5th gear@3k rpms - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 10-09-2005 Thread Starter

me and my friends found this abandoned strip where we mess around with our cars, and i wanted to see how fast my 94 v6 would go. as i was in 5th gear, i felt the engine sorta die, and i slowed down a bit, and then it came back, couple seconds later died again. i noticed this happened at about 114 mph, and also 3k rpms. is there an rpm limiter, or a speed limiter somewhere? or does it have anything to do with the ecu (i think thats what its called). is there anything i can do to get rid of this and make it go faster? not that im gonna do this in a public road or highway, but just wanna see how fast i can make my car go. its all stock, except the guy i bought it from put a custom dual exhaust.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 10-09-2005
Apprentice
V6 Member

Send a message via MSN to mac_mogul Send a message via Yahoo to mac_mogul
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gironating Rat
me and my friends found this abandoned strip where we mess around with our cars, and i wanted to see how fast my 94 v6 would go. as i was in 5th gear, i felt the engine sorta die, and i slowed down a bit, and then it came back, couple seconds later died again. i noticed this happened at about 114 mph, and also 3k rpms. is there an rpm limiter, or a speed limiter somewhere? or does it have anything to do with the ecu (i think thats what its called). is there anything i can do to get rid of this and make it go faster? not that im gonna do this in a public road or highway, but just wanna see how fast i can make my car go. its all stock, except the guy i bought it from put a custom dual exhaust.
There is a Speed limiter, and you'll need an electronic tuner to take it off.

Black 2003 3.8 Auto
K&N Air Filter
BOSCH +4 Platinum Plugs
True-dual exhaust Flowmaster 80 series
------------------------
Coming soon:
20% Window Tint
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 10-10-2005
SHELBY GT 500 Member
V6 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mac_mogul
There is a Speed limiter, and you'll need an electronic tuner to take it off.
yeah, it's matched to the speed rating of your tires. Going faster may result in a blowout, hence the limiter.

you should upgrade your rubber BEFORE removing it, but you'll find it's around 136 mph.

Woe to him who builds his palace by unrighteousness,his upper rooms by injustice,making his countrymen work for nothing...Does it make you a king to have more and more cedar?Did not your father have food and drink?He did what was right and just,so all went well with him. He defended the cause of the poor and needy,and so all went well...But your eyes and your heart are set only on dishonest gain,on shedding innocent blood and on oppression and extortion. Jer 22:13, 15-17

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 10-10-2005 Thread Starter

touche....touche, wouldnt wanna blowout my tires. now, im thinking of upgrading my dash as well, as the max on the speedometer is marked at 120. 136 seems reasonable, since 115 is @3k rpms, so maybe it can hit bout 136 before the 5k redline. i checked online what stock tires my car came with.....P205/65R15's dont know what stock are rated. what i got on right now are Toyo Proxes H4 size 225//60R15 95H's. now, im in not mistaken, H rating can handle up 130, so i should be fine for now, as long as i dont push it too much past 130 once i get the tuner, then when these tires wear out, imma replace em with V rated or higher, ill figure it out later.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page