Shifting Gears - help! - Ford Mustang Forum
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 29 (permalink) Old 11-04-2005 Thread Starter

Shifting Gears - help!

Okay - let's see. I've always driven a standard. In fact - I've always driven a 4-cylinder. Now I'm in a 2006 V6 and feel like I might be shifting at RPMs that are too high. I don't want to hurt my car!!!!
For example - when I pay attention, I shift from 2nd to 3rd at 2500 - 3000 RPMs. I'm used to listening to the engine in order to determine when to shift. Anyone have any advice/recommendations on this?

Oh yeah - also.. when down shifting I read in teh manual not to down shift to 1st when going 15 MPH or slower, but when I keep it in 2nd at 5 MPH the car struggles. I really don't think I could do much damage in shifting from 2nd to 1st at 10MPH and below?
right?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 29 (permalink) Old 11-04-2005
SHELBY GT 500 Member
V6 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadKitty2006
Okay - let's see. I've always driven a standard. In fact - I've always driven a 4-cylinder. Now I'm in a 2006 V6 and feel like I might be shifting at RPMs that are too high. I don't want to hurt my car!!!!
For example - when I pay attention, I shift from 2nd to 3rd at 2500 - 3000 RPMs. I'm used to listening to the engine in order to determine when to shift. Anyone have any advice/recommendations on this?

Oh yeah - also.. when down shifting I read in teh manual not to down shift to 1st when going 15 MPH or slower, but when I keep it in 2nd at 5 MPH the car struggles. I really don't think I could do much damage in shifting from 2nd to 1st at 10MPH and below?
right?
I don't know exactly what the manual says, it's probably for better gas mileage, and not for mechanical durability issues.

You generally don't need to rev that high to shift. you can generally shift at 1500 if you're not in a hurry, the car has a lot of torque, so you don't really have to rev it, when you do, your mpgs go way down.

Woe to him who builds his palace by unrighteousness,his upper rooms by injustice,making his countrymen work for nothing...Does it make you a king to have more and more cedar?Did not your father have food and drink?He did what was right and just,so all went well with him. He defended the cause of the poor and needy,and so all went well...But your eyes and your heart are set only on dishonest gain,on shedding innocent blood and on oppression and extortion. Jer 22:13, 15-17
post #3 of 29 (permalink) Old 11-04-2005 Thread Starter

Good to know - I guess having a civic as my last car.... this is a HUGE difference... going from a dainty little squeak of an engine to what feels and sounds like a tiger - I could be a little gentler.
Thanks for the advice!

post #4 of 29 (permalink) Old 11-04-2005
SHELBY GT 500 Member
V6 Member

Quote:
Good to know - I guess having a civic as my last car.... this is a HUGE difference... going from a dainty little squeak of an engine to what feels and sounds like a tiger - I could be a little gentler.
Thanks for the advice!
heck, you can go from 1st to 3rd, & skip 2nd all together, then go from 3rd to 5th.

Or 2nd ->4th,

You don't really have to worry that much about shift points.

When I showed my sister how to shift, we just left it in idle.

Woe to him who builds his palace by unrighteousness,his upper rooms by injustice,making his countrymen work for nothing...Does it make you a king to have more and more cedar?Did not your father have food and drink?He did what was right and just,so all went well with him. He defended the cause of the poor and needy,and so all went well...But your eyes and your heart are set only on dishonest gain,on shedding innocent blood and on oppression and extortion. Jer 22:13, 15-17
post #5 of 29 (permalink) Old 11-04-2005
SHELBY GT 500 Member
V6 Member

GLad to hear you left the dark-side!!

post #6 of 29 (permalink) Old 11-04-2005 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kscoyote
heck, you can go from 1st to 3rd, & skip 2nd all together, then go from 3rd to 5th.

Or 2nd ->4th,

You don't really have to worry that much about shift points.

When I showed my sister how to shift, we just left it in idle.
Yeah - I used to skip gears all the time in my civic.. I guess with a new car- I'm a little leery.... i was thinking of getting an extended warranty too... like an extra 7 years. I don't know though - my dad doesn't think it to be such a good idea - any suggestions in that area?

thanks!!
post #7 of 29 (permalink) Old 11-04-2005
SHELBY GT 500 Member
V6 Member

Quote:
Yeah - I used to skip gears all the time in my civic.. I guess with a new car- I'm a little leery.... i was thinking of getting an extended warranty too... like an extra 7 years. I don't know though - my dad doesn't think it to be such a good idea - any suggestions in that area?

thanks!!
If you took the money you would use to pay for the warranty, and put it in the bank, you would more than likely come out ahead.

They wouldn't offer insurance otherwise. The chances of something going wrong are either very small or something that will break will cost less than the premiums you pay.

It's a racket.

post #8 of 29 (permalink) Old 11-04-2005
V6 Member

1500 rpm!!!???? How slow do you guys drive? I never shift earlier than 2K and most of the time I shift between 2500 and 3000. My advice: shift wherever you feel comfortable doing so.

They don't want you going into first above 15mph due to durability issues. I've done it at 20mph but I don't recommend it. I'm never in 2nd gear below 10mph.
post #9 of 29 (permalink) Old 11-04-2005
SHELBY GT 500 Member
V6 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monkey Boy
1500 rpm!!!???? How slow do you guys drive? I never shift earlier than 2K and most of the time I shift between 2500 and 3000. My advice: shift wherever you feel comfortable doing so.

They don't want you going into first above 15mph due to durability issues. I've done it at 20mph but I don't recommend it. I'm never in 2nd gear below 10mph.
you're in lazy traffic, you shift for mileage, not power , ,,

PONY Member
4.6L Member

Send a message via AIM to Venom810
by the time u down shift to second you shouldnt need to go to first , if stopping im assuming . when you D/S to second the car should be pretty much ready to stop by gently pushing the brake, and if in traffic just go from second to "N" and let it roll. As for shifting gears there's a big difference within a Civic's 4 banger power and a Mustang 6 banger so it'll feel funny at first but try shifting at 3000 rpm's to get a feel if you need to go lower or stay at that (even 3500 rpm's is ok ).I use to drive a Eclipse 4cyl. so i know how you feel :kooky:

2004 4.6 mustang GT - completely stock ATM.

Up for sale !!!!! will deal and talk trades .. PM ME
post #11 of 29 (permalink) Old 11-07-2005 Thread Starter

Quote:

Well - I was checkin it out this weekend - and I don't see HOW I could go 1500 RPM's or lower... I definitley shift at 2500 or higher.. it would be too weird to do otherwise...
V6 Member

To save gas, I shift at 2000 rpm. But when i take back roads, to avoid traffic, I shift at 3-3500 rpm. I've even went as high as 4000. When you do it once, and get the feeling, you'll want to do it all the time!!!
SHELBY GT 500 Member
V6 Member

Quote:

And you guys wonder how I get such stellar mileage . . .

V6 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kscoyote
And you guys wonder how I get such stellar mileage . . .

I'm Republican, I burn hydrocarbons like its going out of style! :kooky:
SHELBY GT 500 Member
V6 Member

Quote:
I'm Republican, I burn hydrocarbons like its going out of style! :kooky:
I reckon I have nothing to say (for once!).

When you say Budweiser!

you've said it all!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page