Next Upgrade for a 99 V6 - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-08-2011 Thread Starter
Apprentice
V6 Member
S197 Member

Next Upgrade for a 99 V6

All,

I am in the process of upgrading my engine. I am in the middle of installing the following parts. VAP Windstar Intake Kit, GSS P&P lower intake, UD Pulley, Cam shaft that GSS helped with, GT 8.8 rearend since my original was shot, new wires, spark plugs, next weekend SCT tuner/dyno tune. I have dual exhaust already and 17in Cougar rims.

I am just in the planning stages for the next upgrades, but any advice would be appreciated. I know I can do a turbo or supercharger, but really looking for advice on handling. I do not want to lower my Mustang, as I like the stance now.

Thanks for the help.

1999 Black V6 Mustang
GO -- Cam, GSS Lower Intake, VAP Upper Intake, UD Pulley, 8.8 Rear-End 3.27 Gears, Cat Back Exhaust, Power Solutions Inc/SCT Dyno Tune.
Show -- 17in Cragar Wheels, Rear Window Louvers, Halo Head Lights
2011 Sterling Metallic Gray
Pony Package, Saddle Leather Interior, Electronics Package, Glass Roof, and Quarter Window Louvers
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-08-2011
PONY Member
V6 Member

subframe connectors,90/10 front shocks,rear sway bar,control arms

mustang v6 2001 auto
Go: cai,tuner,pacesetter shorty header,duel exhaust,self-made j-mod,vap intake spacer,4:10 gears
Show:inside neon lights,custom sound system,8 inch shorty antenna,hid kit 8000k,17 inch cobra r rims,corbeau seats fx1 pro,tint 35% all around
Support: 21mm rear sway bar,ford tlock,mm full length subframe connector,bbk strut tower brace,gt front sway bar,ford c-racing lowerig springs,j&m lower control arms
Future: windstar intake,body kit,paint
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-08-2011
GT Member
4.6L Member

what gears are you gonna put in it?

Red 1999 Cobra Vert:

316.6 rwhp @ 6093 rpms
318.1 rwtq @ 4489 rpms

On Just Bolt-Ons And Stock Exhaust Manifolds.

See Profile For Mods.......

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-08-2011 Thread Starter
Apprentice
V6 Member
S197 Member

Well right now it has 3.27 gears. I do not think I will change them just yet.

1999 Black V6 Mustang
GO -- Cam, GSS Lower Intake, VAP Upper Intake, UD Pulley, 8.8 Rear-End 3.27 Gears, Cat Back Exhaust, Power Solutions Inc/SCT Dyno Tune.
Pony Package, Saddle Leather Interior, Electronics Package, Glass Roof, and Quarter Window Louvers
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-08-2011
PONY Member
V6 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 99OneHorse View Post
Well right now it has 3.27 gears. I do not think I will change them just yet.
I think that if you were to reconsider, a new set of higher ratio gears would bring everything together so nicely. Whether you do it now or do it later, it will most likely be one of your favorite aspects of the entire car. Its something you get to utilize and enjoy every second in the car. All this you probably know, sorry to ramble. I'm learning and taking in all the info regarding handling myself. Lots to learn. Its tricky learning how to perfectly set it up specifically for street comfort, or strip, or autocross ect...

'97 3.8 Pacific Green
Modified~
1996 SVT COBRA
White
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-08-2011 Thread Starter
Apprentice
V6 Member
S197 Member

I knew for a V6 that it was noticable to have a T-lok, but does it make a lot of difference by changing the gears?? I am new to making mods so I am learning as I go.

1999 Black V6 Mustang
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-08-2011
SHELBY GT 350 Member
V6 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kickerofdoom View Post
90/10 front shocks
whoa.. no thats only if you're doing a full-out drag car, that is not for all around handling..

2003 3.8L V6 4R70W
Windstar Upper Intake with cool-air intake, MAC LT headers, BBK O/R H-pipe, and flow 40s, SCT tuner, FRPP Alum. D/S, 3.73 gears, Auburn HP limited slip, and Team Z LCAs, Eibach sway bars.
Best 1/4 time: 15.036 @90.92mph, 2.148 60'
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-08-2011
MACH I Member
V6 Member
5.0L Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markstang690 View Post
whoa.. no thats only if you're doing a full-out drag car, that is not for all around handling..
Beat me to it.

Either the Bullitt kit or the Tokico Blue kit will give a very slight drop and tighten everything up very nicely while still being comfortable over bumps. I have the Tokico setup on my fox. If you already have springs, you can get the Tokico shocks and struts separate and they are very fairly priced.

And x2 on gears. A bigger cam will move your powerband up and the car will feel slower on the bottom end. Gears will negate that effect and improve acceleration overall.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-08-2011
SHELBY GT 350 Member
V6 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by metalman302 View Post
Beat me to it.

Either the Bullitt kit or the Tokico Blue kit will give a very slight drop and tighten everything up very nicely while still being comfortable over bumps. I have the Tokico setup on my fox. If you already have springs, you can get the Tokico shocks and struts separate and they are very fairly priced.

And x2 on gears. A bigger cam will move your powerband up and the car will feel slower on the bottom end. Gears will negate that effect and improve acceleration overall.
I spec'd him a cam for power from just off idle to 5,800 or so rpm's......

Welcome Howard......

2002 V6 Turbo 10:[email protected]
2001 V6 Nitrous 12:[email protected]
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-08-2011 Thread Starter
Apprentice
V6 Member
S197 Member

Thanks for the welcome.

I hope to have my cam, and other stuff finished by early next week. I also have an appointment at a dyno tuner next weekend. I can't wait to feel the difference. :laughlitt

1999 Black V6 Mustang
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page