Massive oil problem! - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-06-2011 Thread Starter
Rookie

Massive oil problem!

Ok, so first i would like to address the oil pressure gauge on the dash. When I idle at a stop light or have the clutch down while in a parking area, the little needle goes crazy close to the low pressure area. It's a rapid back and foward movement. When i press the gas it goes to what appears to be normal. A little over the half mark. Now the biggest problem! So, I had an oil change a few months ago. The oil is gone after a month . I pull out the dip stick and its dry (after four quarts a months before). So i'm having to add oil now every so often because it keeps disappearing. I don't know if it's a leak or if it's getting burnt up. Today i checked it and it was sooo dry. I had to put another quart till i do a another oil change tomorrow. I switched to full synthetic to clean out any old gunk (10w-30 castorl syntec). I'll see how it does after that. Where is my oil going and is it causing the problems on the dash? I'm confused out of my mind.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-06-2011 Thread Starter
Rookie

Forgot to mention its a 1997 3.8L, incase that is relivent.

post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-06-2011
MACH I Member
V6 Member
5.0L Member

This should be obvious, but if there is almost no oil, you'll suck up air and have no oil pressure.

It's either burning due to engine wear, or leaking. So is your car a smoker or a dripper? lol What is the mileage?

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-06-2011 Thread Starter
Rookie

The odometer wasn't working when i bought it. Stoped at 157,000 miles. Wish the guy would have taken better care of it. Um, im not entirely sure about smoker and dripper things. I'm really hoping to learn alot about cars from this. So im a beginner. Sorry not i'm not much help. Elaborate on smoker or dripper please.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-06-2011
MACH I Member
V6 Member
5.0L Member

Lol

Does smoke come out of the exhaust pipe?

Is there oil drips under where you park the car?
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-06-2011
SHELBY GT 350 Member
V6 Member

the exhaust either has a blue tinge to it (the oil is burning off) or its leaking somewhere and dripping on your driveway leaving a puddle.. these are not technical terms by any means.. just the only way oil would disappear

2003 3.8L V6 4R70W
Windstar Upper Intake with cool-air intake, MAC LT headers, BBK O/R H-pipe, and flow 40s, SCT tuner, FRPP Alum. D/S, 3.73 gears, Auburn HP limited slip, and Team Z LCAs, Eibach sway bars.
Best 1/4 time: 15.036 @90.92mph, 2.148 60'
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-06-2011 Thread Starter
Rookie

Well a small bit of white smoke every now and then from the exhaust, and as for drips, well those appear sporadically. I'll see black marks on my driveway from under the car every so often. It's not always.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-07-2011
MACH I Member
V6 Member
5.0L Member

Probably a combination of engine wear and leak.

Rebuilt heads would probably do wonders for the engine. Worn valve guides are common cause of burning oil. RIngs are probably very worn with the high mileage and burning some too.

Degrease your engine and figure out where it's leaking.

Consider looking for a used engine with lower mileage.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-07-2011
Rookie

when you switched to synthetic it probably ate away at some of the gaskets your engine oil made from running conventional. if it was a dripper before it sure is now.
BOSS Member
V6 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by metalman302 View Post
Probably a combination of engine wear and leak.

Rebuilt heads would probably do wonders for the engine. Worn valve guides are common cause of burning oil. RIngs are probably very worn with the high mileage and burning some too.

Degrease your engine and figure out where it's leaking.

Consider looking for a used engine with lower mileage.
I think there is a third possibility, he has another thread about black gunk in the radiator, maybe there is a bad leak inside the engine causing it to go into the cooling system, along with the oil consumption of the older motor and the occasional leak he is seeing, an engine rebuild with new gaskets sounds like it would fix the problem, or as you suggested finding a new motor and installing it which is probably cheaper than paying to have motor rebuilt and reinstLling it

BV heads, P&P lower, windstar upper, comp 218/226, 4.2 bottom end, 3k stall, flow 40's, O/R x-pipe, Pacesetter lt's, Xcal2, 65mm tb, CAI, 8.8 w/ 3.73's, MM LCA's
coming soon: blower cam and intercooled M112
dealer for Ortiz Performance; tunes, cams, etc. PM me!
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-07-2011 Thread Starter
Rookie

Thanks everyone. Now i worried about the oil im wanting to put in. I havent used the full synthetic yet. I was hoping to do that today. I'll degrease the engine an check it out. I don't have a full idea of what ill be looking for but i'll try. Hey, is there a way to get the odometer working again? (probably a beginner question)
Rookie

i would de grease as much of the engine as possible get it as clean as you can and then when you put new oil in throw some UV dye with it. You can find it at oreilleys or any auto store i imagine.

run the engine for a bit and then jack it up and hopefully it will help you find out where your leak is
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page