E-brake question - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-26-2011 Thread Starter
Rookie

E-brake question

1995 V6 Vert
Started my list for what i wanted to do this summer and right now it is fixing my e-brake. I snapped one of the connecting chords before fall and have held off on fixing it for a while. I was wondering if anyone can tell me how i can identify if it is the upper or lower chords and what kind of work i am looking at on fixing it. Thanks

1995 3.8L Convertible

-True Duals(coming soon)
-CAI
-Reverse glow gauges
- Searching for an 8.8 rear end
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-26-2011
Apprentice

When you pull the brake handle, does just one of the wheels lock up or neither? If only one locks up, then that means the other cable is broken. If neither of them lock up, then its probably the equalizer cable coming directly off the handle. A visual inspection of the equalizer cable would probably show it snapped, if thats the case. The individual cables are easy to replace.

Remove the center console, screws under the shift boot and armrest lid. The service manual says to pull the equalizer cable from underneath the car while inserting a pin into a hole in the side of the pulley. Though if you're careful, some people can rotate it with a pair of locking pliers. Its up to you and your level of ability though. This relieves the tension on the cables. The cables to each wheel are routed under and through parts of the body and the ends just come loose, though there should be locking tab on a bracket under the body near the equalizer. The equalizer cable is a bit trickier, but nothing too hard.

If it is one of the cables to the individual wheels, with the tension released, check the free motion of the cable on the other side of the vehicle. The cable inside should freely move, if not you might as well replace it while you're under there.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	STB~us~en~file=H5188B_gif~gen~ref.gif
Views:	412
Size:	9.5 KB
ID:	125652  
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-26-2011 Thread Starter
Rookie

When i pull the handle it freely moves up light it is not connected to anything. I can literally rip it up with no tension on the other side.

1995 3.8L Convertible

-True Duals(coming soon)
-CAI
-Reverse glow gauges
- Searching for an 8.8 rear end

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-26-2011
Apprentice

Either pull the center console or safely lift the car and look under it for a broken equalizer cable.

If it is the equalizer cable, it can be found here 1994-98 Mustang Front Parking Brake Cable by Ford at LRS - Same Day Shipping!. (First link I found, probably others sell it too.)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page