Need help doing a V6 to V8 swap as well as an auto to manual swap - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-03-2011 Thread Starter
MACH I Member
V6 Member

Send a message via MSN to Derfdog15 Send a message via Yahoo to Derfdog15
Need help doing a V6 to V8 swap as well as an auto to manual swap

Hey guys, a friend of mine works for a rowing company around my area and they have a GT in the 99-04 year range, he wasn't exactly sure when he told me. Basically they want $1000 for the whole car. I would like to swap the V8 into my 2003 V6 as well as take the 5speed from the donor and replace my auto. I know it will be a pain but to me its worth it since i have already put about 3k into the appearance of my car and would rather not get a new car.

I know i will need to swap the rear end as well as the ECU and cluster, what else am i going to need to swap. Please don't tell me I'm better of modding the V6 since i know he V6 wouldn't last as long with a supercharger and nos.

Anyways I'm just wondering what else I am going to need to swap besides what i have mentioned above.

Thanks!

2003 Redfire V6,
Show: Smoked everything, cobra front bumper, gt rear bumper, rear decklid and lower valence blackout with black mustang letters, 5% rear front 15%, black 98 Cobra rims front, 95 Cobra R rear black with chrome lip, black scoops and spoiler and exhaust tips

Go: CAI, True Duals with flowmaster super 44's, Bama Tune, full suspension (lowered, 8.8, 4.10s, UCA, LCA, springs, CC plates)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-03-2011
SHELBY GT 350 Member
V6 Member

its actually easier to swap the engine and transmission all at once like that.. take a look at the v8 swap sticky that we made, and see if it doesnt answer your questions... full donor car is the most recommended situation to have so im not going to dismiss it right away..

2003 3.8L V6 4R70W
Windstar Upper Intake with cool-air intake, MAC LT headers, BBK O/R H-pipe, and flow 40s, SCT tuner, FRPP Alum. D/S, 3.73 gears, Auburn HP limited slip, and Team Z LCAs, Eibach sway bars.
Best 1/4 time: 15.036 @90.92mph, 2.148 60'
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-03-2011 Thread Starter
MACH I Member
V6 Member

thanks for letting me know about that thread. Answered 99% of my questions. However i recently had a true dual exhaust installed so would that portion of the swap apply or can i just undo the piping from manifolds and hook it up to the new engine?

2003 Redfire V6,
Show: Smoked everything, cobra front bumper, gt rear bumper, rear decklid and lower valence blackout with black mustang letters, 5% rear front 15%, black 98 Cobra rims front, 95 Cobra R rear black with chrome lip, black scoops and spoiler and exhaust tips

Go: CAI, True Duals with flowmaster super 44's, Bama Tune, full suspension (lowered, 8.8, 4.10s, UCA, LCA, springs, CC plates)

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-03-2011
SHELBY GT 350 Member
V6 Member

what kind of dual setup do you have?

2003 3.8L V6 4R70W
Windstar Upper Intake with cool-air intake, MAC LT headers, BBK O/R H-pipe, and flow 40s, SCT tuner, FRPP Alum. D/S, 3.73 gears, Auburn HP limited slip, and Team Z LCAs, Eibach sway bars.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-03-2011 Thread Starter
MACH I Member
V6 Member

its true duals from a local shop, we cut the Y pipe after the cats and did straight pipes to the flowmaster super 44's then from there the piping at the axle to 3.5" tips

2003 Redfire V6,

post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-03-2011
SHELBY GT 350 Member
V6 Member

a v6 midpipe will not bolt up to v8 headers so youll need to use the v8's midpipe and custom connect your catback to it

2003 3.8L V6 4R70W
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-04-2011
MACH I Member
V6 Member
5.0L Member

Get the donor car and go for it!
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-04-2011
Apprentice

Do it for sure, its only 1000 bucks i would jump on it. Then if you have time swap the stuff from you six back into the gt body and sell it for like 1500. Then youve got yourself a v8 and 500 bucks.

1994 3.8 5 sped
Show: 15" Weld Racing Prostars, Crystal Clear Corner Lights
Go: Flowmaster 44's (Divorced)
Coming Soon: AM CAI, 3.73's, SCT 4 Bank Tuner, Split Port Swap, Cam
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-04-2011
MACH I Member
V6 Member
5.0L Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mxr708 View Post
Do it for sure, its only 1000 bucks i would jump on it. Then if you have time swap the stuff from you six back into the gt body and sell it for like 1500. Then youve got yourself a v8 and 500 bucks.
I'm assuming the GT is wrecked, or else there would be no need to swap ... just leave the two cars as they are.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-04-2011 Thread Starter
MACH I Member
V6 Member

yes it is a wrecked GT. was planning on using the donor for parts needed as well as a few exterior/interior parts which may be needed or look nice or might just be nice to have extras of. I am also saving my V6 and Automatic in case i ever need them. I will then sell off the other parts here and on craigslist.

2003 Redfire V6,

MACH I Member
V6 Member
5.0L Member

Seems silly to hang on to the extra V6 stuff unless you have a second V6 stang but whatever.

Make a build thread and post pics and info of the swap.
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-04-2011 Thread Starter
MACH I Member
V6 Member

yeah i do have a second 6er lol, its an 04 vert with a 3.9 which is auto so thats why ill be keeping the 6er parts. I will as soon as i get the GT and have the time to work on his project and my dad is home. Since im not 17 for another month and have not much mechanical experience i gotta wait for him.

2003 Redfire V6,

MACH I Member
V6 Member
5.0L Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derfdog15 View Post
yeah i do have a second 6er lol, its an 04 vert with a 3.9 which is auto so thats why ill be keeping the 6er parts. I will as soon as i get the GT and have the time to work on his project and my dad is home. Since im not 17 for another month and have not much mechanical experience i gotta wait for him.
If you don't already have one.... buy yourself a Chiltons and start reading ...... young grasshopper lol.
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-05-2011 Thread Starter
MACH I Member
V6 Member

lol I've got one, id still rather wait though cause i know its gonna be hard at times and require a bit of help.

2003 Redfire V6,

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page