Modified Exhaust - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-03-2011 Thread Starter
Apprentice

Modified Exhaust

Alright, so I have a 2010 V6 and my dad seems to think that Modifying the exhaust goes against one of the emission laws, the thing I would be doing is going from single to dual. Is this true? I was going to try and get the Pypes true dual but the guy at the muffler store said it was illegal to modify exhaust. Help would be nice

Performance Mods- Dual exhaust (Straight pipes to flomasters), BBK CAI, 93R Bama Race Tune

Appearance Mods- 20% Tint, tinted lights all around, 1/4 louvers, Black A.M. 18" Rims, Black Boss 302 Style Striping, Black Rear window louvers.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-03-2011
SHELBY GT 350 Member
V6 Member

you're violating federal law if you remove the catalytic converters.. however just removing the muffler, and splitting the midpipe to make duals is not illegal by any means

2003 3.8L V6 4R70W
Windstar Upper Intake with cool-air intake, MAC LT headers, BBK O/R H-pipe, and flow 40s, SCT tuner, FRPP Alum. D/S, 3.73 gears, Auburn HP limited slip, and Team Z LCAs, Eibach sway bars.
Best 1/4 time: 15.036 @90.92mph, 2.148 60'
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-04-2011
Redlyr

The rule of thumb is anything after the cats is fair game to modify.
That being said, if modifying the exhaust was illegal, you would have to lock up 99% of the forum.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-04-2011
MACH I Member

Garage
Check your local laws instead of listening to the lawyers on this forum. There are a ton of things that are illegal to do to a car but most of the time either the cops don't know or care and people never get hit with the fines. There is no rule of thumb, only rule of law.

Federal law makes it illegal to modify or remove any emissions control device on a car. The fines are high, but enforcement is low.

State law adds another layer to the motor vehicle laws. Most likely it is not against the law to do what you want, but if you pay close attention to most descriptions for auto parts on performance websites most clearly state off-road use only so that in the event of a ticket they are not responsible, you are.

1988 Mustang LX coupe will miss you greatly
traded for:
2004 Mazda 6s 5 door Sport w/5spd/3.0/RX8wheels/Kon/Eibach/and then some

post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-04-2011
PONY Member
V6 Member

Its not illegal as determined in the prior posts but I would stay away from the persons who told you it was (accept your Dad) and look into something other than the Pypes set up. That is a fantastic car you have and you would be doing yourself a favor by contacting your local Mustang shop and working with them to appropriately modify your exhaust in a way to compliment performance and the car as a whole. Borla products would work nicely. Ford Racing has a GTA 4" (as opposed to the 3.5" to stay away from)tip package to put on.

'97 3.8 Pacific Green
Modified~
1996 SVT COBRA
White
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-04-2011
MACH I Member
V6 Member

Send a message via MSN to Derfdog15 Send a message via Yahoo to Derfdog15
as others said a local mustang shop would be a great place to start and as with many things we do to our cars laws may be broken but they probably wont be enforced (like the 5% tint i have on my rear windows). As long as u leave the piping from the manifolds to the cats you should be fine.

2003 Redfire V6,
Show: Smoked everything, cobra front bumper, gt rear bumper, rear decklid and lower valence blackout with black mustang letters, 5% rear front 15%, black 98 Cobra rims front, 95 Cobra R rear black with chrome lip, black scoops and spoiler and exhaust tips

Go: CAI, True Duals with flowmaster super 44's, Bama Tune, full suspension (lowered, 8.8, 4.10s, UCA, LCA, springs, CC plates)
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-06-2011
Rookie

modded exhaust

I'm about to do this myself. I looked at the Pypes stuff, my guess is you were probably trying to do an off road kit. They do sell full systems with cats just a little more expensive.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page