Will 4.10 gears hurt my engine? - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-14-2005 Thread Starter

Will 4.10 gears hurt my engine?

Will 4.10 gears run the engine too high for too long on highway trips? Its an automatic with OD 2002. What will the rpm's be at around 75-80 anyway? Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-14-2005
SHELBY GT 500 Member
V6 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by StangLx50
Will 4.10 gears run the engine too high for too long on highway trips? Its an automatic with OD 2002. What will the rpm's be at around 75-80 anyway? Thanks!
3200 RPMS?

It won't hurt the engine much, per se, My '68 3 speed auto ran at that RPM all day long. (Then again, it had forged internals) But your mileage will suffer, fer sure . .. .

It'll probably knock 15-25% off your engine life . .. .so it'll fail at 150,000-170,000 miles . ..

Woe to him who builds his palace by unrighteousness,his upper rooms by injustice,making his countrymen work for nothing...Does it make you a king to have more and more cedar?Did not your father have food and drink?He did what was right and just,so all went well with him. He defended the cause of the poor and needy,and so all went well...But your eyes and your heart are set only on dishonest gain,on shedding innocent blood and on oppression and extortion. Jer 22:13, 15-17
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-14-2005
MACH I Member
V6 Member
S197 Member

It won't hurt but in the long run it will. If yo keep going fast at like 70 mph you'll be up close to 4,000 RPMs and running that high will just wear the engine quicker than normal.

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-14-2005
PONY Member
4.6L Member

Send a message via Yahoo to jasons99gt
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustangdewd3.8
It won't hurt but in the long run it will. If yo keep going fast at like 70 mph you'll be up close to 4,000 RPMs and running that high will just wear the engine quicker than normal.

Not sure how different the RPMs are with the 3.8L. My Engine is at 3k rpms at 80mph with my Automatic 4.6L

Theoretically, your engine will wear out faster, but if you take care of it, who's to say when that will be.

Later,
Jason

99gt vert, CAI, Ford Racing Shortie Headers, MAC 2.5in catback, MAC o/r h-pipe, FRPP alum. driveshaft, March underdrive pullies, sct custom dyno tune, eibach pro-kit, bullitt alum pedals, Cobra Brake Kit, Tokico shocks and struts, PIAA bright whites...FRPP 4.10s!
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-15-2005 Thread Starter

Well i guess i could put it this way, i drive it everyday, don't beat on it, we all step on it now and then otherwise we'd drive hybrids, and i drive on the expressway 1-2 times out of the month. Not to mention the car only has 36,000 miles and when my loan is payed off i'm trading it in for a new one anyway, think i'll switch back to a v8 depending on how much hp the v6 has in 5 years. Drove a 5.0 before this but i really do like the v6 and the saved money from insurance and gas, main thing i miss is the exhaust rumble that obviously you can't replicate. If it didn't go through winters i would supercharge it but i highly doubt superchargers are good for winter, haha
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-15-2005
SHELBY GT 500 Member
V6 Member

Quote:
Well i guess i could put it this way, i drive it everyday, don't beat on it, we all step on it now and then otherwise we'd drive hybrids, and i drive on the expressway 1-2 times out of the month. Not to mention the car only has 36,000 miles and when my loan is payed off i'm trading it in for a new one anyway, think i'll switch back to a v8 depending on how much hp the v6 has in 5 years. Drove a 5.0 before this but i really do like the v6 and the saved money from insurance and gas, main thing i miss is the exhaust rumble that obviously you can't replicate. If it didn't go through winters i would supercharge it but i highly doubt superchargers are good for winter, haha
actually, centrifugal SC units have no effect on winter driving. They really don't do much until 3000 RPMs. If you're diving at 3,000 RPMs in winter weather, you're just thinning the herd, anyway.

Woe to him who builds his palace by unrighteousness,his upper rooms by injustice,making his countrymen work for nothing...Does it make you a king to have more and more cedar?Did not your father have food and drink?He did what was right and just,so all went well with him. He defended the cause of the poor and needy,and so all went well...But your eyes and your heart are set only on dishonest gain,on shedding innocent blood and on oppression and extortion. Jer 22:13, 15-17
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-15-2005 Thread Starter

And god knows we need to be thinned out, :laughlitt Wouldn't salt and winter eat away at a Supercharger or not really anymore than it would the car, I never considered buying one cause i figured i would get "what idoit would supercharge a car they drive in the winter" Just didn't know if SC were sensitive or not. Bald tires last winter and my just buying my car, i don't think i broke 20mph let alone 3000rpms,lol. THanks!
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-15-2005
SHELBY GT 500 Member
V6 Member

Quote:
And god knows we need to be thinned out, :laughlitt Wouldn't salt and winter eat away at a Supercharger or not really anymore than it would the car, I never considered buying one cause i figured i would get "what idoit would supercharge a car they drive in the winter" Just didn't know if SC were sensitive or not. Bald tires last winter and my just buying my car, i don't think i broke 20mph let alone 3000rpms,lol. THanks!
no, salt etc isn't an issue.

Heck, the Thunderbird SC used an eaton -Low level boost.

IT was horrible in winter, but more because of the loooong wheelbase, and no weight over teh rear.

My sister's T-bird was a non-SC car, and it was the worst I've ever driven.

The Mustang has a REALLY short wheelbase, and gets around fine. A Turbo or SC won't affect driveability whatsoever.

If you go ATI, you could always remove the unit in an afternoon.

post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-15-2005 Thread Starter

Whats the average price range for one, i'm basically seeing $3000-4000 so i doubt i could get away with less than that huh. And while i'm talking hurting the engine, do they if you keep it around 7-9psi with basically no other mods, just 73 mass air, CAI, exhaust. Thanks! :eyepoppin
SHELBY GT 500 Member
V6 Member

Quote:
Whats the average price range for one, i'm basically seeing $3000-4000 so i doubt i could get away with less than that huh. And while i'm talking hurting the engine, do they if you keep it around 7-9psi with basically no other mods, just 73 mass air, CAI, exhaust. Thanks! :eyepoppin
nah.

you can pick one up at www.gtrhipo.com for 2888. RPMoutlet.com is generally in the same ballpark.

with an intercooler, you can go as high as 11psi without worrying about engine failure.

post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-15-2005 Thread Starter

Thanks, as usual you are always a huge help!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page