Check Engine Light 2001 V6 - Ford Mustang Forum
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-16-2005 Thread Starter
 
Elizabeth1957's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2005
Posts: 3
 
Check Engine Light 2001 V6

I have a 2001 V6 and the Check Engine Light is on.... any ideas what it could be? I have about 40K miles. Last weekend, I drove 400 miles and after I put a full tank of gas in the car, the light went away, but now it's back. What could be the possibilites for this?

Thanks in advance for your help!

Elizabeth1957 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-16-2005
SHELBY GT 500 Member
V6 Member
 
kscoyote's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2002
Location: Topeka
Posts: 11,432
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elizabeth1957
I have a 2001 V6 and the Check Engine Light is on.... any ideas what it could be? I have about 40K miles. Last weekend, I drove 400 miles and after I put a full tank of gas in the car, the light went away, but now it's back. What could be the possibilites for this?

Thanks in advance for your help!
It's usually an oxygen sensor. If it's running ok, you can ignore it, or have 'em put in a new sensor . ..

Sometimes it's just bad gas . . . oline!


Woe to him who builds his palace by unrighteousness,his upper rooms by injustice,making his countrymen work for nothing...Does it make you a king to have more and more cedar?Did not your father have food and drink?He did what was right and just,so all went well with him. He defended the cause of the poor and needy,and so all went well...But your eyes and your heart are set only on dishonest gain,on shedding innocent blood and on oppression and extortion. Jer 22:13, 15-17
kscoyote is offline  
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-16-2005
 
blackfang's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2002
Posts: 918
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by kscoyote
It's usually an oxygen sensor. If it's running ok, you can ignore it, or have 'em put in a new sensor . ..

Sometimes it's just bad gas . . . oline!
I strongly disagree!!

Take it to autozone and have them scan it for free. You nor the guy above knows why that light went off. He made a BS assumption, yes I call BS because he did not diag it. Plus his assumption is a shot in the dark.

It could be the fuel cap not tight, throwing an evap code, or you might have other issues. Just because you put gas in it and the light came back on doesnt mean its an 02.
blackfang is offline  
 
post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-16-2005
 
blackfang's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2002
Posts: 918
 
Also bad gas may or may not throw the CEL either.
blackfang is offline  
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-17-2005 Thread Starter
 
Elizabeth1957's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2005
Posts: 3
 
Thank You

Thanks, everyone, for your input. We'll see what happens!

Elizabeth:eyepoppin
Elizabeth1957 is offline  
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-17-2005
SHELBY GT 500 Member
V6 Member
 
kscoyote's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2002
Location: Topeka
Posts: 11,432
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackfang
I strongly disagree!!

Take it to autozone and have them scan it for free. You nor the guy above knows why that light went off. He made a BS assumption, yes I call BS because he did not diag it. Plus his assumption is a shot in the dark.

It could be the fuel cap not tight, throwing an evap code, or you might have other issues. Just because you put gas in it and the light came back on doesnt mean its an 02.
I drove a company crown vic for 5 years, with the CEL flickering. Finally took it in, it was an oxygen sensor.

If it's the fuel cap, it'll go away . . .

it could be something else, but you'd have degraded engine functionality. It wouldn't behave normally.

If it behaves normally in every other way, 9:10, it's an oxygen sensor.

I wouldn't worry about it -take it to the dealership for your next oil change, or autozone to run the code, but it's generally not anything big at 40,000 miles.

Woe to him who builds his palace by unrighteousness,his upper rooms by injustice,making his countrymen work for nothing...Does it make you a king to have more and more cedar?Did not your father have food and drink?He did what was right and just,so all went well with him. He defended the cause of the poor and needy,and so all went well...But your eyes and your heart are set only on dishonest gain,on shedding innocent blood and on oppression and extortion. Jer 22:13, 15-17
kscoyote is offline  
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-17-2005
 
blackfang's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2002
Posts: 918
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by kscoyote
I drove a company crown vic for 5 years, with the CEL flickering. Finally took it in, it was an oxygen sensor.
Ok and? I have serviced several cars with the CEL on and guess what? It wasn't an 02 causing it. That CEL will stay on until the ecu reconized a change in the parameter of that DTC. Just because yours was an 02 related, doesn't mean they all are. There are several different DTC's both emissions and non emissions related. Hell she can have a transmission issues(automatics) that can throw a code.

