MAC Cold Air problems - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-11-2005 Thread Starter
2+2
Rookie

MAC Cold Air problems

After adding an induction system to my 2000, I get a whistling sound at certain rpms during acceleration and the gas mileage has dropped about 3mpg (not due to lead foot). Any thoughts?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-12-2005
GT Member
V6 Member

the "whistleing" or "sucking" sound your hearing might be a vaccum line, make sure you have them connected. Na did you reset your ECU after you installed it? Gas mielage can be due to weather and some other factors.

Lee
2012 V6 Ingot Silver MT
2012 V6 Grabber Blue AT
1991 Ford F150
2005 Honda Civic
----------------------------------------------
12v Guru
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-12-2005 Thread Starter
2+2
Rookie

MAF screen?

I don't think it is a loose hose, but thanks for that thought. I did leave the MAF screen out and now am having second thoughts since the whistle is so annoying - will try anything. I also have been making quarter twists on the air sensor in hopes repositioning it will solve the problem if it is air whistling through the shield around it. I thought I disconnected the battery, after installing, but in any event I had to get a new battery last week so I will be checking mileage in the next day or two to see if it still is bad.

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-13-2005
GT Member
V6 Member

It is normal for the MAC CAI to have a sucking sound to it. It is more present when the A/C is running. Nothing to be alarmed about.

Lee
2012 V6 Ingot Silver MT
2012 V6 Grabber Blue AT
1991 Ford F150
2005 Honda Civic
12v Guru
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-13-2005
SHELBY GT 500 Member
V6 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2+2
I don't think it is a loose hose, but thanks for that thought. I did leave the MAF screen out and now am having second thoughts since the whistle is so annoying - will try anything. I also have been making quarter twists on the air sensor in hopes repositioning it will solve the problem if it is air whistling through the shield around it. I thought I disconnected the battery, after installing, but in any event I had to get a new battery last week so I will be checking mileage in the next day or two to see if it still is bad.
The MAF should be completely level. This CAN affect your gas mileage . ..

Woe to him who builds his palace by unrighteousness,his upper rooms by injustice,making his countrymen work for nothing...Does it make you a king to have more and more cedar?Did not your father have food and drink?He did what was right and just,so all went well with him. He defended the cause of the poor and needy,and so all went well...But your eyes and your heart are set only on dishonest gain,on shedding innocent blood and on oppression and extortion. Jer 22:13, 15-17
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-13-2005

I never thought about it, but does the computer have to be reset if you add a new mass air meter, not the computer part but the tube and a CAI? If so is it just a matter of unhooking the battery and for how long, thanks!
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-13-2005
SHELBY GT 500 Member
V6 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by StangLx50
I never thought about it, but does the computer have to be reset if you add a new mass air meter, not the computer part but the tube and a CAI? If so is it just a matter of unhooking the battery and for how long, thanks!
Yeah, you should disconnect the battery for a couple of minutes. When you reconnect the battery, drive it like hell for the 1st 5-6 starts for the computer to learn a performance tune.

Woe to him who builds his palace by unrighteousness,his upper rooms by injustice,making his countrymen work for nothing...Does it make you a king to have more and more cedar?Did not your father have food and drink?He did what was right and just,so all went well with him. He defended the cause of the poor and needy,and so all went well...But your eyes and your heart are set only on dishonest gain,on shedding innocent blood and on oppression and extortion. Jer 22:13, 15-17
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-13-2005 Thread Starter
2+2
Rookie

Okay, I filled up and am getting 18mpg city. How does that stack up--V-6, manual, somewhat hilly terrain, a/c on about half the time? Thanks for the tip - I'll check to see if the Mass Air is level.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-14-2005
GT Member
V6 Member

stock should be about 26 hiway 19 city, add ac and youll drop down a few points, add in hills and your looking around what your getting.

Lee
2012 V6 Ingot Silver MT
2012 V6 Grabber Blue AT
1991 Ford F150
2005 Honda Civic
12v Guru
V6 Member

18 mpg in the city is about average.
MACH I Member
V6 Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kscoyote
The MAF should be completely level. This CAN affect your gas mileage . ..

MAF Must be level?! .... Guess who is looking under the hood tomorrow ^^
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page