1997 Mustang alignment issues - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-06-2011 Thread Starter
Rookie

1997 Mustang alignment issues

So, got some new wheels and tires on and went to go get it aligned yestrerday, went to Sears and it was gonna be like $75 for alignment, anyways I get a call about 20 minutes later saying my inner's and one of my outer tie rods is pretty much shot, parts and labor to fix was gonna be $430, said they couldnt align it without the parts, and theres no way i could afford it so i left, anyways I dunno what a car drives like with bad tie rods, but all i know about mine is it veers a little bit to the right, and it dont ride rough, and my last set of tires looked fine except my right front was wore on the outer side, but i figured that was just where it needed aligned, right?

Show:HID Kit 8000K, Clear headlights with leds, Sony CD with 2 10 inch JL's and sittin on some 2004 40th Anniversary Mustang Wheels wrapped in Kumho Ecsta rubber

Go: for now AM CAI, BBK UDP's, and AM Short-Throw,
in the near furture hopefully Split port swap, cat back exhaust, really wanna go side exit
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-06-2011
Apprentice
V6 Member

Sounds like it is out of alignment if one of the front tires is wearing on the outside and it pulls to the right. You might try taking somewhere else to verify the tie rod is bad and see if they can align it.

On our 2001 V6 the only way we could get it in spec was to buy camber plates and then have it aligned. After that it goes straight as an arrow and the tires look great. Good luck.

post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-06-2011 Thread Starter
Rookie

thats what i'm thinking too, im not saying it doesnt need tie rod's i doubt it has had any put on it since 97 but still, i think they saw me coming if ya know what i mean, but yea definetly a second opinion, appreciate it man and thanks for a quick reply

Show:HID Kit 8000K, Clear headlights with leds, Sony CD with 2 10 inch JL's and sittin on some 2004 40th Anniversary Mustang Wheels wrapped in Kumho Ecsta rubber

Go: for now AM CAI, BBK UDP's, and AM Short-Throw,
in the near furture hopefully Split port swap, cat back exhaust, really wanna go side exit

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-06-2011
Apprentice
V6 Member

ya the bad thing is you cant properly set the alignment with bad front end parts but i would get a second look at it because they can be confused alot
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-06-2011
MACH I Member

Garage
Tires are wearing wrong because of bad alignment.

$430 for parts and labor for that job from Sears is not a bad deal.

Noone can align the car with bad parts. If they do they should be put out of business for ripping you off because it cannot be done with bad parts.

1988 Mustang LX coupe will miss you greatly
traded for:
2004 Mazda 6s 5 door Sport w/5spd/3.0/RX8wheels/Kon/Eibach/and then some

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page