Upgrades and Octane boost - Ford Mustang Forum
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-24-2005 Thread Starter

Cool Upgrades and Octane boost

Hey, I'd like info on whether or not anyone has had bad results using octane boost in their mustang. I was using Outlaw octane boost and it fried a brand new set of platinum plugs. I sent all of the info and receipts to sopus/pennzoil and they act like they've never heard of this problem. There was obvious redish/pink residue on the plugs even.
Also, I'd like opinions on what are some performance upgrades that would benifit my car and how much of an improvement I can get from her (since she is a V6). I had a 65 stang and this newer stuff is an all new playing field for me. I'll take any feedback I can get. Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-24-2005
SHELBY GT 500 Member
V6 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 98Sallie
Hey, I'd like info on whether or not anyone has had bad results using octane boost in their mustang. I was using Outlaw octane boost and it fried a brand new set of platinum plugs. I sent all of the info and receipts to sopus/pennzoil and they act like they've never heard of this problem. There was obvious redish/pink residue on the plugs even.
Also, I'd like opinions on what are some performance upgrades that would benifit my car and how much of an improvement I can get from her (since she is a V6). I had a 65 stang and this newer stuff is an all new playing field for me. I'll take any feedback I can get. Thanks!
As long as you add it to a full tank, it shouldn't do anything. How many miles are on your car?

Your heat range may be off, what mods have you done?

Woe to him who builds his palace by unrighteousness,his upper rooms by injustice,making his countrymen work for nothing...Does it make you a king to have more and more cedar?Did not your father have food and drink?He did what was right and just,so all went well with him. He defended the cause of the poor and needy,and so all went well...But your eyes and your heart are set only on dishonest gain,on shedding innocent blood and on oppression and extortion. Jer 22:13, 15-17
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-24-2005
MACH I Member
5.0L Member

Yea, why do you need the boost?

A redddish residue is normal with some gas additives. :eyepoppin

'95 Ranger 5.0 GT40X Tri-y GT40 Intake S-Trim Snow Stage 2 Lowered Baer Racing Brakes Viper Spec Tremec w/Hurst shifter Custom Interior Dakota Digital Dash Corbeau Toplines OZ Racing AM/FM/Mp3/CD/DVD/TV.

2014 GTIG 5.0 Vert Base. Sil Carb Fiber dash. Bama Race Tune. Gibson axle backs. STEEDA Springs KONI STR.T Adj. Panhard. Dynamatted. Audiocontrol LC8i Amps and Sub! Leather OEM seats. Custom Badging.

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-24-2005 Thread Starter

I always added the boost to a full tank (when I filled up), I really haven't done any mods yet. I've mostly been researching the varying opinions on whether or not it is really worth it and, how much benefit I can get from them since, it's a V6. I've got a K & N air filter. I tried the octane boost. I've priced a chip etc... but, I'd just like some opinions from people that actually drive stangs versus, some salesguy or joe blow that may not know anything. Oh, she's only got around 98,000 miles on her. (not to shabby, I think)
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-24-2005 Thread Starter

I figured the residue wasn't the biggest deal. But, when the car started misfiring and then the engine light came on....well, I figured that wasn't the greatest. Also, every other month I used a cleaner.
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-24-2005
MACH I Member
5.0L Member

Unless you advance the timing there is no need EVER to use a fuel additive. They are a waste of money. :handball:

Octane is to reduce pinging, nothing more. By itself it CANNOT add any performane to a motor and in fact may be detrimental.

I'd also only use the stock plugs. If platinum is not called for.....

'95 Ranger 5.0 GT40X Tri-y GT40 Intake S-Trim Snow Stage 2 Lowered Baer Racing Brakes Viper Spec Tremec w/Hurst shifter Custom Interior Dakota Digital Dash Corbeau Toplines OZ Racing AM/FM/Mp3/CD/DVD/TV.

