Gas/Throttle Pedal Adjustment - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-15-2004 Thread Starter

Gas/Throttle Pedal Adjustment

Owner of a stock V6 2000 Mustang. I've always noticed that my gas pedal was too low, and I thought it was just my car getting a little older. The gas pedal doesn't have much clearance. I don't even have to floor the throttle but it will start rubbing the interior carpet. I just looked at my friend's 2003 V6, and his throttle is the same way. Not much clearance at all... and it's much lower than the other two pedals. What's the best way to adjust the pedal so I get a little more travel and a little more clearance? I've noticed that the throttle cable is attached to the spring/pedal assembly. Can I adjust it from this end or should I adjust the throttle cable from the engine side?

On the topic... I'd like to give my Mustang a sportier feel. It has 75K miles on it now, so I probably don't want to put too much money in performance upgrades, but I'd like to maybe shorten the clutch and shifter throw. What's the best way to do that? I know they sell kits for other cars, just not too familiar with the Mustang aftermarket.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-15-2004
PONY Member
V6 Member

Send a message via AIM to D Un4given
This link will help ya get rid of that slack in the accelerator. http://www.mustangworld.com/ourpics/fcar/99pedals.htm I'd been thinking about doing that myself too. Just been too lazy and busy to do it.

Autobots, roll out!
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-15-2004
PONY Member
V6 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwapMeet
On the topic... I'd like to give my Mustang a sportier feel. It has 75K miles on it now, so I probably don't want to put too much money in performance upgrades, but I'd like to maybe shorten the clutch and shifter throw. What's the best way to do that? I know they sell kits for other cars, just not too familiar with the Mustang aftermarket.
I hear Steeda makes a great aftermarket shifter. Might wanna check em out. Seems like alot of Mustang owners swear by the Tri-Ax shifter.

Autobots, roll out!

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-15-2004
MACH I Member
V6 Member
S197 Member

You can raise the gas pedal by going under the dash , hold the gas pedal up. You will notice the throttle linkage will just be hanging there. fill the gap with anything solid, in my case I used plastic zip ties. After filling that gap, let the pedal go and it should be aligned with the brake pedal. Now you'll be able to gain more response and heel toe shifting which was virtually impossible with the old pedal configuration

Here is a pic of my work
https://www.allfordmustangs.com/forum...segaspedal.JPG

I hope that picture helps ya.

-The Tri-AX shifter is supposidly the fastest short throw shifter ever created. Sounds like that is you best pic.
75,000 miles... still a good car if you treated it niceley can still do roller rockers pullies intake and exhaust
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-15-2004 Thread Starter

Thanks for the input. I was already thinking washers and spacers when I first looked at the way the throttle linkage was set up, but I guess I was looking for a more... elegant solution, perhaps? But hey, it'll work, so I'll probably do the nylon spacer/zip tie route. As for the Tri-ax shifter, I read an article that said it was only GT and up models. Do they make a Tri-ax for the V6?

Lastly, is there anything we can do about the long clutch travel? My girlfriend's miata has a short little clutch, as does my dad's 2004 350Z. I probably a huge lower back muscle on my left side from plunging down on that thing all day.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-15-2004
V6 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwapMeet
Thanks for the input. I was already thinking washers and spacers when I first looked at the way the throttle linkage was set up, but I guess I was looking for a more... elegant solution, perhaps? But hey, it'll work, so I'll probably do the nylon spacer/zip tie route. As for the Tri-ax shifter, I read an article that said it was only GT and up models. Do they make a Tri-ax for the V6?

