Shifting Gears - help! - Page 2 - Ford Mustang Forum
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
V6 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kscoyote
I reckon I have nothing to say (for once!).

When you say Budweiser!

you've said it all!

I figured that would rock you a bit.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

V6 Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadKitty2006
Yeah - I used to skip gears all the time in my civic.. I guess with a new car- I'm a little leery.... i was thinking of getting an extended warranty too... like an extra 7 years. I don't know though - my dad doesn't think it to be such a good idea - any suggestions in that area?

thanks!!
Kitty, I would definately get the extended warranty. You're coming from a very reliable Civic to the Mustang, one of the worse cars you can get for dependability, and a Ford, and Domestic Ford at that. Every single domestic car I've ever purchased, I got the extened and every single time it paid for it's self with the first major problem. I maintain my cars by the manual and even so, and in every case something major will happen costing in the thousands, had I not had the extended warranty. It may be a bit costly, but many dealers can be pressured to sell it to you for 25% - 40% off MSRP, so lean on them hard if you decide to get it. I have it with my V6 premium, and by the way, according to Consumer Reports, the 2005 Mustangs have a predictive reliability rating of very bad, so buyer beware. Usually it just takes one major problem for the warranty to pay for it's self. My 2003 Expedition at 38,000 needed the transmission replaced, two warped rooters replaced, the rear differential replaced, two window motors replaced, the seal between the engine and transmission replaced, and the side molding replaced for fading....this could've cost me many thousands!!

It's not a racket I assure you....Still I wish the deductable was lower...$50.

As for shifting, I shift at 2,000 RPM....1,500 is generally too low and you could stress out the engine and over time cause damage if you continually lug it. The low-end torque of the v6 provides safe shifting at 2,000, and to shift at higher revs only wastes gas, and to skip gears also will waste gas. I only saft well above 2,000 if I want to really hit it hard, but that is the exception and not the rule.

SHELBY GT 500 Member
V6 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovcom
Kitty, I would definately get the extended warranty. You're coming from a very reliable Civic to the Mustang, one of the worse cars you can get for dependability, and a Ford, and Domestic Ford at that. Every single domestic car I've ever purchased, I got the extened and every single time it paid for it's self with the first major problem. I maintain my cars by the manual and even so, and in every case something major will happen costing in the thousands, had I not had the extended warranty. It may be a bit costly, but many dealers can be pressured to sell it to you for 25% - 40% off MSRP, so lean on them hard if you decide to get it. I have it with my V6 premium, and by the way, according to Consumer Reports, the 2005 Mustangs have a predictive reliability rating of very bad, so buyer beware. Usually it just takes one major problem for the warranty to pay for it's self. My 2003 Expedition at 38,000 needed the transmission replaced, two warped rooters replaced, the rear differential replaced, two window motors replaced, the seal between the engine and transmission replaced, and the side molding replaced for fading....this could've cost me many thousands!!

It's not a racket I assure you....Still I wish the deductable was lower...$50.

As for shifting, I shift at 2,000 RPM....1,500 is generally too low and you could stress out the engine and over time cause damage if you continually lug it. The low-end torque of the v6 provides safe shifting at 2,000, and to shift at higher revs only wastes gas, and to skip gears also will waste gas. I only saft well above 2,000 if I want to really hit it hard, but that is the exception and not the rule.

Ah! the troll is moving to other sectors!

As loing as the car doesn't buck, whatever RPM you shift is fine. If you want, go ask click and clack.

Lovcom seems doesn't know the first thing about cars, maintenance, and seems to think heat causes engine damage, when everyone know's it's friction.

Most of the items causing problems for the mustang are minor, and are taken care of at no cost to the consumer.

Woe to him who builds his palace by unrighteousness,his upper rooms by injustice,making his countrymen work for nothing...Does it make you a king to have more and more cedar?Did not your father have food and drink?He did what was right and just,so all went well with him. He defended the cause of the poor and needy,and so all went well...But your eyes and your heart are set only on dishonest gain,on shedding innocent blood and on oppression and extortion. Jer 22:13, 15-17

SHELBY GT 500 Member
V6 Member

If it's not a racket, how are they making money, Lov?

extended warranties are an EXTREMELY profitable business, it's why the dealers want to make sure they get their cut.

Woe to him who builds his palace by unrighteousness,his upper rooms by injustice,making his countrymen work for nothing...Does it make you a king to have more and more cedar?Did not your father have food and drink?He did what was right and just,so all went well with him. He defended the cause of the poor and needy,and so all went well...But your eyes and your heart are set only on dishonest gain,on shedding innocent blood and on oppression and extortion. Jer 22:13, 15-17
PONY Member
4.6L Member

Send a message via AIM to Venom810
I know little to nothing about cars but i know enough how to take care of mine to not need the extened warranty ! There only really offered for profit ! tune ups ' oil changes ' smart driving ' and common sense will keep your car running great to perfect all the time . i have had a eclipse , a pontiac ,a cheavy and a buick and by far my ford mustang has been more reliable then all of them. and the only car that wasnt in top shape was my 89 cheavy s10 wich was my first car so what ever ford you had must of been bent by your driving skills or was not taken care of by the dealership so you would need to have that warranty . some times there good but most of the time there just ill attempts to make money.