2014 GTIG 5.0 Vert Base. Sil Carb Fiber dash. Bama Race Tune. Gibson axle backs. STEEDA Springs KONI STR.T Adj. Panhard. Dynamatted. Audiocontrol LC8i Amps and Sub! Leather OEM seats. Custom Badging.
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-24-2005
GT Member
5.0L Member

Send a message via AIM to STONECOLD
You dont need those platinum plugs either, your just paying more money without the benefits.

1995 Mustang GT 5.0
BBK CAI, Pro-M 75mm MAF, Pro-M Optimizer, BBK 70mm TB, GT-40 Intake, 24# Injectors, AFR 165's, 1.7 Roller rockers, Crane 2040 cam (E-303) BBK Equal Length headers, BBK O/R X-pipe, Flowmaster American Thunder 2 Chambers. FMS 3.73 Gears, Lentech AODE 2800 stall, BBK 255lph Fuel Pump, BBK Fuel Pressure Regulator. MSD 6AL, Steeda UDP's, FMS Aluminum drive shaft, Autologic chip Larocca tune.
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-25-2005
SHELBY GT 500 Member
V6 Member

Quote:
I always added the boost to a full tank (when I filled up), I really haven't done any mods yet. I've mostly been researching the varying opinions on whether or not it is really worth it and, how much benefit I can get from them since, it's a V6. I've got a K & N air filter. I tried the octane boost. I've priced a chip etc... but, I'd just like some opinions from people that actually drive stangs versus, some salesguy or joe blow that may not know anything. Oh, she's only got around 98,000 miles on her. (not to shabby, I think)
It's more likely you've got the wrong plugs.

You might try shooting your MAF with computer contact cleaner . ..

Woe to him who builds his palace by unrighteousness,his upper rooms by injustice,making his countrymen work for nothing...Does it make you a king to have more and more cedar?Did not your father have food and drink?He did what was right and just,so all went well with him. He defended the cause of the poor and needy,and so all went well...But your eyes and your heart are set only on dishonest gain,on shedding innocent blood and on oppression and extortion. Jer 22:13, 15-17
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-25-2005 Thread Starter

I've changed the plugs and it seems like alls well there. What do you guys think would be the best, first course of action on the mods? Increasing the air intake etc....or something else??? And, what's your opinions on each of the different mods? Like, what will add to the quickness, responsiveness versus the speed/horsepower? Also, I've been using some daytona tires which are great for wear but, they're pretty hard and the cornering isn't the greatest. What would be a happy medium as far as pretty good cornering but, something that I won't wear out in 6 months?
SHELBY GT 500 Member
V6 Member

Quote:
I've changed the plugs and it seems like alls well there. What do you guys think would be the best, first course of action on the mods? Increasing the air intake etc....or something else??? And, what's your opinions on each of the different mods? Like, what will add to the quickness, responsiveness versus the speed/horsepower? Also, I've been using some daytona tires which are great for wear but, they're pretty hard and the cornering isn't the greatest. What would be a happy medium as far as pretty good cornering but, something that I won't wear out in 6 months?
I've liked the Dunlop SP series.

I always go for increasing hp efficiency 1st, while working on a foundation for power.

What year is your car, and what have you done to it so far?

If you put it on your signature line, it makes it easier for all of us.

Apprentice
V6 Member

Send a message via MSN to mac_mogul Send a message via Yahoo to mac_mogul
Quote:
Originally Posted by STONECOLD
You dont need those platinum plugs either, your just paying more money without the benefits.
I strongly disagree.
I put platinum plugs in my 03 V6 and I got a HUGE increase in performance with no additives.

