Has anyone swapped a fox 5.0/302 into a 99-04 V6? - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-24-2011 Thread Starter
Rookie

Has anyone swapped a fox 5.0/302 into a 99-04 V6?

I've read a few threads on this subject and from what I've gathered it is fairly simple to drop it in and bolt it up to the stock motor mount locations.
I'm looking for someone who has done this swap before or a link to a descriptive thread so I can ask some questions.
I just want to know a few thing before I go through with the swap:

1) I know the T5 transmission works with the fox 5.0/302 but will I need a new bell housing?
2) Can I use the computer out of an OBD2 fox?
3) Is there any modification needed to the stock brake lines or anything else because I've heard of people swapping these engines then having to change a bunch of random things you would never link with an engine swap.

I have a friend who does a lot of odd engine swaps at her shop and she is going to give me a really cheap price on it because she is sponsoring the finished car.
I also work at an auto parts store and my friend gets shop discounts so getting odd parts isn't too expensive.
I already know that it makes more sense to just buy a V8 but that's not what I'm asking so don't tell me to do it.

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-24-2011
MACH I Member
V6 Member
5.0L Member

How do you figure it will bolt the stock K member, when both Ford and every aftermarket company use different K members for 4.6 or 5.0 cars?

1. You will need a 94 95 GT bellhousing. 3.8 uses the same bolt pattern but the starter is in a different spot for the different sized flywheels. You cannot use a fox bell unless you get the fox input shaft swapped onto your trans since 94+ inputs & bells are longer.

2. THere is no OBD2 fox. The explorers did however have OBD2 and DIS and 5.0s. So that would work but it would be quite involved.

3. The 94+ cars V6 and V8 have mostly the same stuff. I think you are thinking of a foxbody 4cyl to V8 swap where A-arms and weird stuff were different. SN95 V6 does have a smaller rear end... but all the brake hardware is a direct swap onto a GT rear if you do upgrade.

post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-25-2011 Thread Starter
Rookie

Thanks, those were the kind of answers that I couldn't find clear answers to anywhere!

As far as the k-member goes I've heard all sorts of things about it so I'll have to look deeper into it and see if the stock one can be modified of if a new/custom one is required.
I don't have a load of info on everything quite yet but I'm hoping to compile as much as I can so I get all the parts and avoid hiccups.

So all I'm looking at swapping the bell housing and modifying a few mounts as far as the major mechanical work is concerned?

The wiring harness isn't a huge concern of mine because the tech also has a lot of experience making custom ones.
I'll get a harness of a random 5.0 like you suggested and he should be able to make it work.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-25-2011
GT Member
V6 Member
5.0L Member

Send a message via Yahoo to StalkerStang
Maximum Motorsports makes K members that will allow a 5.0 in a 96 and newer car, and also K members for 95 and older to accept modular motors.

In theory, a K member from a sn95 5.0 (94/95) would also work, but I would use the A-arms, brakes and suspension, from the 99-04 car.

Just curious though, if you are going through the work to put a pushrod in a 96+ car, why not go 351? Same mounting, as 302, you need headers and the like anyways...

Jesse Berger
90 LX, Previous 4 cyl.
408W In the Works
TW FAC's, Jay Allen cam, Super Victor

2001 V6 5 Speed Daily Driver
Windstar Intake, Dual Exhuast, CAI, Headers
Best ET: [email protected] mph (on 18's)
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-25-2011
MACH I Member
V6 Member
5.0L Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 03v6 View Post
Thanks, those were the kind of answers that I couldn't find clear answers to anywhere!

As far as the k-member goes I've heard all sorts of things about it so I'll have to look deeper into it and see if the stock one can be modified of if a new/custom one is required.
I don't have a load of info on everything quite yet but I'm hoping to compile as much as I can so I get all the parts and avoid hiccups.

So all I'm looking at swapping the bell housing and modifying a few mounts as far as the major mechanical work is concerned?

The wiring harness isn't a huge concern of mine because the tech also has a lot of experience making custom ones.
I'll get a harness of a random 5.0 like you suggested and he should be able to make it work.
You could maybe make conversion motor mounts but if it's possibly IDK why anyone hasn't sold them commercially yet?

I am sure there will be a million little details that will come up.

Random 5.0 harness? Did you mis-type OBDII? Or are you trying to be emissions legal so you DO need OBDII?

Quote:
Originally Posted by StalkerStang View Post
Maximum Motorsports makes K members that will allow a 5.0 in a 96 and newer car, and also K members for 95 and older to accept modular motors.

In theory, a K member from a sn95 5.0 (94/95) would also work, but I would use the A-arms, brakes and suspension, from the 99-04 car.

Just curious though, if you are going through the work to put a pushrod in a 96+ car, why not go 351? Same mounting, as 302, you need headers and the like anyways...
A-arms are the same on all. Brakes are all compatible except for clearancing the 94-98 spindles to accept the 99+ PBR calipers. It would be more ideal to keep the 5.0 or 4.6 (all 96-04) K member and A arms together and not mis match. Seen the difference in tie rod arm height between 5.0 and 4.6 spindles? Well that is because the rack height on the K member was lowered to make more room for the big modular engine. So if you mismatch you will be increasing the angle of your tie rod and increasing bump steer.

By the way... have you noticed 9/10 engine swap threads are first posts by noobs who magically disapear?

We need an engine swap sticky....
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-25-2011 Thread Starter
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by StalkerStang View Post

I was thinking 302 because I can buy one from a friend for pretty cheap.
I would like to do a 351 but I don't know about passing emissions.
It wouldn't be a cake walk with either engine but I could keep OBD2 if I went with the 5.0...unless there was a 351W with OBD2...but I'm almost posative there wasn't.

I'll do a 351 if I can find one cheap-ish.
I'll just ahve to find a shop to slap a sticker on it
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-25-2011
MACH I Member
V6 Member
5.0L Member

Almost everything from 302 and 351 will interchange. So any 302 EEC will work with a tune.

I forgot, 1996 Broncos and F150s had OBD2 and 302 or 351.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page