My Exhaust Sucks - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-30-2005 Thread Starter

My Exhaust Sucks

Ok so I bought some exhaust thinking it would make my car sound like a V8 (It was the Borla Stainless Steel Cat-Backô System) But once I fired it up and reved it I was pretty Dissapointed with the sound. Some one suggested to me that I get some X-pipe or H-Pipe........But they only bolt up to dual exhaust setups (meaning instead of having two pipes to connect to mine only has one)...........so my question was is there any way i can get X-pipe or H-pipe or any mid-pipe for that matter to make my car sound better with the cat-back system i have on it now? I was also thinking there might be an adapter but then i am not sure if i can get both headers and mid-pipe (might as well get my exhaust finished right away) Any suggestions??

Thanks Mike

P.S. If you don't know what I am talking about when I say my exhaust doesn't have 2 seperate pipes to connect to just look at this site and u should see what I am talking about.

http://borla.com/applications/lookup..._System/14878/

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-30-2005 Thread Starter

Oh ya, by the way, My Car is a 2000 Ford Mustang V6 5 speed.

post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-01-2005
V6 Member

No matter what you do, you can't make a V6 sound like a V8. Borla makes some of the best exhaust stuff in the business so enjoy what you have.

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-01-2005
SHELBY GT 500 Member
V6 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 98V65speed
Ok so I bought some exhaust thinking it would make my car sound like a V8 (It was the Borla Stainless Steel Cat-Backô System) But once I fired it up and reved it I was pretty Dissapointed with the sound. Some one suggested to me that I get some X-pipe or H-Pipe........But they only bolt up to dual exhaust setups (meaning instead of having two pipes to connect to mine only has one)...........so my question was is there any way i can get X-pipe or H-pipe or any mid-pipe for that matter to make my car sound better with the cat-back system i have on it now? I was also thinking there might be an adapter but then i am not sure if i can get both headers and mid-pipe (might as well get my exhaust finished right away) Any suggestions??

Thanks Mike

P.S. If you don't know what I am talking about when I say my exhaust doesn't have 2 seperate pipes to connect to just look at this site and u should see what I am talking about.

http://borla.com/applications/lookup..._System/14878/

All they have to do is cut the y-pipe and install the h-x-pipe.

Don't forget it takes some time for the muffler to break in. Lot's of people complain teh 1st week or so, and a week later come back and say, "It just broke in, it sounds great."

Woe to him who builds his palace by unrighteousness,his upper rooms by injustice,making his countrymen work for nothing...Does it make you a king to have more and more cedar?Did not your father have food and drink?He did what was right and just,so all went well with him. He defended the cause of the poor and needy,and so all went well...But your eyes and your heart are set only on dishonest gain,on shedding innocent blood and on oppression and extortion. Jer 22:13, 15-17
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-01-2005 Thread Starter

Alright I will just cut the y off then....................If I do that and get X-pipe with long tube headers will there be any issues with length? (not so much beeing too long cuz u can always just cut some off, but i was thinking more like being too short?
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-02-2005
SHELBY GT 500 Member
V6 Member

Quote:
Alright I will just cut the y off then....................If I do that and get X-pipe with long tube headers will there be any issues with length? (not so much beeing too long cuz u can always just cut some off, but i was thinking more like being too short?
No, if you go long tube, you have to get the specific h-pipe from MAC, it doesn't affect the cat-back.

Woe to him who builds his palace by unrighteousness,his upper rooms by injustice,making his countrymen work for nothing...Does it make you a king to have more and more cedar?Did not your father have food and drink?He did what was right and just,so all went well with him. He defended the cause of the poor and needy,and so all went well...But your eyes and your heart are set only on dishonest gain,on shedding innocent blood and on oppression and extortion. Jer 22:13, 15-17
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-02-2005

cut the y pipe and just run back 2 strait pipes with dumps- it will sound closest to a v8 u can make ur car sound. ( if you dont cut the y pipe and just take off the muffler then it will have a rice sound, if u cut the y, take off the muffs and run back 2 pipes with dumps it will sound like a v8.. it sounds really nice. you just gotta find a buddy to do inspections.. and lay low around a cop
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-04-2005 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kscoyote
No, if you go long tube, you have to get the specific h-pipe from MAC, it doesn't affect the cat-back.

So if I get long tubes (Do they have to be MAC to go with the MAC H-pipe? Is that the only Company that makes headers and midpipe that fit the 2000 V6's?) Will that be the closest thing to V8 sound? What are dumps? If dumps are mufflers im not going to cut my mufflers off my borla system. the only thing i want to modify now is the y pipe on my cat-back so i can get some midpipe (by the way can you just get midpipe or do you have to get headers to go with it? and if you can just get midpipe would you recommend headers to go with it?)
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-04-2005 Thread Starter

ok i guess im not going with headers cuz u lose hp and i guess it doesnt do ne thing for the sound so im just looking for some midpipe is this a good deal?
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/00-04...QQcmdZViewItem
SHELBY GT 500 Member
V6 Member

Quote:
ok i guess im not going with headers cuz u lose hp and i guess it doesnt do ne thing for the sound so im just looking for some midpipe is this a good deal?
You won't lose hp with long tube headers. You just won't gain that much unless you get a power adder.

SHELBY GT 500 Member
V6 Member

Quote:
It's aluminized steel, and it's more expensive, at this point than a Pacesetter H-Pipe.

You can pick up one of those for 75-85 dollars at Summit.

post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-05-2005 Thread Starter

o ok do you have a midpipe that u would suggest?
SHELBY GT 500 Member
V6 Member

http://www.pacesetterexhaust.com/mustang.htm

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in