2001 Mustang Transmission related. - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 03-26-2011 Thread Starter
Apprentice

Send a message via Yahoo to SuperPonylover
Post 2001 Mustang Transmission related.

Okay, this is a lot of info so bear with me.
My transmission is an AODE from the 2001 convertible models. My problems started when I started hearing a CLUNK! after shifting from Neutral, into Reverse. Then, while going back you could hear a loud whine that turned into a high-pitched whine the faster you backed up. If you dumped the gas while going backwards, you would feel a THUD! or a CLUNK! noise and the car would act like you're moving in reverse while there is a gear engaged. It would come to a stop very fast.

Now, my biggest mistake was servicing my transmission. By manufacturer specs., you're suppose to service it every 30K to 35K miles. Mine had 90,000m when it started acting up 65,000m when I got it. I serviced the transmission and found the dust plug they put in them from the factory to avoid contamination from the assembly line. Whoever had this car before didn't care about it.

Anyway, it went downhill from there to the point I ordered a new transmission and swapped it myself. Now, here is the real problem. More than 48 hours of labor and $1600+ dollars later, the RPMs are redlining at around 45 to 55 mph in the speedometer. It would not go into OVERDRIVE. I made the mistake of overfilling the transmission and it ran on jackstands for about 1/4 mile or more, the same as 2 minutes in Reverse gear. I corrected the fluids, and started over. Now I have codes P0755 and P0750, I have the Overdrive (O/D OFF) light blinking, I have the (TCS OFF) button with the OFF light allowing wheelspin turned on permanent and all connectors have been double-checked & tripple-checked. For some reason it doesn't seem to shift or engage into overdrive. I need my MUSTANG running, to me he's more than just a car. If anyone would understand it would be a MUSTANG owner like you reading this. So, if you can show me a light, I would deeply, deeply appreciate it.

~Alex.

-SPIRIT, The Unbridled White MUSTANG
facebook.com/
aMUSTANGstory

"Drive what you build, build what you love, love what you drive."

You could say: "I SPENT A LOT ON MY MUSTANG" but it will never mean:
"I WORKED DAY AND NIGHT TO MAKE IT RUN AND ROAR THE WAY IT DOES NOW."
-Garcia
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 03-26-2011
Redlyr

Your trans is a 4R70W not an AODE.

post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 03-27-2011 Thread Starter
Apprentice

Send a message via Yahoo to SuperPonylover
4r70w = aode ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redlyr View Post
Your trans is a 4R70W not an AODE.
You are definitely right, now it is to my understanding that the 4R70W models are Automatic OverDrive Electronic transmissions (AODE).

Now, is there a transmission control module or some type of electronic that would be directly related to the overdrive or 4th speed? Overdrive is not kicking in, I believe that 1ST, 2ND and 3RD speeds are clutchpacks, but 4TH speed (OVERDRIVE) is a band. Am I correct?
Thanks in advance!

~Alex

-SPIRIT, The Unbridled White MUSTANG
facebook.com/
aMUSTANGstory

"Drive what you build, build what you love, love what you drive."

You could say: "I SPENT A LOT ON MY MUSTANG" but it will never mean:
"I WORKED DAY AND NIGHT TO MAKE IT RUN AND ROAR THE WAY IT DOES NOW."
-Garcia
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
aode , automatic , overdrive , transmission , transmission automatic

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page