loud ticking noise too - Ford Mustang Forum
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-13-2005 Thread Starter
 
illinoisstang's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2005
Posts: 12
 
loud ticking noise too

i have a 1995 mustang with 3.8 v6.auto trans.when everything gets up to temperature i get a ticking noise from under the car.i put the car on jack stands and got under it while it was ticking and it seems to be coming from the trans around the torque converter.not sure though.doesnt sound like the motor.any ideas what it could be?trans?maybe the exhaust or something?car has 114,000 miles on it.runs fine.no oil leaks.doesnt seem to be head gasket.not losing coolant,overheating,or smoking.anyone with an idea would be helpfull.im lost....

illinoisstang is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-13-2005
SHELBY GT 500 Member
V6 Member
 
kscoyote's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2002
Location: Topeka
Posts: 11,432
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by illinoisstang
i have a 1995 mustang with 3.8 v6.auto trans.when everything gets up to temperature i get a ticking noise from under the car.i put the car on jack stands and got under it while it was ticking and it seems to be coming from the trans around the torque converter.not sure though.doesnt sound like the motor.any ideas what it could be?trans?maybe the exhaust or something?car has 114,000 miles on it.runs fine.no oil leaks.doesnt seem to be head gasket.not losing coolant,overheating,or smoking.anyone with an idea would be helpfull.im lost....
yeah, probably a pinhole in the exhaust . ..


Woe to him who builds his palace by unrighteousness,his upper rooms by injustice,making his countrymen work for nothing...Does it make you a king to have more and more cedar?Did not your father have food and drink?He did what was right and just,so all went well with him. He defended the cause of the poor and needy,and so all went well...But your eyes and your heart are set only on dishonest gain,on shedding innocent blood and on oppression and extortion. Jer 22:13, 15-17
kscoyote is offline  
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-14-2005 Thread Starter
 
illinoisstang's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2005
Posts: 12
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by illinoisstang
i have a 1995 mustang with 3.8 v6.auto trans.when everything gets up to temperature i get a ticking noise from under the car.i put the car on jack stands and got under it while it was ticking and it seems to be coming from the trans around the torque converter.not sure though.doesnt sound like the motor.any ideas what it could be?trans?maybe the exhaust or something?car has 114,000 miles on it.runs fine.no oil leaks.doesnt seem to be head gasket.not losing coolant,overheating,or smoking.anyone with an idea would be helpfull.im lost....
today i worked on the car cuz the ticking noise is driving me crazy.now i dont think the noise is coming from under the car.it may be from the rear of the motor up by the intake and echoing down under.there is also a slight hissing sound.car seems to run good but the idle is a little erratic.could this be an intake gasket?or something else.i would like to try to find the problem myself so i dont have to pay someone.any help will be appreciated.
illinoisstang is offline  
 
post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-14-2005
SHELBY GT 500 Member
V6 Member
 
kscoyote's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2002
Location: Topeka
Posts: 11,432
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by illinoisstang
today i worked on the car cuz the ticking noise is driving me crazy.now i dont think the noise is coming from under the car.it may be from the rear of the motor up by the intake and echoing down under.there is also a slight hissing sound.car seems to run good but the idle is a little erratic.could this be an intake gasket?or something else.i would like to try to find the problem myself so i dont have to pay someone.any help will be appreciated.
Does the hissing sound come when the Air or Defrost is on?

Re, idle -It's usually a dirty MAF, just clean the inside of the part right behind the Air Filter with computer contact solution -Don't touch the post or wires, just spray them!!

Woe to him who builds his palace by unrighteousness,his upper rooms by injustice,making his countrymen work for nothing...Does it make you a king to have more and more cedar?Did not your father have food and drink?He did what was right and just,so all went well with him. He defended the cause of the poor and needy,and so all went well...But your eyes and your heart are set only on dishonest gain,on shedding innocent blood and on oppression and extortion. Jer 22:13, 15-17
kscoyote is offline  
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-14-2005 Thread Starter
 
illinoisstang's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2005
Posts: 12
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by kscoyote
Does the hissing sound come when the Air or Defrost is on?
it is almost all of the time.the sound is kinda like air vibrating through something
illinoisstang is offline  
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-14-2005
SHELBY GT 500 Member
V6 Member
 
kscoyote's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2002
Location: Topeka
Posts: 11,432
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by illinoisstang
it is almost all of the time.the sound is kinda like air vibrating through something

hmmm. Could be a vacuum leak.

Exhaust leaks don't usually hiss . ..

You might just run it to a dealership . . . get your oil changed & let 'em find out what's going on . .

Woe to him who builds his palace by unrighteousness,his upper rooms by injustice,making his countrymen work for nothing...Does it make you a king to have more and more cedar?Did not your father have food and drink?He did what was right and just,so all went well with him. He defended the cause of the poor and needy,and so all went well...But your eyes and your heart are set only on dishonest gain,on shedding innocent blood and on oppression and extortion. Jer 22:13, 15-17
kscoyote is offline  
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-15-2005 Thread Starter
 
illinoisstang's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2005
Posts: 12
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by kscoyote
hmmm. Could be a vacuum leak.

Exhaust leaks don't usually hiss . ..

