Help Gear Install - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-12-2005 Thread Starter
PONY Member
V6 Member

Help Gear Install

OK so i got my gears in... but i really want to put them in myself... can anyone give me a walkthrough on how to do it...i really want to do the work, without help from my machanic... lol... that is unless i break something

02 stang, True Dual exhaust, CAI, 4.10 gears, 180 Thermostat, Diablosport tuned, dropped 2", Cross Drilled rotors, Zri Fuzion Tires, GT RSB + more
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-12-2005
GT Member
V6 Member

I WOULD NOT recommend doing them yourself. They have to be calibrated to the the differential and aligned with to many other things. Shims may be needed.....just not a good idea. I would save up for a T-lok if you do not allready have one and wait to install them both at once at a shop that will instal them.

Lee
2012 V6 Ingot Silver MT
2012 V6 Grabber Blue AT
1991 Ford F150
2005 Honda Civic
----------------------------------------------
12v Guru
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-12-2005
PONY Member
5.0L Member

Send a message via MSN to wayne94mustang
if you are handy with tools you CAN do it yourself....i never did one till i did...lol now iv done tons. it can be tricky but the key is to find a good set of directions of what the marking compound sould look like and what to do if its wrong i think i got mine at motivegear.com

94 gt aode baumannator,pi stallion 3000 stall,transgo,mega bite jrs,3.90 gears,31 spine moser axles,comp exteme,1.7 roller rockers,190 pump,mac cold air,ford 1 5/8 unequals, off road h,flowmaster 2 chamber with stainless tails,msd box,PIH(a9p computer ajustable fan controler),q1a k-member,kenny brown frame ties,driveshaft loop,air pump eliminator kit,bbk 70mm tb,pro-m bullit meter,24#injecters,ported heads&intake,and all the little bolt ons.

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-12-2005
SHELBY GT 500 Member
V6 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wayne94mustang
if you are handy with tools you CAN do it yourself....i never did one till i did...lol now iv done tons. it can be tricky but the key is to find a good set of directions of what the marking compound sould look like and what to do if its wrong i think i got mine at motivegear.com
If you tackle it on your own, you should have someone experienced help you - - - offer the mechanic a six pack to supervise you . ..

even seasoned mechanics mess up gears, and it's getting harder to find one who will work on 'em . ..

Woe to him who builds his palace by unrighteousness,his upper rooms by injustice,making his countrymen work for nothing...Does it make you a king to have more and more cedar?Did not your father have food and drink?He did what was right and just,so all went well with him. He defended the cause of the poor and needy,and so all went well...But your eyes and your heart are set only on dishonest gain,on shedding innocent blood and on oppression and extortion. Jer 22:13, 15-17
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-12-2005 Thread Starter
PONY Member
V6 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kscoyote
If you tackle it on your own, you should have someone experienced help you - - - offer the mechanic a six pack to supervise you . ..

even seasoned mechanics mess up gears, and it's getting harder to find one who will work on 'em . ..
Yea i have someone that knows what they are doing... but just in case does anyone have a link to some good instructions???

02 stang, True Dual exhaust, CAI, 4.10 gears, 180 Thermostat, Diablosport tuned, dropped 2", Cross Drilled rotors, Zri Fuzion Tires, GT RSB + more
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-15-2005
PONY Member
5.0L Member

Send a message via MSN to wayne94mustang
yes...look at my post

94 gt aode baumannator,pi stallion 3000 stall,transgo,mega bite jrs,3.90 gears,31 spine moser axles,comp exteme,1.7 roller rockers,190 pump,mac cold air,ford 1 5/8 unequals, off road h,flowmaster 2 chamber with stainless tails,msd box,PIH(a9p computer ajustable fan controler),q1a k-member,kenny brown frame ties,driveshaft loop,air pump eliminator kit,bbk 70mm tb,pro-m bullit meter,24#injecters,ported heads&intake,and all the little bolt ons.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-16-2005 Thread Starter
PONY Member
V6 Member

Exclamation

Ok... so i went to find someone to install the gears... well to get a price... but i was unable to find anyone that will do it. everyone that i talked to said they would only do it for stock replacement... so i dont know what i will do if i mess it up... anyone got ideas??? besides (dont mess it up)

post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-16-2005
SHELBY GT 500 Member
V6 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kmagn13
Ok... so i went to find someone to install the gears... well to get a price... but i was unable to find anyone that will do it. everyone that i talked to said they would only do it for stock replacement... so i dont know what i will do if i mess it up... anyone got ideas??? besides (dont mess it up)
Where are you?

You know, at some point you should at least partially fill out the profile, so we can figure out what's going on!

:smoke:

Woe to him who builds his palace by unrighteousness,his upper rooms by injustice,making his countrymen work for nothing...Does it make you a king to have more and more cedar?Did not your father have food and drink?He did what was right and just,so all went well with him. He defended the cause of the poor and needy,and so all went well...But your eyes and your heart are set only on dishonest gain,on shedding innocent blood and on oppression and extortion. Jer 22:13, 15-17
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-17-2005 Thread Starter
PONY Member
V6 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kscoyote
Where are you?

You know, at some point you should at least partially fill out the profile, so we can figure out what's going on!

:smoke:
I live in Corpus Christi, TX

SHELBY GT 500 Member
V6 Member

Quote:
I live in Corpus Christi, TX
ohhh . . . I was just down there . . ..

You may have to go to Houston . . . that's kind of a small town, eh?

Seems like 125000 or less people?

SHELBY GT 500 Member
V6 Member

try this . . .

http://custom.autos.yahoo.com/installer-dir/

Apprentice

Do It Yourself!

Quote:
OK so i got my gears in... but i really want to put them in myself... can anyone give me a walkthrough on how to do it...i really want to do the work, without help from my machanic... lol... that is unless i break something
Hi. Log on to the "AutoZone" site. There's a do it yourself section. It has pictures, tips, exact method, what to avoid, etc., etc. I printed out all the directions I need to replace my differential when the "Stang" comes out of the barn in May. I should add this 'caveat', it's more tech than doing plugs, so be a confident person with the wrench. I'm doing my own but I've overhauled a couple of engines and replaced a rear-end, back in the 60's. In fact, I'm in my 60's and to me this is fun from my youth. I'm using 'motivegear' and purchased a bearing & shim kit from them which includes the gear dye to check your depth set and alignment [instructions on what that all is at the "AutoZone" site]. I'm only sorry I can't give you more until after May '06, when I'll have discovered the difference between a '95 "stang" and the '63 Chevy I did 40 years ago. Good luck, once you've done it, it's a walk in the park the next time.

'95, white convertable, auto trans, under drive pulley, cai, 3:73 gear. Just enough snap for a 62 year old kid! (my wife's a blond so the top MUST be down, or she won't get in!!)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in