Massive radiator problem! - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-06-2011 Thread Starter
Rookie

Exclamation Massive radiator problem!

I have a 1997 3.8L, and when i bought it we discovered a black gunk near the cap of the radiator. Almost as if it were oil. We flushed it. Also the resevoir had half radiator fluid half black gunk. We cleared that out as well. Replaced it all with new fluid. Ok, fast foward a year, and here I am today with the same problem. More gunk. Its a thick black sludge. I can run my finger around the edge of where the cap sits (inside of course) and i will get a thick sludge on my finger with a little bit of clear liquid around it. I was told by some guy that it could be a leak sealer. Wouldn't that have been washed out with the first flush. Then wouldn't there have been a leak. If its something differen't like oil, what could be the cause. Oil is causing so many problems for me! Ugh! please help.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-06-2011
Apprentice

My first thought is that the cooling system was both poorly taken care and a leak sealer. If it were oil you would notice a decrease when you check it and also i wouldn't imagine it being thick and gunky if that makes sense. The oil wouldn't mix with the coolant like that. Most likely you will have to replace the radiator and thoroughly flush the system again. Good luck, I hope that helps a little.

1989 Ford Mustang Lx 5.0 T-5 5 speed converted, completely stock, Deep Emerald Green, 5 lug conversion, Cobra Wheels, UPR rear upper and lower tubular control arms, UPR tubular k-member kit, UPR caster/camber plates; 347 stroker (Eagle crank and rods) AFR 205 heads....
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-06-2011 Thread Starter
Rookie

Thanks. That helps. At, least i can ditch the oil idea. I'll see about a radiator.

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-07-2011
Apprentice
V6 Member

I would completely flush the entire cooling system and add fresh anitfreeze. If you just drain and refill the radiator most of the gunk will still remain.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-07-2011
SHELBY GT 350 Member
V6 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PowerbyFord View Post
My first thought is that the cooling system was both poorly taken care and a leak sealer. If it were oil you would notice a decrease when you check it and also i wouldn't imagine it being thick and gunky if that makes sense. The oil wouldn't mix with the coolant like that. Most likely you will have to replace the radiator and thoroughly flush the system again. Good luck, I hope that helps a little.
in another thread he has, he said hes been using 4 qts of oil a month..
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckrause2 View Post
Thanks. That helps. At, least i can ditch the oil idea. I'll see about a radiator.
did you not say that you're losing a massive amount of oil in another thread? so why ditch the oil idea

2003 3.8L V6 4R70W
Windstar Upper Intake with cool-air intake, MAC LT headers, BBK O/R H-pipe, and flow 40s, SCT tuner, FRPP Alum. D/S, 3.73 gears, Auburn HP limited slip, and Team Z LCAs, Eibach sway bars.
Best 1/4 time: 15.036 @90.92mph, 2.148 60'
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-07-2011 Thread Starter
Rookie

I didn't think they would be related since i was told that it is unlikely.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-07-2011
SHELBY GT 350 Member
V6 Member

you were probably told it was unlikely because you didn't mention the massive oil loss

2003 3.8L V6 4R70W
Windstar Upper Intake with cool-air intake, MAC LT headers, BBK O/R H-pipe, and flow 40s, SCT tuner, FRPP Alum. D/S, 3.73 gears, Auburn HP limited slip, and Team Z LCAs, Eibach sway bars.
Best 1/4 time: 15.036 @90.92mph, 2.148 60'
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-07-2011 Thread Starter
Rookie

True. Well how does that affect everything. Should i just get a new car? i can't find a 3.8 for my car on craigslist
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-07-2011
MACH I Member
V6 Member
5.0L Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckrause2 View Post
True. Well how does that affect everything. Should i just get a new car? i can't find a 3.8 for my car on craigslist
Car-Part.com

I highly recommend LKQ Recyclers..... either local if you have one, or sometimes their ebay engines go for cheap.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-07-2011 Thread Starter
Rookie

alright cool. Well ill see what i can do.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page