Replacing front brakes, need help! - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-30-2005 Thread Starter

Replacing front brakes, need help!

Helpful Info:
2000 Ford Mustang

Well, went and got all the basic parts as recommended by the helpful people on this forum. Picked up a set of Hawk brake pads, and a set of standard Brembo rotors. I had a Hayes shop manual, and also the brake guide from this site.

Took the tires off, and I'm staring at my brake assembly. I've been trying to get the caliper off for the past hour with no luck. The Hayes manual is no help, it just says to remove the back pin (bolt), and slide the caliper assembly up. I'm trying my damndest to remove that back pin, but it just keeps just keeps moving, it doesn't seem like it's going anywhere. I went ahead and tried to remove the forward facing pin as well, on the other side of the caliper, I got it loose, but now I can't seem to loose/tighten it. It just spins in place with a ratchet. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Everybody says to compress the piston with a c-clamp, but I'm not sure how that works. The piston doesn't seem like it's exposed to any part of the brake assembly. Any suggestions?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-30-2005
PONY Member
V6 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwapMeet
Helpful Info:
2000 Ford Mustang

Well, went and got all the basic parts as recommended by the helpful people on this forum. Picked up a set of Hawk brake pads, and a set of standard Brembo rotors. I had a Hayes shop manual, and also the brake guide from this site.

Took the tires off, and I'm staring at my brake assembly. I've been trying to get the caliper off for the past hour with no luck. The Hayes manual is no help, it just says to remove the back pin (bolt), and slide the caliper assembly up. I'm trying my damndest to remove that back pin, but it just keeps just keeps moving, it doesn't seem like it's going anywhere. I went ahead and tried to remove the forward facing pin as well, on the other side of the caliper, I got it loose, but now I can't seem to loose/tighten it. It just spins in place with a ratchet. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Everybody says to compress the piston with a c-clamp, but I'm not sure how that works. The piston doesn't seem like it's exposed to any part of the brake assembly. Any suggestions?
Ok i have not done this... but i can help with the removal of the caliper... the nut on the back will spin as you turn it... this is why you have to take a open ended wrench and hold it on what looks like a black cylinder just before the caliper nut... this will allow you to turn the nut, thus removing the caliper

02 stang, True Dual exhaust, CAI, 4.10 gears, 180 Thermostat, Diablosport tuned, dropped 2", Cross Drilled rotors, Zri Fuzion Tires, GT RSB + more
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-31-2005 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kmagn13
Ok i have not done this... but i can help with the removal of the caliper... the nut on the back will spin as you turn it... this is why you have to take a open ended wrench and hold it on what looks like a black cylinder just before the caliper nut... this will allow you to turn the nut, thus removing the caliper
Is it made of a rubber material? I didn't want to damage it. It looks like a gasket.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-31-2005
PONY Member
V6 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwapMeet
Is it made of a rubber material? I didn't want to damage it. It looks like a gasket.
Dont worry about damaging it... just make sure the open ended wrench fits snug over it... it will allow you to turn the nut

02 stang, True Dual exhaust, CAI, 4.10 gears, 180 Thermostat, Diablosport tuned, dropped 2", Cross Drilled rotors, Zri Fuzion Tires, GT RSB + more
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-04-2005

You won't see the piston until you get the caliper off. I think there are two 15 mm bolts that hold the caliper to the spindle. Make sure your parking brake isn't set. After removing the two bolts (not the one in the rubber boot), the caliper should come right off. I used a small ball peen hammer to knock mine off
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page