Traction Control - Ford Mustang Forum
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-07-2005 Thread Starter
PONY Member
V6 Member

Exclamation Traction Control

Ok... So im getting gears... I have an Auto, so i went with the 4.10's... I know my car has Traction Control... Is this the same as the "Traction Lok" i can buy? I know it stops the wheel spin ( No Fun)...Since i have the Traction Control will i need to buy anything else to make the 4.10's work with my car... All i did was buy the gears, so is there anything else i will need to buy before i tear into the car?

02 stang, True Dual exhaust, CAI, 4.10 gears, 180 Thermostat, Diablosport tuned, dropped 2", Cross Drilled rotors, Zri Fuzion Tires, GT RSB + more
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-07-2005
PONY Member
5.0L Member

Send a message via AIM to speedytang
Traction control works by retarding the timing and the computer putting the rear brakes on wheel to wheel to allow the tire with the most traction to get traction. You need a rear diff. and you will also need a tuning device so the computer understands that the car now has 4.10 gears or nothing will operate correctly because everything will be way off in the wheel rpm.

Twin Turbo Intercooled(TTi)
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-07-2005
V6 Member

None of the V6 cars came from the factory with traction lock. If you install the 4.10s without traction control, you will never get the rear wheels to hook up.

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-07-2005 Thread Starter
PONY Member
V6 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monkey Boy
None of the V6 cars came from the factory with traction lock. If you install the 4.10s without traction control, you will never get the rear wheels to hook up.
Ok well... for now i cant get the traction control... but does anyone know where i can get the computer remapped??? i dont really want to get a programmer... but can like ford do it???

02 stang, True Dual exhaust, CAI, 4.10 gears, 180 Thermostat, Diablosport tuned, dropped 2", Cross Drilled rotors, Zri Fuzion Tires, GT RSB + more
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-07-2005
V6 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kmagn13
Ok well... for now i cant get the traction control... but does anyone know where i can get the computer remapped??? i dont really want to get a programmer... but can like ford do it???
If there was another model of car that Ford made that had the same computer and engine as your V6 stang does but had a more aggressive tune, you could have Ford upload the program for that car. Unfortunatley, Ford didn't put a more aggressive tune in the F-150 or Aerostar so you are screwed. A good example of this is the 5.0 Explorer. It has better heads and intake than the 5.0 Mustang but the stang has a much better tune. If you upload the Mustang tune on the Explorer, it runs like a scalded dog. You'll just have to save up for a programmer.
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-08-2005 Thread Starter
PONY Member
V6 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monkey Boy
If there was another model of car that Ford made that had the same computer and engine as your V6 stang does but had a more aggressive tune, you could have Ford upload the program for that car. Unfortunatley, Ford didn't put a more aggressive tune in the F-150 or Aerostar so you are screwed. A good example of this is the 5.0 Explorer. It has better heads and intake than the 5.0 Mustang but the stang has a much better tune. If you upload the Mustang tune on the Explorer, it runs like a scalded dog. You'll just have to save up for a programmer.
So since i dont really have a choice, what programmer would be the best?... also do i have to do it now... or can i use the 4.10's w/o having the programmer for a month or so?

post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-08-2005
PONY Member
5.0L Member

Being a Auto it will need reprogrammed or the car will not drive correctly because the gears are changing the shift and the wheel sensors will be throwing codes everytime the unit is driven.

post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-08-2005 Thread Starter
PONY Member
V6 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedytang
Being a Auto it will need reprogrammed or the car will not drive correctly because the gears are changing the shift and the wheel sensors will be throwing codes everytime the unit is driven.
so what programmer would be the best one to get to fix the gear problem??

post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-08-2005
V6 Member

Diablo Predator.
PONY Member
5.0L Member

The truth is you don't need to spend the big bucks just get a Gear Calibrator for $60. It plugs between the transmission and the speed sensor on the transmission. You flip switches for which gears you have and the transmission will shift correctly and the speedometer will be correct.

V6 Member

Quote:
The truth is you don't need to spend the big bucks just get a Gear Calibrator for $60. It plugs between the transmission and the speed sensor on the transmission. You flip switches for which gears you have and the transmission will shift correctly and the speedometer will be correct.
You can't buy a speed calibrator for an automatic, only manuals. You have to buy a tuner for autos.
PONY Member
5.0L Member

Thats interesting because I installed one for someone on a Auto '03 Mach1. Works great and no problems at all.

SHELBY GT 500 Member
V6 Member

Quote:
Thats interesting because I installed one for someone on a Auto '03 Mach1. Works great and no problems at all.
I've never heard of the part, but generally, the unless the shift points are changed in the computer controlled transmission, it may seem to work fine, but the tranny will have a severely shortened life.

It's not the speedo that you have to worry about.

Woe to him who builds his palace by unrighteousness,his upper rooms by injustice,making his countrymen work for nothing...Does it make you a king to have more and more cedar?Did not your father have food and drink?He did what was right and just,so all went well with him. He defended the cause of the poor and needy,and so all went well...But your eyes and your heart are set only on dishonest gain,on shedding innocent blood and on oppression and extortion. Jer 22:13, 15-17
post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-10-2005 Thread Starter
PONY Member
V6 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kscoyote
I've never heard of the part, but generally, the unless the shift points are changed in the computer controlled transmission, it may seem to work fine, but the tranny will have a severely shortened life.

It's not the speedo that you have to worry about.
So your saying to just spend the $400 and buy the programmer???, also would i be able to drive for a few weeks without the programmer???

SHELBY GT 500 Member
V6 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kmagn13
So your saying to just spend the $400 and buy the programmer???, also would i be able to drive for a few weeks without the programmer???
yeah, just don't make it too long

Woe to him who builds his palace by unrighteousness,his upper rooms by injustice,making his countrymen work for nothing...Does it make you a king to have more and more cedar?Did not your father have food and drink?He did what was right and just,so all went well with him. He defended the cause of the poor and needy,and so all went well...But your eyes and your heart are set only on dishonest gain,on shedding innocent blood and on oppression and extortion. Jer 22:13, 15-17
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page