What to do in order to improve mpgs - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-17-2005 Thread Starter
joe

What to do in order to improve mpgs

I have a basic stock 2001 mustang convertable and was wondering what I could do to boost my mpgs. I hope to find out what mods will help and if possible how?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-17-2005
SHELBY GT 500 Member
V6 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe
I have a basic stock 2001 mustang convertable and was wondering what I could do to boost my mpgs. I hope to find out what mods will help and if possible how?
Generally, making the car more efficient will increase your mileage.

The biggest factor are your tires, increase the psi, and you mileage will improve significantly.

Next you may want to pick up a set of underdriver pulleys, and a K&N filter. Switching to a less restrictive exhaust system will also improve mileage, as will using a synthetic or synth-blend lubricant in your engine and rear gear.

Woe to him who builds his palace by unrighteousness,his upper rooms by injustice,making his countrymen work for nothing...Does it make you a king to have more and more cedar?Did not your father have food and drink?He did what was right and just,so all went well with him. He defended the cause of the poor and needy,and so all went well...But your eyes and your heart are set only on dishonest gain,on shedding innocent blood and on oppression and extortion. Jer 22:13, 15-17
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-17-2005 Thread Starter
joe

underdriver pulleys

I hear people mentioning them but do not understand how that will help could you explain?

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-17-2005
SHELBY GT 500 Member
V6 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe
I hear people mentioning them but do not understand how that will help could you explain?
Ok, the engine in your car is also used in much larger vehicles, including minivans, meaning that all your accessories were built for a much larger vehicle with more electronics (dvdplayers, etc).

Your AC, Alternator, Power Steering etc, all take engine power to turn. by slowing down the rate at which the accessories turn, you increase the efficiency of the engine, which increases your miles per gallon.

Woe to him who builds his palace by unrighteousness,his upper rooms by injustice,making his countrymen work for nothing...Does it make you a king to have more and more cedar?Did not your father have food and drink?He did what was right and just,so all went well with him. He defended the cause of the poor and needy,and so all went well...But your eyes and your heart are set only on dishonest gain,on shedding innocent blood and on oppression and extortion. Jer 22:13, 15-17
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-17-2005 Thread Starter
joe

ok so then I should get smaller then stock pulleys, my next question any suggestions on size? or even kits that have worked out well for you
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-17-2005
SHELBY GT 500 Member
V6 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe
ok so then I should get smaller then stock pulleys, my next question any suggestions on size? or even kits that have worked out well for you
I'd go with the 42% underdriver offered at www.rpmoutlet.com

Great price, biggest reduction, no problems.

post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-17-2005
Apprentice

You did not say if your car has a manual transmission. If it does your best bet is to shift at the lowest rpm possible and get into top gear as soon as possible. Maybe even start in 2nd. When I'm just cruzing I'm in 5th by 40mph . I know but I get livable mpg even with 4.10's. A properly maintained vehicle as well as upping the tire pressure, as mentioned above though not to much due to increased center tire wear that will counter the money saved on gas, will help. Road&Track did an article on this and short shifting was the answer.

98 SVT Cobra Black/Black - Griggs Racing GR40 system w/ Koni D/A coilovers F/R, T56 w/ AlumFly&Shaft, Pro-5.0 w/ JRoush Shifter handle, 4.10's, KBrown Extreme Matrix System, Magnaflow X w/ MagnaPac dumps, JLT CAI, FRiver Power Steering Rack&Shaft, Miezer Electric Water Pump, Steeda SFI Crank Pulley, Taylor 10.5mm wires & Autolite 764, EradiSpeed+ F/R w/Steel Lines Hawk+, Plasma Booster, Toyo RA1, etc.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-17-2005
SHELBY GT 500 Member
V6 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GR40Snake
You did not say if your car has a manual transmission. If it does your best bet is to shift at the lowest rpm possible and get into top gear as soon as possible. Maybe even start in 2nd. When I'm just cruzing I'm in 5th by 40mph . I know but I get livable mpg even with 4.10's. A properly maintained vehicle as well as upping the tire pressure, as mentioned above though not to much due to increased center tire wear that will counter the money saved on gas, will help. Road&Track did an article on this and short shifting was the answer.
yeah, it's forced on GM v8s. there's a lockout unless you're at WOT.

post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-17-2005
Apprentice

GM Skip Shift has to be the most annoying device ever invented that was put on a car . Its decisions like that that's driving them, or the rumors of, towards bankruptcy. It does allow them to put better #'s on the window sticker, more of a loophole if you ask me to get there average fleet mpg #'s up as required by the feds. Flash it out is a must.

98 SVT Cobra Black/Black - Griggs Racing GR40 system w/ Koni D/A coilovers F/R, T56 w/ AlumFly&Shaft, Pro-5.0 w/ JRoush Shifter handle, 4.10's, KBrown Extreme Matrix System, Magnaflow X w/ MagnaPac dumps, JLT CAI, FRiver Power Steering Rack&Shaft, Miezer Electric Water Pump, Steeda SFI Crank Pulley, Taylor 10.5mm wires & Autolite 764, EradiSpeed+ F/R w/Steel Lines Hawk+, Plasma Booster, Toyo RA1, etc.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in