Lastly, is there anything we can do about the long clutch travel? My girlfriend's miata has a short little clutch, as does my dad's 2004 350Z. I probably a huge lower back muscle on my left side from plunging down on that thing all day.

i did the same thing mustangdewd and monkyboy did just recently, went under the dash and took up most of the slack with two tie straps. it's so easy and works great with my short travel clutch pedal. to adj. the clutch pedal i bought a steeda clutch adj. and cable for my '94....for my '00 i'm gonna get one off ebay for half the price. that will allow you to adj. but you will have to buy an mm clutch adj. kit or do what i did for dirt cheap. if you want more info you can pm me.

for a shorter throw, i cut and welded the shifter handle, but ended up replacing the entire shifter cause it was leaking bad at 140,000 miles. i installed a steeday tri-ax shifter and it works awesome! now the throttle pedal, clutch pedal and shifter have a very nice feel and work great together. the shifter for the v8s with the t-5 trans is the same as the v6...trans.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-15-2004
MACH I Member
V6 Member
S197 Member

Just don't gun the pedal after you lift it hard because i hear bad stories or the throttle linkage ripping or being pulled out D: that would suck ass.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-15-2004
PONY Member
V6 Member

The tri-ax has nothing to do with your engine. You just have to match it up with your transmission.

Autobots, roll out!
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-16-2004 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustangdewd3.8
Just don't gun the pedal after you lift it hard because i hear bad stories or the throttle linkage ripping or being pulled out D: that would suck ass.
Haha, care to elaborate on that? I just stuck 4 zip ties on my throttle cable just now. What should I be worried about?
V6 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustangdewd3.8

yeah you care to elaborate more on that.

also, i was thinking...(smoke)lol....does the throttle plate have a stop to it? cause if it doesn't and you take up all the play in the linkage will you over travel the plate when you floor the pedal?

wait, i just remembered, it does have a stop...nevermind.

but if you floor the pedal with no slack on the cable, you could be putting excessive stress on the cable once the throttle plate stops right guys?
MACH I Member
V6 Member
S197 Member

exactly. The throttle linkage is a small wire that is pretty strong but with enough weight application you can either pull it too hard or wear the wire down after excessive "gunning" and stretching the wire out a bit which would possibly put you back where you started when yuo didnt have a raised pedal hehe.

I heard stories of a kid just totally ripping the throttle linkage out of the ignition which is hard enought to do this kid was an obvious idiot. he drove a civic
Needless to say the scary part is that he had to line a new throttle linkage with correct length through his car, no fun

you can gun it but when it stops don't keep pushing or so try to guage where it is and hold it there. or if you want to be really creative find out how much slack there is before it stops and just readjust the filled gap so it when you gun it you'll still hit the floor to stop yourself but in the vacinity of where the throttle linkage ends.
SHELBY GT 500 Member
V6 Member

http://www.mustangworld.com/ourpics/fcar/99pedals.htm

Nope, it was D_Un4given . .. .

Woe to him who builds his palace by unrighteousness,his upper rooms by injustice,making his countrymen work for nothing...Does it make you a king to have more and more cedar?Did not your father have food and drink?He did what was right and just,so all went well with him. He defended the cause of the poor and needy,and so all went well...But your eyes and your heart are set only on dishonest gain,on shedding innocent blood and on oppression and extortion. Jer 22:13, 15-17
V6 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stangcrazy94
i did the same thing mustangdewd and monkyboy did just recently, went under the dash and took up most of the slack with two tie straps. it's so easy and works great with my short travel clutch pedal. to adj. the clutch pedal i bought a steeda clutch adj. and cable for my '94....for my '00 i'm gonna get one off ebay for half the price. that will allow you to adj. but you will have to buy an mm clutch adj. kit or do what i did for dirt cheap. if you want more info you can pm me.

for a shorter throw, i cut and welded the shifter handle, but ended up replacing the entire shifter cause it was leaking bad at 140,000 miles. i installed a steeday tri-ax shifter and it works awesome! now the throttle pedal, clutch pedal and shifter have a very nice feel and work great together. the shifter for the v8s with the t-5 trans is the same as the v6...trans.
I didn't follow the instructions and used a spacer of lesser quality than recommended by Mustang world (I used copper tubing I had lying around cuz I'm too cheap to buy anything.) The spacer was crushed in 3 days by repeated full throttle runs and then fell off. That was about 3 years ago and I still haven't gone back and replaced it, though I may do that soon.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page