How to gain more hp on a 2000 Mustang V6 - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-23-2011 Thread Starter
Apprentice
V6 Member

How to gain more hp on a 2000 Mustang V6

So I'm going to put true dual flowmaster catbacks on my 00 v6 stang and a bbk stage 2 air intake and was wondering how much hp I would gain from that and what else could I do to gain power

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-23-2011
GT Member
4.6L Member

Any bolt-on part will give you hp,i would go with gears and a tune then go from their.

03 GT SUPERCHARGED-SOLD
2010 FUSION SPORT
2000 F-350 7.3L SD
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-23-2011 Thread Starter
Apprentice
V6 Member

yeah I heard gears would do great how much does that run

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-23-2011
Redlyr

Quote:
Originally Posted by mustangfan651 View Post
yeah I heard gears would do great how much does that run
For gears, T-Lok, bearing kit, fluids and install, they cost me $700.

On you original question. Exhaust will give you ~5hp and the CAI 2-3hp.
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-23-2011
MACH I Member
V6 Member
5.0L Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redlyr View Post
For gears, T-Lok, bearing kit, fluids and install, they cost me $700.

Thank god there is someone here with real life CAI and exhaust experience to give a realistic number.

You could possibly get the rear setup cheaper if you get a complete rear from a wrecked GT. That should cost anywhere between 100-$250 depending on if it's from a u-pull it or classifieds. Might even find one that already has lower gears. Typical gear install labor charge is around $250.
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-24-2011
BOSS Member
V6 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redlyr View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by metalman302 View Post
Thank god there is someone here with real life CAI and exhaust experience to give a realistic number.
what are you two talking about? We all know you get 50+ horsepower with a CAI and a muffler ahhh it's fun to get to play around every once in a while lol

in all seriousness I agree it's not much, but I have seen the long tubes play with the common notion of what exhaust does for you, like I mentioned in another thread a minute ago, I saw a dyno graph where there was like 8-10 horsepower difference between a true dual setup with short tube headers and one with long tubes, but I think they were dyno tuning it for the Lt's and shorties so I'm sure that played with it too and it was tuned with the shorties that were on there, man I wish I could find that thing again....

BV heads, P&P lower, windstar upper, comp 218/226, 4.2 bottom end, 3k stall, flow 40's, O/R x-pipe, Pacesetter lt's, Xcal2, 65mm tb, CAI, 8.8 w/ 3.73's, MM LCA's
coming soon: blower cam and intercooled M112
dealer for Ortiz Performance; tunes, cams, etc. PM me!
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-24-2011 Thread Starter
Apprentice
V6 Member

yeah I wanted to do the cai just cause it's one of those easy very common mods better mpg's that's always good as for the exhaust I guess that would be more of a better sound factor then horse power the gears sounds like a good idea so I'm to save up for that and I even ran across a super charger for my mustang so that's probably as much as I can do I mean it's a 6 cylinder not a gt unless you guys know anything else I can do
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-24-2011
PONY Member
V6 Member

The exhaust and CAI sets you up for new gears and a tuner. Installation of just 3.73 gears and bearing kit cost me $500.00
Same price for the tuner and dyno files too as a matter of fact.
Before jumping to a supercharger, the dual exhaust will be needed and it contributes HP growth. So will the tuner. The gears are just a very common find on a lot of V6's (its the only way to get it moving). New set of gears also help put the car on a more even playing field with any modern car that now gets them factory,.
Its all good...

'97 3.8 Pacific Green
Modified~
1996 SVT COBRA
White
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-24-2011
PONY Member
V6 Member

Quote:
yeah I wanted to do the cai just cause it's one of those easy very common mods better mpg's that's always good as for the exhaust I guess that would be more of a better sound factor then horse power the gears sounds like a good idea so I'm to save up for that and I even ran across a super charger for my mustang so that's probably as much as I can do I mean it's a 6 cylinder not a gt unless you guys know anything else I can do
The last part of your post says "its not a GT"- No its not but your V6 can be modified to out perform a GT and a lot more. An entire book can be written on what you can do. Take a look at all of the "stickys" that describe many ways to get yourself moving down the road in a quick way.

'97 3.8 Pacific Green
Modified~
1996 SVT COBRA
White
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-24-2011 Thread Starter
Apprentice
V6 Member

WHAT???? I could tune my car to out perform a GT damn :kooky: that's awesome how much HP have you gained in your v6 so far
BOSS Member
V6 Member

Quote:
WHAT???? I could tune my car to out perform a GT damn :kooky: that's awesome how much HP have you gained in your v6 so far
Wow you are definently a noob to the V6 world lol
There are 9second V6's out there, and an all motor one that can run about mid 10's
You can make a V6 very fast if you wanted to, as for Mr. Robb I betcha he's got a heck of a lot of horsepower, the one thing not in the sig is his supercharger

BV heads, P&P lower, windstar upper, comp 218/226, 4.2 bottom end, 3k stall, flow 40's, O/R x-pipe, Pacesetter lt's, Xcal2, 65mm tb, CAI, 8.8 w/ 3.73's, MM LCA's
coming soon: blower cam and intercooled M112
dealer for Ortiz Performance; tunes, cams, etc. PM me!
SHELBY GT 350 Member
V6 Member

Quote:
no, you can MODIFY your car to outperform a GT, but simply tuning it you cant.. theres a difference in meaning, being specific avoids confusion

2003 3.8L V6 4R70W
Windstar Upper Intake with cool-air intake, MAC LT headers, BBK O/R H-pipe, and flow 40s, SCT tuner, FRPP Alum. D/S, 3.73 gears, Auburn HP limited slip, and Team Z LCAs, Eibach sway bars.
Best 1/4 time: 15.036 @90.92mph, 2.148 60'
Redlyr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markstang690 View Post
no, you can MODIFY your car to outperform a GT, but simply tuning it you cant.. theres a difference in meaning, being specific avoids confusion
+1
In my old '01 V6 I had these mods:
Go: True dual exhaust w/custom catted FlowTech X-pipe and Cherry Bomb Extremes dumped at the axle, AM CAI, VAP Auto intake spacer, 180* T-stat, Hurst base w/Steeda Tri-Ax handled shifter, Bamachips 91 Race tune, 245/45ZR17 BFG T/A KDWs, T-Lok, 3.73 gears

That was enough for me to keep up with 96-98 non-PI GT's. I could not keep up with stock 99-04's. Short of dumping another $3-4k into the car (head/cam/intake or nitrous), that is about as fast as you can go with bolt-ons.
MACH I Member
V6 Member
5.0L Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by robb15033 View Post
The last part of your post says "its not a GT"- No its not but your V6 can be modified to out perform a GT and a lot more. An entire book can be written on what you can do. Take a look at all of the "stickys" that describe many ways to get yourself moving down the road in a quick way.
Dude.... you can modify a Geo Metro to outperform a GT if you have enough money.

The sticky is just starter mods that will not get you outperforming GTs....... as Redlyr just stated. He did all of them and was only running with 96-98 GTs which were the slowest GTs out of 87- now BTW

Gonna take any one of these:
1. NOS
2. Heads, cam, intake
3. Boost
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-24-2011 Thread Starter
Apprentice
V6 Member

Yeah I am a noob this is my first mustang but these tips are ******* great thanks guys oh coarse I got to save because that's a lot of money but over time well worth it my question is would I have to tune my car right after putting duals in and a cai with everything else yeah I would duh but just the starting out stuff

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page