But also, I think that ALWAYS adding octane boost to every full tank... that seems a bit like overkill... Perhaps once in a while, when you knew you were going to need a bit of a boost... like the day before you hit the track or something, but if you're not planning on racing, I don't think you'd really need it.
And, I'm pretty happy with my Goodyear Eagles. They're not expensive, I'm getting good wear, and I don't feel like I'm sacrificing anything performance wise either.
:laughlitt

Black 2003 3.8 Auto
K&N Air Filter
BOSCH +4 Platinum Plugs
True-dual exhaust Flowmaster 80 series
------------------------
Coming soon:
20% Window Tint
SHELBY GT 500 Member
V6 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mac_mogul
I strongly disagree.
I put platinum plugs in my 03 V6 and I got a HUGE increase in performance with no additives.

But also, I think that ALWAYS adding octane boost to every full tank... that seems a bit like overkill... Perhaps once in a while, when you knew you were going to need a bit of a boost... like the day before you hit the track or something, but if you're not planning on racing, I don't think you'd really need it.
And, I'm pretty happy with my Goodyear Eagles. They're not expensive, I'm getting good wear, and I don't feel like I'm sacrificing anything performance wise either.
:laughlitt
actually, as long as you have stock timing, it makes no difference. The computer runs based on 87 octane fuel. THe only way you'll pick up any performance is if your gas station is ripping you off by running Colorado 86 octane fuel, or worse.

If your spark plugs have a lot of deposits from bad gas (and there are a LOT of stations selling bad gas), you'll see a noticeable pick-up. If you run QT or Shell fuel, or some other petroleum engineer certified fuel, you won't notice much of a difference from a plug swap.

Apprentice
V6 Member

I always use Shell V-Power 91 Octane fuel. Unless a shell is not available, but even then I always use premium.

But after I installed my plugs, I noticed a major pick-up in acceleration and fuel efficiency. I don't know if this is typical or not, but those are the results that I got from installing platinum plugs.
So personally, I don't feel like they are a waste of money.

Black 2003 3.8 Auto
K&N Air Filter
BOSCH +4 Platinum Plugs
------------------------
Coming soon:
20% Window Tint
GT Member
5.0L Member

Send a message via AIM to STONECOLD
Quote:
Originally Posted by mac_mogul
I always use Shell V-Power 91 Octane fuel. Unless a shell is not available, but even then I always use premium.

But after I installed my plugs, I noticed a major pick-up in acceleration and fuel efficiency. I don't know if this is typical or not, but those are the results that I got from installing platinum plugs.
So personally, I don't feel like they are a waste of money.
No offense meant but are you sure that what your feeling isnt just in your head? You really have nothing on your car that would even midly give you the kind of acceleration boost your describing by just adding plugs.

1995 Mustang GT 5.0
BBK CAI, Pro-M 75mm MAF, Pro-M Optimizer, BBK 70mm TB, GT-40 Intake, 24# Injectors, AFR 165's, 1.7 Roller rockers, Crane 2040 cam (E-303) BBK Equal Length headers, BBK O/R X-pipe, Flowmaster American Thunder 2 Chambers. FMS 3.73 Gears, Lentech AODE 2800 stall, BBK 255lph Fuel Pump, BBK Fuel Pressure Regulator. MSD 6AL, Steeda UDP's, FMS Aluminum drive shaft, Autologic chip Larocca tune.
Apprentice
V6 Member

I promise its for real!
The day I bought my car at 17k miles, I couldn't even squeak the tires from a stop (not powerbraking) but after I installed an air filter and the plugs, I can spin the tires no problem now. (not powerbraking)

Also, with a stopwatch, I can average a 7-ish second 0-60 time (powerbraking) whereas the stock numbers for the Auto V6 is around 8 seconds (if i'm not mistaken)

Also, depending on the road surface, after I installed my upgrades, sometimes I can manage to squeak the drive tire on the 1-2 shift.

I don't know, lol... there could be a chance that a previoius owner did something to it that I don't know about... but the history report said that she was used as a company car in Los Angeles so I doubt it... I'll see if I can get a video of my speedo posted...idk what else I could do to prove it...

Black 2003 3.8 Auto
K&N Air Filter
BOSCH +4 Platinum Plugs
------------------------
Coming soon:
20% Window Tint
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page