This pulley buisness.. - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-27-2005 Thread Starter

Question This pulley buisness..

So im pretty new about mechanical stuff in cars, let me give you an idea. Most work i have ever done is things like oil changing, brakes (pads), and i changed my water pumped out once. So as you can tell im not a very skilled mechanic but youve gotta start somewhere. Can anyone explain this pulley stuff and how it actually adds power??? Im still trying to figure it out.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-27-2005

By going to an underdriven pulley, u are allowing the engine to spin easier because it has to spin the acessories (alternator, water pump) less thust adding power and better mpg.

post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-28-2005
SHELBY GT 500 Member
V6 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenfieldracin
By going to an underdriven pulley, u are allowing the engine to spin easier because it has to spin the acessories (alternator, water pump) less thust adding power and better mpg.
yeah, all your accessories take hp to turn. the most power intensive are the waterpump, AC, and power steering.

the accessory drives were made for ALL vehicles ford produces, including minivans which take a LOT more AC power to cool, more weight over the front wheels, making more steering boost necessary, etc.

Switching to an underdriver slows down all the accessories, freeing up the hp, lengthening the life of the accessories, and giving you a boost in mpg, as well.

Woe to him who builds his palace by unrighteousness,his upper rooms by injustice,making his countrymen work for nothing...Does it make you a king to have more and more cedar?Did not your father have food and drink?He did what was right and just,so all went well with him. He defended the cause of the poor and needy,and so all went well...But your eyes and your heart are set only on dishonest gain,on shedding innocent blood and on oppression and extortion. Jer 22:13, 15-17

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-28-2005 Thread Starter

So the #1 benifet is mpg boost but does it really add that much more power?? Is this power you can feel in the pedal??
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-28-2005
SHELBY GT 500 Member
V6 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 99'StangTx
So the #1 benifet is mpg boost but does it really add that much more power?? Is this power you can feel in the pedal??
you will feel it most at higher rpms, as that's when the accessories really start to drain power.

it won't take NEARLY as long to hit redline. You'll find passing at highway speeds much easier, etc., If you have a manual, you'll feel it more than in an automatic.

Woe to him who builds his palace by unrighteousness,his upper rooms by injustice,making his countrymen work for nothing...Does it make you a king to have more and more cedar?Did not your father have food and drink?He did what was right and just,so all went well with him. He defended the cause of the poor and needy,and so all went well...But your eyes and your heart are set only on dishonest gain,on shedding innocent blood and on oppression and extortion. Jer 22:13, 15-17
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-28-2005
V6 Member

would the 42% underdrive pulleys be ok on my car? I have two 12" subs/ 1000watt amp and sony 220watt speakers/kenwood deck.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-28-2005
SHELBY GT 500 Member
V6 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEWBE17
would the 42% underdrive pulleys be ok on my car? I have two 12" subs/ 1000watt amp and sony 220watt speakers/kenwood deck.
your car's max underdriver is 25%, I think for the pre-1999s. If you go with the 25% pulleys, you should go with an overdrive for your alternator.

post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-28-2005
V6 Member

Do you know where I can get like a kit with all the pulleys & belt?
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-28-2005
SHELBY GT 500 Member
V6 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEWBE17
Do you know where I can get like a kit with all the pulleys & belt?
www.RPMoutlet.com
www.RPM-mustangs.com
www.GTRhipo.com
www.extremev6racing.com

Mac & ASP for direct prices, which may or may not be better than the above . . .

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in