Goin over bumps, help - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-29-2005 Thread Starter

Goin over bumps, help

Hello, I have 2001 Mustang stock. 60,000 miles runs perfect but recently I've been hearing some knocking sounds whenever iam driving over bumps at speeds of 10-15mph ONLY. By bumps i dont mean pot holes or any dips. Its whenever Iam stuck in traffic in the freeway and drivin over those horizantal lines that cause your car to go up and down, especially the truck lanes have it. thats the only time i hear a rough sound of something coming together. is this the first sign of the shocks having problems or something else. Thank you all!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-29-2005
Apprentice
S197 Member

I'm not sure because I have a different model, but I was having a similar problem with a sound coming from the rear of the car over select pavement separations and the like. It ended up being a loose exhaust hanger and the muffler or pipe was hitting the car's underside. I'd say check all your clamps and hangers on the exhaust. Hope this helps.

Proud Owner of a Legend Lime 05 GT
- Black Leather, 5 speed, IUP

Mods: Flowmaster Axlebacks, Black 8-inch Shorty, MGW Interior Parts, Ford Racing S.T. Brace, Midwest Mirror Inserts, WebElectric Sequentials, 20% Tint, 18" A.R. Shelby Torq-Thrust M's & Nitto 555's, MGW Shifter, Kenwood DVD Player & 3-way 6x9's, Tunable Induction CAI with JLP SCT Dyno Tunes (87 & 93), Roush Stg. 2 Suspension, BMR Adj. Panhard, Powerslot Rotors, Hawk Pads, Steeda S.S. Lines
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-29-2005
SHELBY GT 500 Member
V6 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LegendStang2005
I'm not sure because I have a different model, but I was having a similar problem with a sound coming from the rear of the car over select pavement separations and the like. It ended up being a loose exhaust hanger and the muffler or pipe was hitting the car's underside. I'd say check all your clamps and hangers on the exhaust. Hope this helps.
It's usually the wheel well housings on an SN95

Woe to him who builds his palace by unrighteousness,his upper rooms by injustice,making his countrymen work for nothing...Does it make you a king to have more and more cedar?Did not your father have food and drink?He did what was right and just,so all went well with him. He defended the cause of the poor and needy,and so all went well...But your eyes and your heart are set only on dishonest gain,on shedding innocent blood and on oppression and extortion. Jer 22:13, 15-17

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-30-2005

yeah but the 2001 isnt the SN95 body
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-01-2005
SHELBY GT 500 Member
V6 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7500mj
dude! 1994-2004 is SN95!!!

What did you think it was?

:kooky:

Woe to him who builds his palace by unrighteousness,his upper rooms by injustice,making his countrymen work for nothing...Does it make you a king to have more and more cedar?Did not your father have food and drink?He did what was right and just,so all went well with him. He defended the cause of the poor and needy,and so all went well...But your eyes and your heart are set only on dishonest gain,on shedding innocent blood and on oppression and extortion. Jer 22:13, 15-17
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-01-2005

so the redesign in 1999 didnt change the frame at all?
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-01-2005
SHELBY GT 500 Member
V6 Member

Quote:
so the redesign in 1999 didnt change the frame at all?
No, in fact you can change your 94-98 into a 99-04 with very few modifications.

the difference is in powertrains.

post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-01-2005

how so in the powertrains...i know the intake and heaads are different in the 1999 up v6's how many major mods did they make...i didnt think many..especially if you can piece together yourself a 1999 up body haha
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-01-2005
SHELBY GT 500 Member
V6 Member

Quote:
how so in the powertrains...i know the intake and heaads are different in the 1999 up v6's how many major mods did they make...i didnt think many..especially if you can piece together yourself a 1999 up body haha
to the v6?

new tranny, new k-member, new intake, heads, programming, exhaust hangars, more robust main caps, zero-balance crank, I could go on.

Apprentice

Quote:
What do you mean by "SN95 body"?

2002 Sonic Blue v6 5-speed
Mods: K&N FIPK2 CAI, Motoblue 42% UDP, Steeda Tri-Ax, next up - time for a new clutch I think and a lightweight flywheel if I can find a relatively inexpensive one...
SHELBY GT 500 Member
V6 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by load
What do you mean by "SN95 body"?
During the Fox body was redesign in the early 90's, the new chassis was informally labelled Fox-4 (a 4th evolution of the Fox-based chassis [named after the benchmark volkswagen Fox cars of the 70s]), when it came out in 1994, it was named SN95, for reasons that escape me, probably having something to do with marketing not wanting to refer to it in any way as the then 15 year old chassis.

It's not the body that's called fox-4 or SN95, it's the chassis.

The body in 94-98 bodies were referred to as the bruce jenner body (there may be other names, but that's what the designers called it), the 99+ were called New Edge, picking up the edgy 87-93 cues in the rear bumper and wheelwells, and fenders.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in