is a muffler a good buy? - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-18-2005 Thread Starter

is a muffler a good buy?

hi, im a 17 year old kid that only has a part time job. yet i still want the mustang sound in my 2000 stock stang....i dont want to spend like 500 on a catback system and duals, so would just buying a muffler do the job? if so, which brands would you recommed that would give me a deep sound, but not too loud inside the car?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-19-2005
GT Member
V6 Member

You can get a cheap cat back exhaust system with duals from a junk yard for $100. A muffler will change the sound of your car, especially a flowmaster. A single 40 series will give you a nice sound, just dont put a HUGE tip on like I see most people.

Lee
2012 V6 Ingot Silver MT
2012 V6 Grabber Blue AT
1991 Ford F150
2005 Honda Civic
----------------------------------------------
12v Guru
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-19-2005
SHELBY GT 500 Member
V6 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by da9k1ne
hi, im a 17 year old kid that only has a part time job. yet i still want the mustang sound in my 2000 stock stang....i dont want to spend like 500 on a catback system and duals, so would just buying a muffler do the job? if so, which brands would you recommed that would give me a deep sound, but not too loud inside the car?
flowmasters are good, there are a lot of options, and you'll pick up 5-6 hp with good ones.

Just don't get glass packs.

Woe to him who builds his palace by unrighteousness,his upper rooms by injustice,making his countrymen work for nothing...Does it make you a king to have more and more cedar?Did not your father have food and drink?He did what was right and just,so all went well with him. He defended the cause of the poor and needy,and so all went well...But your eyes and your heart are set only on dishonest gain,on shedding innocent blood and on oppression and extortion. Jer 22:13, 15-17

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-19-2005

I would suggest finding a local muffler shop that specializes in Mustangs. You could probably get a Magnaflow or Flowmaster muffler installed for less than $200. I got Flowmaster duals with custom H-pipe on my V6 for $300 including labor, and what a difference it made in the sound and performance!
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-19-2005
SHELBY GT 500 Member
V6 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HadAStang
I would suggest finding a local muffler shop that specializes in Mustangs. You could probably get a Magnaflow or Flowmaster muffler installed for less than $200. I got Flowmaster duals with custom H-pipe on my V6 for $300 including labor, and what a difference it made in the sound and performance!
$200 for a muffler?!

more like $50-75 installed.

All you need is the muffler, no pipes, no custom bending, etc.

Woe to him who builds his palace by unrighteousness,his upper rooms by injustice,making his countrymen work for nothing...Does it make you a king to have more and more cedar?Did not your father have food and drink?He did what was right and just,so all went well with him. He defended the cause of the poor and needy,and so all went well...But your eyes and your heart are set only on dishonest gain,on shedding innocent blood and on oppression and extortion. Jer 22:13, 15-17
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-19-2005

Actually a single Flowmaster 30 series (what I got) is $167 from the manufacturer. Add in labor and it's close to $200.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-19-2005
SHELBY GT 500 Member
V6 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HadAStang
Actually a single Flowmaster 30 series (what I got) is $167 from the manufacturer. Add in labor and it's close to $200.
No way!!! Geez! They've gone up quite a bit in the past 16 years!!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in