I had a kid bring in his v6 Mustang with a cel on for a month. What did I find? Maf was dirty, TPS sensor wasn't fully plugged in and the air vent hose on the drivers side valve cover was loose.

Quote:
If it's the fuel cap, it'll go away . . .
Only if you tighten it. If you leave it loose the ECU will reconized it is not pressurized and it will stay on. That is why many auto manufacturers have the EVAP system. I see this alot at the dealership as well.

Quote:
it could be something else, but you'd have degraded engine functionality. It wouldn't behave normally.
Not really. A dirty Maf can throw this and you wont see a decrease in performance, same with the Secondary air injection system on the engine as well, you won't see any chance in performance, Along with the EVAP system and the valve and charcoal canister, ECT sensor can do this, IAT sensor can, even the VSS can have a fault, catalyst below efficiency(converters).I can go on and on, but don't assume it's tyhe 02's because no change of performance will only be associated with the 02's

Quote:
If it behaves normally in every other way, 9:10, it's an oxygen sensor.

I wouldn't worry about it -take it to the dealership for your next oil change, or autozone to run the code, but it's generally not anything big at 40,000 miles.
Again, I just showed you what some of the issues are that can behave correctly that I have found on cars that were not 02 related.

Again, I wouldnt listen to this guy as I have seen people follow that guidance, and I handed them a bigger bill for something they could have fixed sooner. Look at it and you KNOW what it is. It could be anything, and that is why they created the OBD II
blackfang is offline  
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-17-2005
SHELBY GT 500 Member
V6 Member
 
kscoyote's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2002
Location: Topeka
Posts: 11,432
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackfang
Ok and? I have serviced several cars with the CEL on and guess what? It wasn't an 02 causing it. That CEL will stay on until the ecu reconized a change in the parameter of that DTC. Just because yours was an 02 related, doesn't mean they all are. There are several different DTC's both emissions and non emissions related. Hell she can have a transmission issues(automatics) that can throw a code.

I had a kid bring in his v6 Mustang with a cel on for a month. What did I find? Maf was dirty, TPS sensor wasn't fully plugged in and the air vent hose on the drivers side valve cover was loose.

Only if you tighten it. If you leave it loose the ECU will reconized it is not pressurized and it will stay on. That is why many auto manufacturers have the EVAP system. I see this alot at the dealership as well.

Not really. A dirty Maf can throw this and you wont see a decrease in performance, same with the Secondary air injection system on the engine as well, you won't see any chance in performance, Along with the EVAP system and the valve and charcoal canister, ECT sensor can do this, IAT sensor can, even the VSS can have a fault, catalyst below efficiency(converters).I can go on and on, but don't assume it's tyhe 02's because no change of performance will only be associated with the 02's

Again, I just showed you what some of the issues are that can behave correctly that I have found on cars that were not 02 related.

Again, I wouldnt listen to this guy as I have seen people follow that guidance, and I handed them a bigger bill for something they could have fixed sooner. Look at it and you KNOW what it is. It could be anything, and that is why they created the OBD II
The MAF can be leaned with computer contact cleaner, and isn't that big of a deal, neither is the tps sensor not being fully plugged in and the air vent hose being lose. all of that took what, 10 minutes? And the shop (of course) charged an HOUR of service.

Most of the time a dirty MAF will show driveability issues, AND rarely shows up on the CEL, since the computer doesn't know anything's wrong (it's an incorrect reading). ECT and IAT will also have driveability issues.

You are correct, the VSS WON'T show driveability issues, but it's highly unlikely on a 40,000 mile car, unless there's something upstream, which WILL show up in driveability.

I'm not saying anyone shouldn't get it checked out, but I am saying it's probably nothing to panic or otherwise worry about.

