Help, Loud Ticking Noise 1999 3.8L - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-08-2005 Thread Starter

Help, Loud Ticking Noise 1999 3.8L

My Stepson returns from his fathers house with a loud ticking noise at the left rear (driver's side) of his 1999 3.8L. The best way to describe it is; a rhythmic ticking that increases in volume as engine RPM increases. It sounds like blasts of air from a compressor (not deep and throaty like an exhaust leak). The noise is loud enough to be heard as the car drives away (as much as 30 yards or so).
I immediately suspected a bad valve, lifter or pushrod and don't laugh but I used the old wooden handle trick to substitute for a stethoscope and listened for valve noise. I couldn't detect any tapping or change from the back of the valve cover to the front. We pulled the header and checked it for cracks (none), reinstalled it with a new gasket and tightened all exhaust components, all to no avail.
The engine runs fine, has no coolant or oil loss and no smoke or steam in exhaust. Could the head gasket have blown at the rear of the head near the firewall WITHOUT leaking coolant? Is there some type of emission fitting on that side of the engine that I can't see? Any input would be appreciated...

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-08-2005
GT Member
V6 Member

check the plug wires, if one came loose it could be arcing and making a ticking noise. If they are all fine, take off the valve covers and check the roller rockers and see if one is loose. Im sure there are some other people that may know more then I do.

Lee
2012 V6 Ingot Silver MT
2012 V6 Grabber Blue AT
1991 Ford F150
2005 Honda Civic
----------------------------------------------
12v Guru
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-08-2005 Thread Starter

Thanks lcurle,

I never considered plug wires, I'll check them.

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-08-2005
SHELBY GT 500 Member
V6 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrski
My Stepson returns from his fathers house with a loud ticking noise at the left rear (driver's side) of his 1999 3.8L. The best way to describe it is; a rhythmic ticking that increases in volume as engine RPM increases. It sounds like blasts of air from a compressor (not deep and throaty like an exhaust leak). The noise is loud enough to be heard as the car drives away (as much as 30 yards or so).
I immediately suspected a bad valve, lifter or pushrod and don't laugh but I used the old wooden handle trick to substitute for a stethoscope and listened for valve noise. I couldn't detect any tapping or change from the back of the valve cover to the front. We pulled the header and checked it for cracks (none), reinstalled it with a new gasket and tightened all exhaust components, all to no avail.
The engine runs fine, has no coolant or oil loss and no smoke or steam in exhaust. Could the head gasket have blown at the rear of the head near the firewall WITHOUT leaking coolant? Is there some type of emission fitting on that side of the engine that I can't see? Any input would be appreciated...
How many miles? could be the EGR . . .

Woe to him who builds his palace by unrighteousness,his upper rooms by injustice,making his countrymen work for nothing...Does it make you a king to have more and more cedar?Did not your father have food and drink?He did what was right and just,so all went well with him. He defended the cause of the poor and needy,and so all went well...But your eyes and your heart are set only on dishonest gain,on shedding innocent blood and on oppression and extortion. Jer 22:13, 15-17
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-08-2005 Thread Starter

About 83,000 (Flordia car, no winters). I thought about that as well but I don't see any EGR plumbing on the drivers side. Have I missed it?
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-09-2005
GT Member
V6 Member

There should be a pump sitting right infront of you when you pop the hood dead center of the car. There is a line running from the passenger exhaust manifold to the EGR Pump, then there should be a line running from that to the upper intake. Infact check out www.svr-racing.com/egrd.doc I took pictures for our EGR delete.

Lee
2012 V6 Ingot Silver MT
2012 V6 Grabber Blue AT
1991 Ford F150
2005 Honda Civic
12v Guru
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-09-2005 Thread Starter

Thanks again Lcurle,

I've checked the plug wires and there is no arching there. It is definately not a valve or lifter (borrowed an electronic stethoscope). I'll follow the EGR plumbing up from the pax header and see what I find. I initially didn't see any plumbing that runs around to the back of the engine near the area in question. Thanks for the link to the pictures!
I'm be ginnig to wonder if I might have a bad seal on the lower intake manifold? I'm going to pull plugs to check for evidence of a bad head gasket (oil is clean).
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-09-2005
GT Member
V6 Member

Oil may look clean, but there is a sweet smell to it, kind of a eye opening sweet smell, then it would be the head gasket. Im wondering if it might be something in the pulley system.

Lee
2012 V6 Ingot Silver MT
2012 V6 Grabber Blue AT
1991 Ford F150
2005 Honda Civic
12v Guru
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-09-2005 Thread Starter

I can't smell any glycol in the exhaust (although there seems to be more water vapor than normal) or in the oil. Pulleys are well lubricated. The sound is definately coming from the back of the engine on the drivers side near the fuel injection rail or below.
GT Member
V6 Member

Ya got me man I wonder if mustangtk would know or have an idea.

Lee
2012 V6 Ingot Silver MT
2012 V6 Grabber Blue AT
1991 Ford F150
2005 Honda Civic
12v Guru
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-10-2005 Thread Starter

I'm sratchin' my head on this one too. Thanks for all of the input none-the-less.
SHELBY GT 500 Member
V6 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrski
I'm sratchin' my head on this one too. Thanks for all of the input none-the-less.
Now that I think about it, and I just listened last night to see if it was still there, mine has always ticked when cold. It just hasn't been cold for a while . . .

Woe to him who builds his palace by unrighteousness,his upper rooms by injustice,making his countrymen work for nothing...Does it make you a king to have more and more cedar?Did not your father have food and drink?He did what was right and just,so all went well with him. He defended the cause of the poor and needy,and so all went well...But your eyes and your heart are set only on dishonest gain,on shedding innocent blood and on oppression and extortion. Jer 22:13, 15-17
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page