maybe the injector was clogged up. Ran a tank of Lucas injector cleaner; no difference. Was going to pull injectors but decided to check one other thing first. Rented a set of noid lights from Autozone tonight, and plugged the Bosch one in (The Ford one did not fit, and the injectors look more like Bosch than Ford EV1 style on the connectors- didn't know Ford did that?) and no light when running on number two connector. Checked the light in the number one cylinder to make sure it worked- it did. Tried number two again to make sure.

So that is where I am at. Any suggestions as to how/where to start to chase this down? Bad crank position sensor? Bad computer? (Do they sometimes "lose" a cylinder's firing signal?) Any common tests/repairs? I appreciate the help.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-23-2011
SHELBY GT 350 Member
V6 Member

I would trace the injectors wire along the harness first. I would also find out which pin it is on the main harness plug, and check for signal there.

Pull the fuel pump fuse, unplug the main harness, find the correct pin number, crank it over and see if you get voltage. That is the only way you are going to rule out the harness or computer.....

2002 V6 Turbo 10:[email protected]
2001 V6 Nitrous 12:[email protected]
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-23-2011 Thread Starter
Rookie

Are there any secondary switches or anything between the computer and the injector plug that would have to be on? Or could I ohm it out (once I figure out which pins are which on the computer plug) and then IF the harness ohms out OK; would it be a safe bet to presume the computer is toast? Or can one this old be taken out and reprogramed/reflashed?

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-24-2011
SHELBY GT 350 Member
V6 Member

Yes, you can ohm it out, but I'm a guy who likes to see the fire. I have ohmed out wires before, and they were fine. But under normal voltage, they failed. You can ohm out a spark plug wire, but put real voltage to it, and it will arc to the headers everytime. Just my opinion.....

Nothing other than the computer if you are telling us that all the sensors are in place and working.....

2002 V6 Turbo 10:[email protected]
2001 V6 Nitrous 12:[email protected]
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-24-2011
SHELBY GT 350 Member
V6 Member

yeah, if your injector is failing to fire and its not the wire or the injector's fault, its probably the computer being physically broken.. re-flash isn't gonna do it i think

2003 3.8L V6 4R70W
Windstar Upper Intake with cool-air intake, MAC LT headers, BBK O/R H-pipe, and flow 40s, SCT tuner, FRPP Alum. D/S, 3.73 gears, Auburn HP limited slip, and Team Z LCAs, Eibach sway bars.
Best 1/4 time: 15.036 @90.92mph, 2.148 60'
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-26-2011
SHELBY GT 350 Member

Confirm there is +12 volts (key on) to the injector in question.

Disconnect the electrical connector to the injector. What is the Ohm value through the injector?

Hate to be Mr "buzz kill", but if the noid light works on other injectors, AND the other tests are OK, likey that the PCM fuel injector driver circuit has failed.

It COULD be a wiring problem (which should be ruled out before replacing the PCM), but the odds favor a bad PCM.

2003 GT Convertible (sold & missed)
2000 GT coupe (Craigslist project. Fixed. Now my DD). Windsor to Romeo swap.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page