Woe to him who builds his palace by unrighteousness,his upper rooms by injustice,making his countrymen work for nothing...Does it make you a king to have more and more cedar?Did not your father have food and drink?He did what was right and just,so all went well with him. He defended the cause of the poor and needy,and so all went well...But your eyes and your heart are set only on dishonest gain,on shedding innocent blood and on oppression and extortion. Jer 22:13, 15-17
kscoyote is offline  
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-17-2005
SHELBY GT 500 Member
V6 Member
 
kscoyote's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2002
Location: Topeka
Posts: 11,432
 
Lastly, 10:1 that kid with the v6 probably did the "damage" himself.

I don't get the feeling Elizabeth was messing around with the CAI . . .

Otherwise, it would have gone something like this:

"I was working on my XXXXX, and after I finished, the CEL came on, It's hard starting, the idle's moving around, etc.

Woe to him who builds his palace by unrighteousness,his upper rooms by injustice,making his countrymen work for nothing...Does it make you a king to have more and more cedar?Did not your father have food and drink?He did what was right and just,so all went well with him. He defended the cause of the poor and needy,and so all went well...But your eyes and your heart are set only on dishonest gain,on shedding innocent blood and on oppression and extortion. Jer 22:13, 15-17
kscoyote is offline  
 
blackfang's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2002
Posts: 918
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by kscoyote
The MAF can be leaned with computer contact cleaner, and isn't that big of a deal, neither is the tps sensor not being fully plugged in and the air vent hose being lose. all of that took what, 10 minutes? And the shop (of course) charged an HOUR of service.
Again, I just stated that other things can set off a CEL and not really show a major drivable issue, so stop giving excuses of whats a big deal or not and how easy it is to fix. That's the " I had no clue what I was talking about, so I am going to smooth it over" reply. Plain and simple you are wrong.
Yes the shop charges a diag. What one doesn't? Do you go to the doctor and not pay for any services performed or a routine checkup if you do not have insurance? Exactly. In the automotive field you are paying for the fact you do not have the experience nor skill to do the job, just like doctors lawyers, etc. So don't cry because of it.

Quote:
Most of the time a dirty MAF will show driveability issues, AND rarely shows up on the CEL, since the computer doesn't know anything's wrong (it's an incorrect reading). ECT and IAT will also have driveability issues.
You must not work on cars for a living because.
One, A dirty maf can cause a CEL to come on. See it quite often.

Two, IAT and ECT do NOT always create a driveability issue. I have had an ECT code thrown on my own car and the car didn't run any different, nor was it hotter than normal. Sometimes the circuits themselves act up and may be enough to trigger a DTC. All I did was scan it with my scanner at the house and reset the code, no more codes were thrown

Quote:
You are correct, the VSS WON'T show driveability issues, but it's highly unlikely on a 40,000 mile car, unless there's something upstream, which WILL show up in driveability.

I'm not saying anyone shouldn't get it checked out, but I am saying it's probably nothing to panic or otherwise worry about.
I have seen a 7,000 mile transmission crap out, seen an 03 cobra shifter come right out of the tranny when I worked for Ford. You will be suprized at what you can see and what mileage is on the vehicle.

I never said to panic either. I just simply pointed out you are giving her some bad advice and that she can get it scanned for free to put her mind and worries at ease. Just because your experience with a company car doesn't justify it as good tech advice of what to do on another car.


As for the CAI, who said anything about a CAI?
blackfang is offline  
SHELBY GT 500 Member
V6 Member
 
kscoyote's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2002
Location: Topeka
Posts: 11,432
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackfang
Again, I just stated that other things can set off a CEL and not really show a major drivable issue, so stop giving excuses of whats a big deal or not and how easy it is to fix. That's the " I had no clue what I was talking about, so I am going to smooth it over" reply. Plain and simple you are wrong.
Yes the shop charges a diag. What one doesn't? Do you go to the doctor and not pay for any services performed or a routine checkup if you do not have insurance? Exactly. In the automotive field you are paying for the fact you do not have the experience nor skill to do the job, just like doctors lawyers, etc. So don't cry because of it.


You must not work on cars for a living because.
One, A dirty maf can cause a CEL to come on. See it quite often.