You might just run it to a dealership . . . get your oil changed & let 'em find out what's going on . .
if it is a vacuum leak,would that make the ticking noise loud?it doesnt tick when its cold.only when it heats up.then sometimes when it does tick,its not as loud as other times.the noise almost sounds like the ticking that fuel injectors make only louder.plus the check engine light is on.other than that everything is great except i have a warped brake rotor.this is the first mustang i have owned so having problems doesnt impress me,but no car is perfect.....
illinoisstang is offline  
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-15-2005
SHELBY GT 500 Member
V6 Member
 
kscoyote's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2002
Location: Topeka
Posts: 11,432
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by illinoisstang
if it is a vacuum leak,would that make the ticking noise loud?it doesnt tick when its cold.only when it heats up.then sometimes when it does tick,its not as loud as other times.the noise almost sounds like the ticking that fuel injectors make only louder.plus the check engine light is on.other than that everything is great except i have a warped brake rotor.this is the first mustang i have owned so having problems doesnt impress me,but no car is perfect.....
Vacuum leaks usually don't tick, they hiss . . . if they make any sound at all.

Wait, what year is your car?

nevermind. 1995! It's probably the exhaust manifold gasket. I think there was a voluntary recall on those. They go out fairy regularly on those cars. It's a piece of cake to fix on your own, but they'll just put a better gasket on.

or it could be where the manifold meets the pipes.

Pick one up from Mr. Gasket, and it should be fixed for the life of the car.

Woe to him who builds his palace by unrighteousness,his upper rooms by injustice,making his countrymen work for nothing...Does it make you a king to have more and more cedar?Did not your father have food and drink?He did what was right and just,so all went well with him. He defended the cause of the poor and needy,and so all went well...But your eyes and your heart are set only on dishonest gain,on shedding innocent blood and on oppression and extortion. Jer 22:13, 15-17
kscoyote is offline  
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-20-2005 Thread Starter
 
illinoisstang's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2005
Posts: 12
 
ok,i took the car into the shop to get looked at since i couldnt find the problem on my own.he said the noise is coming from inside the trans.dont know how long it will last.it has 115,000 on it.seems to work ok right now.just has a slight hesitation when put into gear and when it shifts into overdrive.now the question is how much does a new trans cost?is it worth a new one,or get this one rebuilt?
illinoisstang is offline  
 
P35A's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2005
Posts: 11
 
I know this is a longshot, but its been known to happen especially on 6cyl Fords. Give you headers a good lookover. They could have hairline cracks that cause an exhaust leak that makes a ticking or tapping noise. Sometimes even shop mechanics have trouble finding this. This problem is common to mid-90s V6 Fords with cast iron manifolds. BTW if it is your tranny have it rebuilt with a reputable shop i.e. AAMCO or even a rebuilt motorcraft unit from your local Ford Dealer (I know: $$$$, but they are great!) or maybe you want a high performance AODE from Lentech, etc ($$$$ too) whatever works for you. I highly suggest an external tranny cooler (Ford Racing Cooler kit M-7077-D46 fits and works great). :thumbsup

P.S. Have you changed your ATF fluid? Sometimes a lot of problems are cured with a simple fluid and filter change. Be sure to use the correct Mercon.
P35A is offline  
SHELBY GT 500 Member
V6 Member
 
kscoyote's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2002
Location: Topeka
Posts: 11,432
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by illinoisstang
ok,i took the car into the shop to get looked at since i couldnt find the problem on my own.he said the noise is coming from inside the trans.dont know how long it will last.it has 115,000 on it.seems to work ok right now.just has a slight hesitation when put into gear and when it shifts into overdrive.now the question is how much does a new trans cost?is it worth a new one,or get this one rebuilt?
hesitation doesn't necessarily mean you need a new tranny. The AODE is generally worth at LEAST 150,000 miles with the 4.6L. I've never heard of one failing with a 3.8L! You can find low mileage trannys at salvage yards for around 400 dollars, but I REALLY doubt anything's wrong with your tranny.

With your miles, I'd try a tune up 1st, including cleaning the MAF with computer contact cleaner.

Take the car to a Ford Dealer. It needs a tune up at 100,000 miles anyway.

Woe to him who builds his palace by unrighteousness,his upper rooms by injustice,making his countrymen work for nothing...Does it make you a king to have more and more cedar?Did not your father have food and drink?He did what was right and just,so all went well with him. He defended the cause of the poor and needy,and so all went well...But your eyes and your heart are set only on dishonest gain,on shedding innocent blood and on oppression and extortion. Jer 22:13, 15-17
kscoyote is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Closed Thread

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Help, Loud Ticking Noise 1999 3.8L mrski V6 Tech 11 10-11-2005 10:42 AM
Loud Rapid Tapping noise on WOT or neutral rev around 5,000 rpms !!!!!!!! HELP Jazsun V6 Tech 14 01-28-2005 12:31 PM
Loud ticking noise, sounds like I have no oil in the car! VA92notch Mid Atlantic 29 08-12-2002 03:37 AM
Loud ticking noise from engine HELP VA92notch 5.0L Tech 11 08-03-2002 08:16 AM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome
 


Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.1