Please NO - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-29-2005 Thread Starter
Apprentice
V6 Member
4.6L Member

Please NO

Hey guys, i got my dual exaust on about a week ago, and my main concern is that when i step out of my car there is a very strange smell by my tailpipes. My check engine light is also on but it has been on and off for like two months now. What could this really strange sound be, and also there seems to be like orange stuff inside my tailpipes (i believe) gonna go check right now and also check the oil. thanks

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-29-2005
Apprentice
V6 Member
5.0L Member

well the orange stuff is more than likley some rust from condensation. If the smell is a burning sugery smell or there is any white exhaust coming out of the car that is a good indication of a blown head gasket. Get the code pulled and see what is turning your check engine light on

1998 V6
1987 GT
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-30-2005
SHELBY GT 500 Member
V6 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nur_Stang
Hey guys, i got my dual exaust on about a week ago, and my main concern is that when i step out of my car there is a very strange smell by my tailpipes. My check engine light is also on but it has been on and off for like two months now. What could this really strange sound be, and also there seems to be like orange stuff inside my tailpipes (i believe) gonna go check right now and also check the oil. thanks
that's normal from new pipes. it's finishing oil/chemicals that are burning off the pipes.

Woe to him who builds his palace by unrighteousness,his upper rooms by injustice,making his countrymen work for nothing...Does it make you a king to have more and more cedar?Did not your father have food and drink?He did what was right and just,so all went well with him. He defended the cause of the poor and needy,and so all went well...But your eyes and your heart are set only on dishonest gain,on shedding innocent blood and on oppression and extortion. Jer 22:13, 15-17

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-30-2005 Thread Starter
Apprentice
V6 Member
4.6L Member

ohh ok, where can i find out what code is my "service engine light" and how much? thanks man
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-31-2005
SHELBY GT 500 Member
V6 Member

Quote:
ohh ok, where can i find out what code is my "service engine light" and how much? thanks man
wait a couple of weeks, then disconnect the battery (the chemicals can get false readings from your sensors). wait a couple of minutes, reconnect, and see if it comes up again.

Woe to him who builds his palace by unrighteousness,his upper rooms by injustice,making his countrymen work for nothing...Does it make you a king to have more and more cedar?Did not your father have food and drink?He did what was right and just,so all went well with him. He defended the cause of the poor and needy,and so all went well...But your eyes and your heart are set only on dishonest gain,on shedding innocent blood and on oppression and extortion. Jer 22:13, 15-17
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-07-2005
Rookie

Send a message via Yahoo to MustangFahrerin
Any authorized Ford service station should be able to pull your codes for you. If you have a regular mechanic or find one, call them and ask them if they can pull your codes. Be careful, of course, they may tell you what the problem is and then offer you the fix. Don't take the first deal that comes along. It may not be a deal at all.

BTW, what's with the Nur_stang? Sprichst du Deustch?

Never be proud of second place. That just means you are the number one LOSER!!!
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-07-2005

And on the engine light if you have a friend that has a flash tuner for a mustang or anything thats how I got mine then just went and asked what it was at the ford place.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-10-2005 Thread Starter
Apprentice
V6 Member
4.6L Member

Allright well its been almost two weeks, you guys think it is still normal to smell that awkward smell still? My father just thinks it is carbon monoxide or something like that but this is only what i was describing to him over the phone he hasnt smelled it yet. Oh and Nur_Stang actually came from my old online fps clan name. It wasn't Nur_Stang but we wont go into detail (Just a tagg so they remember who owned them) lol.

Thanks guys
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-10-2005
SHELBY GT 500 Member
V6 Member

Quote:
Allright well its been almost two weeks, you guys think it is still normal to smell that awkward smell still? My father just thinks it is carbon monoxide or something like that but this is only what i was describing to him over the phone he hasnt smelled it yet. Oh and Nur_Stang actually came from my old online fps clan name. It wasn't Nur_Stang but we wont go into detail (Just a tagg so they remember who owned them) lol.

Thanks guys
you can't smell CO. It's odorless and tasteless.

Did you check underneath for something on the pipes?

What kind of muffler did you install?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kscoyote
you can't smell CO. It's odorless and tasteless.
In its natural form, but I think there are additives in gasoline that give it a scent.
Rookie

Send a message via Yahoo to MustangFahrerin
Not a bad idea to have a look underneath. You may find something that doesn't belong there! My old roommate had a trailer hitch installed at a Ford dealership. Whenever she started the car, you could hear the exhaust pipe banging against the harness for the hitch. When she took her car back, they actually said "we can't fix the noise, but you could put a rag or something like that in between the tailpipe and the hitch harness to make the noise stop." Just because they are pros, doesn't mean they always know what they are doing. ID-JIOTS!

Never be proud of second place. That just means you are the number one LOSER!!!
SHELBY GT 500 Member
V6 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MustangFahrerin
Not a bad idea to have a look underneath. You may find something that doesn't belong there! My old roommate had a trailer hitch installed at a Ford dealership. Whenever she started the car, you could hear the exhaust pipe banging against the harness for the hitch. When she took her car back, they actually said "we can't fix the noise, but you could put a rag or something like that in between the tailpipe and the hitch harness to make the noise stop." Just because they are pros, doesn't mean they always know what they are doing. ID-JIOTS!
On my 68, I kept smelling something, and wen't underneath - it was a garbage bag I had run over, and it had gotten wedged between teh body and the pipes.

Quote:

auto zone does the check engine lite test for FRIZZEEEE. lol their tool is uiversal, so the might not be able to tell you, but for O2 readings i think they can let you know if that is your problem.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page