Two, IAT and ECT do NOT always create a driveability issue. I have had an ECT code thrown on my own car and the car didn't run any different, nor was it hotter than normal. Sometimes the circuits themselves act up and may be enough to trigger a DTC. All I did was scan it with my scanner at the house and reset the code, no more codes were thrown



I have seen a 7,000 mile transmission crap out, seen an 03 cobra shifter come right out of the tranny when I worked for Ford. You will be suprized at what you can see and what mileage is on the vehicle.

I never said to panic either. I just simply pointed out you are giving her some bad advice and that she can get it scanned for free to put her mind and worries at ease. Just because your experience with a company car doesn't justify it as good tech advice of what to do on another car.


As for the CAI, who said anything about a CAI?

How do you think all the stuff you described came apart?

the plug unplugs itself, & a hose at the same time + a dirty MAF. all at the same time?

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackfang
Two, IAT and ECT do NOT always create a driveability issue. I have had an ECT code thrown on my own car and the car didn't run any different, nor was it hotter than normal. Sometimes the circuits themselves act up and may be enough to trigger a DTC. All I did was scan it with my scanner at the house and reset the code, no more codes were thrown
So nothing to worry about, eh? you could ignore it?

Oh, you're right, I just noticed I didn't put my usual caveat to mention it at an oil change -they'll usually pull the code for free while it's in the shop.

But I still say it's probably an oxygen sensor, in 3+ years on this site, I was wrong once on the CEL with so few miles, and it was a loose gas cap, if I remember correctly. You can look up all 7000 posts if you want, but it's anything that requires service, 9:10 it's an oxygen sensor, and as long as it doesn't affect driveability, I wouldn't worry about it.

Woe to him who builds his palace by unrighteousness,his upper rooms by injustice,making his countrymen work for nothing...Does it make you a king to have more and more cedar?Did not your father have food and drink?He did what was right and just,so all went well with him. He defended the cause of the poor and needy,and so all went well...But your eyes and your heart are set only on dishonest gain,on shedding innocent blood and on oppression and extortion. Jer 22:13, 15-17
kscoyote is offline  
 
blackfang's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2002
Posts: 918
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by kscoyote
How do you think all the stuff you described came apart?

the plug unplugs itself, & a hose at the same time + a dirty MAF. all at the same time?
He had a stock air filter. I told him he had to have messed with the TPS for it to come loose(not all the way off), but he had the factory airbox and a paper filter. :laughlitt There you go assuming again. If I recall, The car had 80k+ on it.

Quote:
So nothing to worry about, eh? you could ignore it?

Oh, you're right, I just noticed I didn't put my usual caveat to mention it at an oil change -they'll usually pull the code for free while it's in the shop.
I would not ignore anything that throws a code that is coolant related. I would look into it first to determine what it is. Same with the IAT which affects the air fuel delivery. Again, something to look into.

As for checking the cel at an oil change,
No shop that changes oil will pull a CEL for free except Jiffy lube or any other quick lube places that do not have flat rate techs. My dealership won't do it, nor did the Ford dealership I worked at did it Nor a few smaller repair shops like merchants/NTB/Tirekingdom when I worked there as a tech. Firestone, Pep Boys, nor Goodyear will. They will gladly do it for some diag time usually 5 tenthsto 1 hour time, but it will not be free, unless they use a General"I just do oil changes" Service tech do it.
However, that doesn't mean you have stopped a potential problem. Some people do not know what to look or listen for when it comes to poor performance. Her going to autozone and having it scanned for free on her way home from work won't help and could possibly benefit her.

Quote:
But I still say it's probably an oxygen sensor, in 3+ years on this site, I was wrong once on the CEL with so few miles, and it was a loose gas cap, if I remember correctly. You can look up all 7000 posts if you want, but it's anything that requires service, 9:10 it's an oxygen sensor, and as long as it doesn't affect driveability, I wouldn't worry about it.
It very well may be, however being on a car site doesn't make you an expert who can diagnose online without even looking at the car(those guys are the wrost and should be avoided). There are plenty of retards online that aren't techs, nor know what they are talking about. That doesn't make you nor them the expert. Hell I am not even an expert and I work in the field.
I go off of experience in working on cars, selling service for a living, not being on a website killing time. I am smart enough to know not to diag online and assume what something is without even looking at it. I have better things to do than look at your 7k posts that proves nothing but luck.

