which upgrade? - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-02-2005 Thread Starter
Apprentice
V6 Member
4.6L Member

which upgrade?

Ok guys i got a quick question for you, Im trying to decide betwwen getting new gears + t-loc or getting a UDP package. Im not sure which one i will see better performance out of. I drive my car 20 miles a day and my current specs are... 2001 v6 mustang (auto) 60,000 miles, K&N FiPKII, Dual Exaust, Cosmetics additions. I do like to drive my car preatty fast but im more concerned about the like 0 to 80 range. I travel on a highway very little but yet probally 5 times a month. And also with either of these enhancements where is a good location to go to because i dont really want no "Billy Bob Repair Service" working on my car. Thanks alot

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-02-2005
GT Member
V6 Member

New gears and a T-lok are going to run you almost $800-$1000 to get the parts and fully install them. That would be the most noticable accelleration mod you can make to your auto. The UDP would be a great addition as well, just all depends on what brand you go with, Motoblue from RPM0outlet, ASP or steeda.

Lee
2012 V6 Ingot Silver MT
2012 V6 Grabber Blue AT
1991 Ford F150
2005 Honda Civic
----------------------------------------------
12v Guru
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-03-2005
V6 Member

The gears and T-lok will make the most noticeable difference. Go with some 4.10s since you don't do any highway driving.

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-03-2005
SHELBY GT 500 Member
V6 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nur_Stang
Ok guys i got a quick question for you, Im trying to decide betwwen getting new gears + t-loc or getting a UDP package. Im not sure which one i will see better performance out of. I drive my car 20 miles a day and my current specs are... 2001 v6 mustang (auto) 60,000 miles, K&N FiPKII, Dual Exaust, Cosmetics additions. I do like to drive my car preatty fast but im more concerned about the like 0 to 80 range. I travel on a highway very little but yet probally 5 times a month. And also with either of these enhancements where is a good location to go to because i dont really want no "Billy Bob Repair Service" working on my car. Thanks alot
Those oldtimers are pretty much the only people who can do gears, unless you want to pay 50% more for the dealership to do it.

Woe to him who builds his palace by unrighteousness,his upper rooms by injustice,making his countrymen work for nothing...Does it make you a king to have more and more cedar?Did not your father have food and drink?He did what was right and just,so all went well with him. He defended the cause of the poor and needy,and so all went well...But your eyes and your heart are set only on dishonest gain,on shedding innocent blood and on oppression and extortion. Jer 22:13, 15-17
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-06-2005 Thread Starter
Apprentice
V6 Member
4.6L Member

Ok, so what are the benefits of lets say the reccomended 4.10 gears over the stock. Would 65 mph be hard on the engine? Im not sure what kind of acceleration change we are talking about. Also if i get gears is my transmission more likely to fail? Dont want to have my car in the shop, plan on driving my car fairly soft but when the time occurs i wanna be able to get my car movin (alot faster than it is now).Does my local ford dealer install gears if i bring them to them with a t-loc? Thanks guys
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-06-2005
SHELBY GT 500 Member
V6 Member

Quote:
Ok, so what are the benefits of lets say the reccomended 4.10 gears over the stock. Would 65 mph be hard on the engine? Im not sure what kind of acceleration change we are talking about. Also if i get gears is my transmission more likely to fail? Dont want to have my car in the shop, plan on driving my car fairly soft but when the time occurs i wanna be able to get my car movin (alot faster than it is now).Does my local ford dealer install gears if i bring them to them with a t-loc? Thanks guys
AT 65 you're gonna hear a lot of gear whine. If you drive mainly in the city, your tranny will last longer, because it doesn't have to strain as much to get you moving, but, yeah, you'll get a lot of heat & wear at highway speeds.

Do you have an automatic, or a stick?

3.55 & 3.73s are better for mixed driving.

Woe to him who builds his palace by unrighteousness,his upper rooms by injustice,making his countrymen work for nothing...Does it make you a king to have more and more cedar?Did not your father have food and drink?He did what was right and just,so all went well with him. He defended the cause of the poor and needy,and so all went well...But your eyes and your heart are set only on dishonest gain,on shedding innocent blood and on oppression and extortion. Jer 22:13, 15-17
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-06-2005 Thread Starter
Apprentice
V6 Member
4.6L Member

I have an automatic transmission, Which one would you reccomend and why havent you changed your gears? thanks
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-06-2005
SHELBY GT 500 Member
V6 Member

Quote:
I have an automatic transmission, Which one would you reccomend and why havent you changed your gears? thanks
I plan to supercharge, once this engine conks out. stock gearing is best for SC.

And I like my highway mileage, and passing ability at highway speeds . . .

Lastly, I can already spin the wheels, and chirp the 1-2 shift. I have all the low end power I need.

post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-07-2005 Thread Starter
Apprentice
V6 Member
4.6L Member

So can anyone please describe the differences between 3.55 and 3.83 gears? I just want to have a more aggressive start because all my power is later in my gears it seems like. I hate slow starts but i dont want to kill my top end speed. So 4.10's is out of the question and i also want to be able to keep the car running good without hurting the engine.
V6 Member

Because you have an auto, most people are going to recommend 4.10's. I recommend 4.10's because you have an auto, you have a V6, and you don't do any highway driving. Going from the stock 3.27's to 4.10's is going to make your car feel like it has 50hp more.
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-07-2005 Thread Starter
Apprentice
V6 Member
4.6L Member

yea but topping out at 70mph is not cool for me, and i want my car to last so unless there are any gears that does not produce any more engine strain i think ill just pass on that
SHELBY GT 500 Member
V6 Member

Quote:
yea but topping out at 70mph is not cool for me, and i want my car to last so unless there are any gears that does not produce any more engine strain i think ill just pass on that
if you went to 3.45 or 3.55, it's only around 1/4 turn more. But it all depends on you goals.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in