Yin and Yang... Yin won't start, but Yang will. Any ideas? - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-07-2005 Thread Starter
Apprentice
V6 Member

Send a message via MSN to mac_mogul Send a message via Yahoo to mac_mogul
Yin and Yang... Yin won't start, but Yang will. Any ideas?

Okay, strange title, but here it is...

My friend Courtney has the exact same stang as I do. Same year, same options everything down to the last stitch in the two-tone interior...
But hers is white and mine is black. We always park next to eachother at the student apartments, and we call them Yin(my black stang) and Yang(her white stang) Our mileage is even similar. I have about 30,500 and she's at about 29,800.

Anyways... This morning its freezing and snowing. Her car started up just fine, but mine wouldn't start. It took maybe three minutes of turning over-waiting a second, turning over again-waiting a second... and then my car finally started, then burbled and died. I turned it over again and after a couple seconds it started and I gave it some gas to keep it running.

What I wanna know is... why did hers start and mine didn't? Was it just her lucky day?

thanks

Black 2003 3.8 Auto
K&N Air Filter
BOSCH +4 Platinum Plugs
True-dual exhaust Flowmaster 80 series
------------------------
Coming soon:
20% Window Tint
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-07-2005
SHELBY GT 500 Member
V6 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mac_mogul
Okay, strange title, but here it is...

My friend Courtney has the exact same stang as I do. Same year, same options everything down to the last stitch in the two-tone interior...
But hers is white and mine is black. We always park next to eachother at the student apartments, and we call them Yin(my black stang) and Yang(her white stang) Our mileage is even similar. I have about 30,500 and she's at about 29,800.

Anyways... This morning its freezing and snowing. Her car started up just fine, but mine wouldn't start. It took maybe three minutes of turning over-waiting a second, turning over again-waiting a second... and then my car finally started, then burbled and died. I turned it over again and after a couple seconds it started and I gave it some gas to keep it running.

What I wanna know is... why did hers start and mine didn't? Was it just her lucky day?

thanks
could be your plugs not being gapped right, could be battery connection, could be ice in your fuel system plugging the filter.

My bet is on the last item.

Woe to him who builds his palace by unrighteousness,his upper rooms by injustice,making his countrymen work for nothing...Does it make you a king to have more and more cedar?Did not your father have food and drink?He did what was right and just,so all went well with him. He defended the cause of the poor and needy,and so all went well...But your eyes and your heart are set only on dishonest gain,on shedding innocent blood and on oppression and extortion. Jer 22:13, 15-17
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-07-2005
V6 Member

Its the idle air control valve.

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-08-2005 Thread Starter
Apprentice
V6 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monkey Boy
Its the idle air control valve.
How can I solve this? :-/

Black 2003 3.8 Auto
K&N Air Filter
BOSCH +4 Platinum Plugs
------------------------
Coming soon:
20% Window Tint
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-08-2005
V6 Member

Quote:
How can I solve this? :-/
Buy a new idle air control valve and install it.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-08-2005 Thread Starter
Apprentice
V6 Member

Ok thanks!

But uh, I don't know what or where that is...

Is this something I can have fixed at my dealer?

Black 2003 3.8 Auto
K&N Air Filter
BOSCH +4 Platinum Plugs
------------------------
Coming soon:
20% Window Tint
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-08-2005
SHELBY GT 500 Member
V6 Member

Quote:
Ok thanks!

Take it in for an oil change and mention the problem. they'll check it out.

Woe to him who builds his palace by unrighteousness,his upper rooms by injustice,making his countrymen work for nothing...Does it make you a king to have more and more cedar?Did not your father have food and drink?He did what was right and just,so all went well with him. He defended the cause of the poor and needy,and so all went well...But your eyes and your heart are set only on dishonest gain,on shedding innocent blood and on oppression and extortion. Jer 22:13, 15-17
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-08-2005

Could this be my problem too? I took my car out on the ice yata yata and nonetheless when i came nback it was idleing rather funny like a little shakey. Went to the bak and listen to the exhaust and its a bit poppy sounding, i thought my car was missfiering maybe its not. Can this be my problem too? Muffled poping noise out the exhaust whats the cause?
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-08-2005
SHELBY GT 500 Member
V6 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 99'StangTx
Could this be my problem too? I took my car out on the ice yata yata and nonetheless when i came nback it was idleing rather funny like a little shakey. Went to the bak and listen to the exhaust and its a bit poppy sounding, i thought my car was missfiering maybe its not. Can this be my problem too? Muffled poping noise out the exhaust whats the cause?
could be idle control, but in any case it's the computer trying to control the event. if there's intermittent fuel(due to ice), the engine is trying to figure out what's going on, and it leads to misfire. Same thing if the IAC is out.

Doen't happen much up here, because they put additives in the fuel, but in the south, they don't.

V6 Member

Quote:
Ok thanks!

Its really close to the throttle body and its a common problem on Ford products. Your dealer can fix it but its such an easy fix that I would recommend you do it yourself if you've got the tools.
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-09-2005 Thread Starter
Apprentice
V6 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monkey Boy
Its really close to the throttle body and its a common problem on Ford products. Your dealer can fix it but its such an easy fix that I would recommend you do it yourself if you've got the tools.
Okay...

What kind of tools would be involved? I'm pretty sure I can get whatever tools I need from my dad... And, is this a part that I can just pick up at AutoZone? If it is, I'll pick it up today and get things fixed this weekend. Also, I tried googling it last night, but I couldn't find anything relevant...Are there any instructions available for doing this?

Thanks a bunch

Black 2003 3.8 Auto
K&N Air Filter
BOSCH +4 Platinum Plugs
------------------------
Coming soon:
20% Window Tint
SHELBY GT 500 Member
V6 Member

Quote:
Okay...

What kind of tools would be involved? I'm pretty sure I can get whatever tools I need from my dad... And, is this a part that I can just pick up at AutoZone? If it is, I'll pick it up today and get things fixed this weekend. Also, I tried googling it last night, but I couldn't find anything relevant...Are there any instructions available for doing this?

Thanks a bunch
Pick up a haynes manual while you're at autozone.

Did you try the HEET?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in