I agree oxygen/air fuel sensors aren't anything too major to worryabout. However lets get a few things straight.
1. You have not diagnosed the vehicle by looking at it
2. You have not determined what is causing that CEL to come on
3 You can't say for sure if it is or isnt anything to worry about, see 1&2
4 You are going off an assumption.

I am not gonna argue anymore on someones assumptions. You can, but then again you should have ran for President
blackfang is offline  
SHELBY GT 500 Member
V6 Member
 
kscoyote's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2002
Location: Topeka
Posts: 11,432
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackfang
He had a stock air filter. I told him he had to have messed with the TPS for it to come loose(not all the way off), but he had the factory airbox and a paper filter. :laughlitt There you go assuming again. If I recall, The car had 80k+ on it.



I would not ignore anything that throws a code that is coolant related. I would look into it first to determine what it is. Same with the IAT which affects the air fuel delivery. Again, something to look into.

As for checking the cel at an oil change,
No shop that changes oil will pull a CEL for free except Jiffy lube or any other quick lube places that do not have flat rate techs. My dealership won't do it, nor did the Ford dealership I worked at did it Nor a few smaller repair shops like merchants/NTB/Tirekingdom when I worked there as a tech. Firestone, Pep Boys, nor Goodyear will. They will gladly do it for some diag time usually 5 tenthsto 1 hour time, but it will not be free, unless they use a General"I just do oil changes" Service tech do it.
However, that doesn't mean you have stopped a potential problem. Some people do not know what to look or listen for when it comes to poor performance. Her going to autozone and having it scanned for free on her way home from work won't help and could possibly benefit her.


It very well may be, however being on a car site doesn't make you an expert who can diagnose online without even looking at the car(those guys are the wrost and should be avoided). There are plenty of retards online that aren't techs, nor know what they are talking about. That doesn't make you nor them the expert. Hell I am not even an expert and I work in the field.
I go off of experience in working on cars, selling service for a living, not being on a website killing time. I am smart enough to know not to diag online and assume what something is without even looking at it. I have better things to do than look at your 7k posts that proves nothing but luck.

I agree oxygen/air fuel sensors aren't anything too major to worryabout. However lets get a few things straight.
1. You have not diagnosed the vehicle by looking at it
2. You have not determined what is causing that CEL to come on
3 You can't say for sure if it is or isnt anything to worry about, see 1&2
4 You are going off an assumption.

I am not gonna argue anymore on someones assumptions. You can, but then again you should have ran for President

I always take my car to the dealership, and not only do they pull the codes for free (you can actually do it yourself) but they wash and vacuum my car for free, too.

you can jump me however much you want, but if it goes away intermittently, and there's no driveability issues, I wouldn't worry much about it.

every example you've given has driveability issues, even the ones that don't won't harm your engine, though you may experience some loss in mpg. there's nothig that will harm the engine.

It's just nothing to worry about.

Woe to him who builds his palace by unrighteousness,his upper rooms by injustice,making his countrymen work for nothing...Does it make you a king to have more and more cedar?Did not your father have food and drink?He did what was right and just,so all went well with him. He defended the cause of the poor and needy,and so all went well...But your eyes and your heart are set only on dishonest gain,on shedding innocent blood and on oppression and extortion. Jer 22:13, 15-17
kscoyote is offline  
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-20-2005 Thread Starter
 
Elizabeth1957's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2005
Posts: 3
 
Thank you again...

Thanks, guys, for all of your input. And you're right, I haven't messed with anything... just saw the light and wanted some ideas.

I really appreciate all of your advise - I'll keep you posted!

Elizabeth
Elizabeth1957 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Closed Thread

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Check Engine Light / Fuel Gauge bbuddy214 2005-2010 Mustang GT Tech 13 05-19-2007 11:24 PM
Check engine light!!!!! NEWBE17 V6 Tech 2 10-13-2005 01:45 PM
Check engine light on My 97 Cobra?? FoxRacing SVT Cobra Tech 3 01-27-2005 09:46 AM
check engine light sfcl V6 Tech 5 01-01-2005 05:38 PM
check engine light algibson Mustang Tech 4 07-25-2004 08:53 AM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome
 


Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.1