Engine Temp? - Ford Mustang Forum
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-12-2005 Thread Starter

Engine Temp?

What engine temp do you guys usually run at. Mine doesnt go muh over 150 degrees. Is that ok or should it be higher, i heard that if your engine temp is to low, it could hurt your engine and gas mileage. Any ideas would be great. Thanks

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-12-2005
GT Member
V6 Member

I believe that is the norm for the 6ers.

Lee
2012 V6 Ingot Silver MT
2012 V6 Grabber Blue AT
1991 Ford F150
2005 Honda Civic
----------------------------------------------
12v Guru
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-12-2005
SHELBY GT 500 Member
V6 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenfieldracin
What engine temp do you guys usually run at. Mine doesnt go muh over 150 degrees. Is that ok or should it be higher, i heard that if your engine temp is to low, it could hurt your engine and gas mileage. Any ideas would be great. Thanks
how far do you usually drive?

Woe to him who builds his palace by unrighteousness,his upper rooms by injustice,making his countrymen work for nothing...Does it make you a king to have more and more cedar?Did not your father have food and drink?He did what was right and just,so all went well with him. He defended the cause of the poor and needy,and so all went well...But your eyes and your heart are set only on dishonest gain,on shedding innocent blood and on oppression and extortion. Jer 22:13, 15-17

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-12-2005 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kscoyote
how far do you usually drive?
Normal city driving and on the weekends i usually let it eat if i can, but i normally take it easy (to save on gas)
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-12-2005
V6 Member

How do you know it is at 150?
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-13-2005
SHELBY GT 500 Member
V6 Member

Quote:
Normal city driving and on the weekends i usually let it eat if i can, but i normally take it easy (to save on gas)
YEah, I was wondering the same thing.

If you do a lot of short temps, your engine may run long enough to warm up. There was a guy who did the same thing in his truck . . . Never changed his oil, 'cept maybe once a year.

He changed it himself once and found out his crankcase was full of water, because he never boiled it out of the engine oil!!!

his truck never got warm enough to get rid of the condensation.

So yeah, it hurts your longevity & your mileage, -if that's the case.

But my car only has a temperature range, not a true gauge. How do you know how hot your car gets?

Woe to him who builds his palace by unrighteousness,his upper rooms by injustice,making his countrymen work for nothing...Does it make you a king to have more and more cedar?Did not your father have food and drink?He did what was right and just,so all went well with him. He defended the cause of the poor and needy,and so all went well...But your eyes and your heart are set only on dishonest gain,on shedding innocent blood and on oppression and extortion. Jer 22:13, 15-17
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-13-2005
V6 Member

to tell your engine temp you need to put your car in diagnostic mode. put the key in the ignition, hold down the odometer reset button, turn the key to the accessory on position, and when the odometer digital readout say's "test", let go of the button. from there if you tap the reset button it'll switch between your speed, tach, oil, fuel, temp, etc.
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-13-2005
SHELBY GT 500 Member
V6 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PancakeOfDoom
to tell your engine temp you need to put your car in diagnostic mode. put the key in the ignition, hold down the odometer reset button, turn the key to the accessory on position, and when the odometer digital readout say's "test", let go of the button. from there if you tap the reset button it'll switch between your speed, tach, oil, fuel, temp, etc.
I always wondered how that worked!

Someone should put this in a sticky!

post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-13-2005 Thread Starter

I have an autometer gauge hooked up on my a-piller and the temp never gets much higher than 150. I drive 2 1/2 hours at 80mph every weekend so i think it would get hotter then 150
SHELBY GT 500 Member
V6 Member

Quote:
I have an autometer gauge hooked up on my a-piller and the temp never gets much higher than 150. I drive 2 1/2 hours at 80mph every weekend so i think it would get hotter then 150
Are you sure the calibration is correct?

Did you buy your car new?

post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-13-2005 Thread Starter

ya, it should be because even the gauge on the dash reads on the lower side of normal. No, i got it used
SHELBY GT 500 Member
V6 Member

Quote:
ya, it should be because even the gauge on the dash reads on the lower side of normal. No, i got it used
ahhhhh-hah!!!

Wildcard!!

Do you know who had the car before?

Try doing the diagnostic thing and see what your computer says it is!

post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-13-2005 Thread Starter

I can't, I dont have a digital read-out for my odometer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kscoyote
ahhhhh-hah!!!

Wildcard!!

Do you know who had the car before?

Try doing the diagnostic thing and see what your computer says it is!
SHELBY GT 500 Member
V6 Member

Quote:
I can't, I dont have a digital read-out for my odometer.
Well, seeing as how it's used, someone may have put a 160* thermostat in the car, or it may just be stuck.

Somehow, you have to be able to cerify the numbers from your gauge before you go forward with some kind of investigation -I don't know how difficult changing the thermostat is. On my 302, it was a piece of cake.

5.0L Member

i have an 87 stang and it was a 4banger swap to 5.0 and she always stays cool the thermostat stays around 160 and thats when i take long and short rides should that be normal??iam not running rich or anything k thanks

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page