Need help with removing and replacing front bumper - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-22-2005 Thread Starter
Apprentice

Question Need help with removing and replacing front bumper

Hey everyone, I need help finding a guide or explanation on removing the front bumper from a 1997 eclipse. My friend's bumper got ripped up pretty bad when her mom drove her car and i'm trying to help her replace the bumper. If someone could give me some info on replacing the front bumper or guide me in the direction of where i may find some help it would be appreciated.

I know it's an eclipse and i'm posting on a mustang forum but I cant find any information and this is the best place i know of to get help, if it helps... she loves the stang

I would like to know what all i will have to take off and where all the bolts/screws are, i'm pretty sure this would be easy enough to do by myself or with another person.

Also, when purchasing the front bumper cover, is there anything i should look out for, like seperate parts i may need to find? I'm trying to save her a lot of money, an acquantence of her family said he could get the bumper for $600 and he would charge more for the installation (seems like a rip off?)... I looked on Ebay and the bumpers ran from $80 - $200, and i'm sure the dealership would ask around $400 (Ford does for new mustang bumpers).

So please any information would be awesome and thanks ahead of time for the replies =)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-23-2005
GT Member
V6 Member

Alright, Im not sure where on the eclipse the bolts are but I might be able to send you in the right direction. In the fenderwell up front, about 3inches there should be either one or two nuts that are connecting the bumber to the rest of the car. you will have to loosen and remove those on both sides to unsecure the bumper. Once the is done you have to take off the bolts from underneath the car if they are there, if not they might have some sort of clasp on them holding it in place.

When your trying to find a replacement bumper you can either find one with the hardware or without. If you get one with it makes things alot easier but if you get one without then you will have to transfer the harware from the old bumper to the new one and secure it down and bolt it back in place. Where to find a bumper, Im not sure about eclipses, the only thing I have from them is the turbo on the 1st Generation. Other then that you might do a google search for Mitsubishi Eclipse (year) and find a parts store somewhere out there that wont charge you an arm and a leg for shipping (around 100 or so)

Hope this can help you in your endevours.

Lee
2012 V6 Ingot Silver MT
2012 V6 Grabber Blue AT
1991 Ford F150
2005 Honda Civic
----------------------------------------------
12v Guru
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-23-2005

Quote:
Originally Posted by lcurle
you will have to loosen and remove those on both sides to unsecure the bumper. Once the is done you have to take off the bolts from underneath the car if they are there, if not they might have some sort of clasp on them holding it in place.
I dont know about an eclipse really, but with my stang I tried to remove the side bolts first and then the bottom ones and it kinda warped my bumper. So when removing it do the ones in the fender last. I havent ever really touched an eclipse, so I could be wrong about this, but it was a little frustrating when I was trying to take off the bumper and there was too much stress on some of the bottom bolts to get them out. I was also doing it all myself, so maybe if you have help it would go a little easier.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-23-2005 Thread Starter
Apprentice

Do i have to take her headlights out or anything?

I'm trying to find an online guide somewhere but all i run into are body kits for sale and very vague "install guides" on Acura's but no eclipses show up.

Also are the front bumpers on Ebay good quality? I wouldn't want to give her bad information and have her buy a knockoff or something cheaply made.

Sorry if some of my questions are dumb, i dont really have her car to look at or anything yet. We are going to go search some local salvage yards to see if there is a front bumper in good condition there, and we will go by some shops to get prices on painting the bumper and possibly having a shop install the bumper if for some reason i can't do it well enough.

Thanks a lot.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-24-2005
Apprentice
V6 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2K-V6Stang
Also are the front bumpers on Ebay good quality? I wouldn't want to give her bad information and have her buy a knockoff or something cheaply made.
eBay is complete anarchy... usually, you get what you pay for. Try finding out the names of quality manufacturers, and searching for those on eBay and you may be able to get a bargain on a good part, but I wouldn't go to eBay first without knowing who makes good stuff.

Check for misspelled auction titles; I once bought a rare book (worth about $100) for $29 because the author's name was misspelled in the auction, so no one found it but me!

2004 GT. 5-speed. 129K miles and counting.

"My coolant is yellow, a fact I discovered after peeing down the tube at a funny angle."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page