2004 4.6 mustang GT - completely stock ATM.

Up for sale !!!!! will deal and talk trades .. PM ME
Apprentice

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venom810
I know little to nothing about cars but i know enough how to take care of mine to not need the extened warranty ! There only really offered for profit ! tune ups ' oil changes ' smart driving ' and common sense will keep your car running great to perfect all the time . i have had a eclipse , a pontiac ,a cheavy and a buick and by far my ford mustang has been more reliable then all of them. and the only car that wasnt in top shape was my 89 cheavy s10 wich was my first car so what ever ford you had must of been bent by your driving skills or was not taken care of by the dealership so you would need to have that warranty . some times there good but most of the time there just ill attempts to make money.
Exactly - if you take care of the car, it will take care of you.

2002 Sonic Blue v6 5-speed
Mods: K&N FIPK2 CAI, Motoblue 42% UDP, Steeda Tri-Ax, next up - time for a new clutch I think and a lightweight flywheel if I can find a relatively inexpensive one...
V6 Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kscoyote
Ah! the troll is moving to other sectors!

As loing as the car doesn't buck, whatever RPM you shift is fine. If you want, go ask click and clack.

Lovcom seems doesn't know the first thing about cars, maintenance, and seems to think heat causes engine damage, when everyone know's it's friction.

Most of the items causing problems for the mustang are minor, and are taken care of at no cost to the consumer.
KSCoyote, I don't appreciate your insults, your name calling. I NEVER suggested that friction was not the cause of engine wear...you put words in my mouth! A high revving Honda 2L will ALWAYS last longer then any and all domestic big V8's....and the Honda rev's higher...so you see, higher RPM's don't necessarily mean more friction.

You show you're stupidity when you knock down others to prove your point. You're an A$$...to suggest to Kitty that she should shift her V6 at 1,500 RPMS is stupidity times 1,000!
SHELBY GT 500 Member
V6 Member

Quote:
KSCoyote, I don't appreciate your insults, your name calling. I NEVER suggested that friction was not the cause of engine wear...you put words in my mouth! A high revving Honda 2L will ALWAYS last longer then any and all domestic big V8's....and the Honda rev's higher...so you see, higher RPM's don't necessarily mean more friction.

You show you're stupidity when you knock down others to prove your point. You're an A$$...to suggest to Kitty that she should shift her V6 at 1,500 RPMS is stupidity times 1,000!

I do it all the time, Heck, I do it in my Focus!

My 68 mustang lasted a LOT longer than my roommate's Accord. It's still on the road, his accord died 15 years ago.

:smoke:

SHELBY GT 500 Member
V6 Member

Quote:
Heat, more then the up-down movement of the piston is what wears out an engine. The Honda's have a much better history of engine reliability and durability then Ford's. Let's not bash the competition in order to make our ride look better.....yea, and this from me, a very happy Mustang owner.
https://www.allfordmustangs.com/forum...ad.php?t=49989

You don't remember this?!

and when did I ever call you names? That's sooooo unlike me.

SHELBY GT 500 Member
V6 Member

http://autos.msn.com/research/vip/re...&model=Mustang

Click year for details: 1999 2000 2001 2002 2003

Overall 5 out of 5 5 out of 5 5 out of 5 5 out of 5 5 out of 5

From Consumer Reports.

SHELBY GT 500 Member
V6 Member

http://www.cartalk.com/content/colum...bruary/10.html

re: shifting.

SHELBY GT 500 Member
V6 Member

https://www.allfordmustangs.com/forum...426#post387426

Quote:
Originally Posted by GR40Snake
You did not say if your car has a manual transmission. If it does your best bet is to shift at the lowest rpm possible and get into top gear as soon as possible. Maybe even start in 2nd. When I'm just cruzing I'm in 5th by 40mph . I know but I get livable mpg even with 4.10's. A properly maintained vehicle as well as upping the tire pressure, as mentioned above though not to much due to increased center tire wear that will counter the money saved on gas, will help. Road&Track did an article on this and short shifting was the answer.
Hey Lovcom, are you gonna' jump this guy too?

:laughlitt

Rookie

this is from a guy who reads consumer reports the most byassed magazine towards japenese cars. Any jap car i see on the road ten years or older is always smoking out the tailpipe. i never see an American car do that. Plus American cas are built much stronger than jap cars. jap cars are tin cans
SHELBY GT 500 Member
V6 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by intmdtrdal
this is from a guy who reads consumer reports the most byassed magazine towards japenese cars. Any jap car i see on the road ten years or older is always smoking out the tailpipe. i never see an American car do that. Plus American cas are built much stronger than jap cars. jap cars are tin cans
Consumer Reports see cars as appliances.

Their survey comes from its readers, not the entire population. Nor do they ask what a "significant" problem is. THe bias is not from consumer reports, it's from the readers of consumer reports.

JDPower gathers data from ALL owners, and pulls the codes from manufacturers of ALL vehicles. there is a methodology as to what is a "significant" problem, and minor annoyances.

It's why JDPower is the industry standard, and no manufacturer uses Consumer Reports in their advertisements.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page