computer questions - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-04-2005 Thread Starter
V6 Member

computer questions

ok, i've heard that you can disconnect your battery, do some 0-60 runs or whatever, and your car will adapt to the gearing, and i've also heard of some trick you can do w/ your a/c to trick your computer into switching to a program that compensates for the compressor being on..., are these true when talking about the 2001 stangs? or is it only newer models?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-04-2005
GT Member
V6 Member

I think its for all late model mustangs, 99-04 I know it works for, Unsure about the 94-98.

Lee
2012 V6 Ingot Silver MT
2012 V6 Grabber Blue AT
1991 Ford F150
2005 Honda Civic
----------------------------------------------
12v Guru
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-04-2005
SHELBY GT 500 Member
V6 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PancakeOfDoom
ok, i've heard that you can disconnect your battery, do some 0-60 runs or whatever, and your car will adapt to the gearing, and i've also heard of some trick you can do w/ your a/c to trick your computer into switching to a program that compensates for the compressor being on..., are these true when talking about the 2001 stangs? or is it only newer models?
yeah, it's true for pretty much all the OBD1 & II computer systems.

Woe to him who builds his palace by unrighteousness,his upper rooms by injustice,making his countrymen work for nothing...Does it make you a king to have more and more cedar?Did not your father have food and drink?He did what was right and just,so all went well with him. He defended the cause of the poor and needy,and so all went well...But your eyes and your heart are set only on dishonest gain,on shedding innocent blood and on oppression and extortion. Jer 22:13, 15-17

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-04-2005
GT Member
V6 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kscoyote
yeah, it's true for pretty much all the OBD1 & II computer systems.
Sounds like the ford people were into Star Wars a little to much when naming the systems.:kooky:

Lee
2012 V6 Ingot Silver MT
2012 V6 Grabber Blue AT
1991 Ford F150
2005 Honda Civic
----------------------------------------------
12v Guru
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-04-2005
SHELBY GT 500 Member
V6 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lcurle
Sounds like the ford people were into Star Wars a little to much when naming the systems.:kooky:
On Board Diagnostics?

Woe to him who builds his palace by unrighteousness,his upper rooms by injustice,making his countrymen work for nothing...Does it make you a king to have more and more cedar?Did not your father have food and drink?He did what was right and just,so all went well with him. He defended the cause of the poor and needy,and so all went well...But your eyes and your heart are set only on dishonest gain,on shedding innocent blood and on oppression and extortion. Jer 22:13, 15-17
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-04-2005
Apprentice
V6 Member

Send a message via MSN to mac_mogul Send a message via Yahoo to mac_mogul
Hmm, I can vouch for the retraining of the computer, that works well... but whats this A/C trick you speak of?

Black 2003 3.8 Auto
K&N Air Filter
BOSCH +4 Platinum Plugs
True-dual exhaust Flowmaster 80 series
------------------------
Coming soon:
20% Window Tint
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-04-2005
SHELBY GT 500 Member
V6 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mac_mogul
Hmm, I can vouch for the retraining of the computer, that works well... but whats this A/C trick you speak of?
works more on the 94-98 cars -but when you turn on the ac, the computer advances the timing to compensate for the AC compressor. If you turn it on, then turn it off, it gives you a few seconds of power advance timing. Sorta like a power tuner for 87 octane for a few secs.

Try it, and you'll find you can spin the wheels fairly easily on a 94-98 car, which is hard to do otherwise.

It'll do the same on a 99+ car, but it's harder to notice the difference, since it already has 33% more power than the pre-99 cars.

post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-04-2005 Thread Starter
V6 Member

ya, i noticed when i switch the a/c on or off when i'm idle the rpm changes by about 100rpm for a few seconds..., not sure what the hell that would mean if i were moving
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-04-2005
SHELBY GT 500 Member
V6 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PancakeOfDoom
ya, i noticed when i switch the a/c on or off when i'm idle the rpm changes by about 100rpm for a few seconds..., not sure what the hell that would mean if i were moving
yeah, it's switching programs.

V6 Member

With my a/c on, it runs the compressor for a second, then it waits for about 7-8 seconds, and then it kicks the compressor back on again. Its a bit weird, as the engine kicks up 100-150 rpms for a second and goes back down.

could someone tell me how to reset the ecu this way? im not sure. i figured since i have a 160 thermo in it I should probally go ahead and do it
SHELBY GT 500 Member
V6 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jthm2004
could someone tell me how to reset the ecu this way? im not sure. i figured since i have a 160 thermo in it I should probally go ahead and do it
TO reset the ECU, just disconnect the positive terminal on the battery for a couple of minutes.

But a 160 degree thermostat is way outside of parameters, and needs a chip or programmer.

SHELBY GT 500 Member
V6 Member

http://www.kennebell.net/accessories...hermostats.htm

WARNING! There are many suppliers who do not understand the relationship between the thermostat and electric fan in the newer vehicles. These people are living in the '60's with mechanical fans. Merely installing a thermostat will not lower engine temperature on a hot day. Why? The computer has programmed the fan on-off settings far beyond 160. Example: "On" 215 and "Off" 190. The fan won't even activate and try to cool the engine until the coolant temp is 215 so the 160 thermostat setting is useless. Answer? The engine computer must be re-programmed for lower temperature on-off settings. Example: "On" 166 and "Off" 162. Now the fan and thermostat work in harmony to keep the engine cool. How? There's only one way - the Kenne Bell "Switch Chip" (Ford), Kenne Bell "OPTIMIZER" (Chrysler) - or a similar product - that can re-calibrate the fan.

SHELBY GT 500 Member
V6 Member

The other thing to worry about

http://www.arrowheadradiator.com/ove..._and_cures.htm

On newer vehicles with computerized engine controls, the wrong thermostat can prevent the computer system from going into closed loop resulting in major performance and emission problems if the engine fails to reach its normal operating temperature.

Damn damn damn......well thanks for the info. ill just put the stock 197 back in. well at least it was only 8 dollars right

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in