Gas smell after cranking - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-30-2011 Thread Starter
Rookie
V6 Member

Gas smell after cranking

I have a 2000 3.8 after i crank it you can smell gas real bad.It uses more gas than ever,need help.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-30-2011
PONY Member

The smell of gas and such after cranking is saying you probably do not have any spark at the plugs and that is why it is not running. This can be from so many things that you need to do a lot more investigating as to the cause. I assume you have had this read for any error codes ?

post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-30-2011
Apprentice
5.0L Member

+1,no spark=no ignited gas=unburned fuel in the combustion chambers

94 GT 306,Keith Black 12.5:1 Dometop pistons,manley valves.1.6RR,stud gridle,gear drive,TF Track Heat lower and upper intake Polished,30lb Ford Racing Injectors,walboro 255lph fuel pump, Saleen Rims with NItto NT555, King Cobra Clutch,3:73 gears,MSD Ignition,BBK Headers, Mac O/r Xpipe,Short Shifter

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-31-2011
Rookie

If that isnt the cause, you could check your air filter. You could be burning rich due to low oxygen?
Or on the otherhand burning lean and smelling the excess return? Could be the sending:?:
Start easy and work cheap is my favorite motto. Spark plugs, wires, and air filter are easy, after that it could get more complicated.

Just trying to get the 02 steady again...

Last edited by connor651; 03-31-2011 at 04:43 AM. Reason: a$$ backwards.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-31-2011 Thread Starter
Rookie
V6 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fixer1 View Post
The smell of gas and such after cranking is saying you probably do not have any spark at the plugs and that is why it is not running. This can be from so many things that you need to do a lot more investigating as to the cause. I assume you have had this read for any error codes ?
Ive changed the plugs,wires and fuel injectors and checked the compression its 130 is that good?Thanks for any help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page