What about 5w-30 oil on a 98K miles V6? - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-03-2011 Thread Starter
Rookie
V6 Member

What about 5w-30 oil on a 98K miles V6?

Yesterday I asked on a service station for 5w-20 oil change. The technician told me that he'd recommend a 5w-30 oil because of the high mileage. Was he right, or should I keep using the 5w-20 recommended oil? My pony lives in a tropical area, not too cold, not to hot.

Thanks for any comment!

--
2002 Green 3.8L V6 Auto
Stock-ish, 97,500 miles
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-03-2011
MACH I Member

Garage
I wouldn't do it. The car calls for 5W-20, not some guys opinion. The only consideration for choosing oil weights is temperature, not mileage. Besides that, 5W-20 is either semi-synthetic of full synthetic only compared to 5W-30 that can be any type. Ignore his "advice" and stick to 5W-20.

1988 Mustang LX coupe will miss you greatly
traded for:
2004 Mazda 6s 5 door Sport w/5spd/3.0/RX8wheels/Kon/Eibach/and then some

post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-03-2011
Banned
4.6L Member

it makes no difference, modern oils have so many additives that as long as the oil is changed regularly the motor will be fine. It's been shown that grocery store oil protects as well as full synthetic. Personally I wouldn't test that theory and always run Mobil 1, 10-30 and as a result my Cobra has over 200K miles without an issue, the last 75K with the supercharger.

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-03-2011
PONY Member
4.6L Member

Im running 10-30 in my 98 with 130k miles and it gets the same mpg and has been just fine. The thinner 5-20 is designed for start up anti wear since 90% of wear happens at start up. However its being said now that start vs the actual running with any synthetic your engine is protected. Besides all oil once at the operating temp is a 10 w any how, so it all depends on how cold it is in your region that would make the most difference on what weight you use. Your car will be fine as long as its semi or full synthetic. IMO it would be fine even if its a reg oil.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-03-2011
Apprentice
V6 Member

I'm running 5W-30 as well, Mobil 1 Full Synthetic. I used to take it to a dealer for oil change and they've used 5W-20, then later on used 5w-30. Even on parts counter they tell me to use that since I have now a high mileage. Currently I have 93K+ miles.

Play hard, Rock harder.
2002 Mustang V6, AT
K&N Air Intake/Tokico HP Series Shocks & Struts
Mach 1 Chin Spoiler/Fog Lights
Dual Flowmaster 40 Series Delta Flow
(That's all folks!)
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-03-2011 Thread Starter
Rookie
V6 Member

Thanks guys, I appreciate your replies.

--
2002 Green 3.8L V6 Auto
Stock-ish, 97,500 miles
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-04-2011
GT Member
V6 Member
5.0L Member

Send a message via Yahoo to StalkerStang
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Manystangs View Post
it makes no difference, modern oils have so many additives that as long as the oil is changed regularly the motor will be fine. It's been shown that grocery store oil protects as well as full synthetic. Personally I wouldn't test that theory and always run Mobil 1, 10-30 and as a result my Cobra has over 200K miles without an issue, the last 75K with the supercharger.
That sir is not correct. When you see numerous new 3V F150's come into the Ford dealer with rattling valvetrain because the owner said 5w20 is "too thin" and he stuffs 10w40 in there like his old 70's Ford used to run on, then you will see why Ford says it takes 5w20.

I also wouldn't test the "theory" as well. Manufactures don't run synthetic oils from the factory for hype, it costs too damn much. Parts last longer on synthetic fluids, how else do we have "sealed" auto trannies and 150K+ service intervals on rear-ends? Saves them warranty costs. Only thing I would say is to stick with a certain brand, additives vary (if slighlty) between brands and types. Weird build-ups happen when you go from brand to brand to brand on oils.

I have over 150K on my 01 with 5w20. Unless you have had someone machine larger tolerances into the rotating assembly or have modified the valvetrain to a point where it needs a heavier weight oil, then run what it says on the cap. Why fix what isn't broken?

Jesse Berger
90 LX, Previous 4 cyl.
408W In the Works
TW FAC's, Jay Allen cam, Super Victor

2001 V6 5 Speed Daily Driver
Windstar Intake, Dual Exhuast, CAI, Headers
Best ET: [email protected] mph (on 18's)
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-04-2011
Redlyr

I'll just say I used 10w-30 in my '01 for 20k miles. I listened to my dad once and put in 20w-50 in it. He has been a mechanic for 35 years and has been building race cars for 11 years. By the end of that oil change the rear main seal had blow...
Don't always take the mechanics advice. Run what it says to run unless you have problems.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-04-2011 Thread Starter
Rookie
V6 Member

Thanks Red and Stalker. I totally agree with you.
I had made my decision on 5w20 as the cap and owner's manual say, and your comments make it clearer to me.

--
2002 Green 3.8L V6 Auto
Stock-ish, 97,500 miles
PONY Member
4.6L Member

All you will ever need to know about oil plain and simple. so throw all the old tales about what to run and what not to run and when out the door.

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com

enjoy, i know i did, and learned alot.

Last edited by Subpath; 04-04-2011 at 06:29 PM. Reason: left stuff out.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page