manual tranny or clutch problem? - Page 3 - Ford Mustang Forum
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
SHELBY GT 500 Member
V6 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sLiPpY
how can u move, or have the rear wheels move with the brakes on.

and u mean the foot brake not the e brake right
yeah, the foor brake, the e-brake only operates the rear wheels.

You have to modulate the brakes, so that you have enough engine power to break the rear wheels loose, and still have enough brake pressure to hold the fronts.

If you've done powerbraking for a run, you know at around 2000-2500 RPM, the rears will start to break loose, so you hold the rpms to around 1750 when racing. To do a burnout, you just floor it.

Woe to him who builds his palace by unrighteousness,his upper rooms by injustice,making his countrymen work for nothing...Does it make you a king to have more and more cedar?Did not your father have food and drink?He did what was right and just,so all went well with him. He defended the cause of the poor and needy,and so all went well...But your eyes and your heart are set only on dishonest gain,on shedding innocent blood and on oppression and extortion. Jer 22:13, 15-17
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 37 (permalink) Old 01-13-2006 Thread Starter
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by sLiPpY
and u mean the foot brake not the e brake right
Im not sure what would happen if you put the e-brake on and hit the gas in an auto stang...probably just wouldn't move at all. You would have a much greater possibility of breaking something important - like your driveshaft or transmission

2002 Sonic Blue v6 5-speed
Mods: K&N FIPK2 CAI, Motoblue 42% UDP, Steeda Tri-Ax, next up - time for a new clutch I think and a lightweight flywheel if I can find a relatively inexpensive one...
post #33 of 37 (permalink) Old 01-13-2006 Thread Starter
Apprentice

Well i got the car back from good ol' dealership. They found absolutely nothing wrong with the transmission! They said they couldn't replicate what I was describing to them when they test drove it.

So basically ive narrowed it down to the worn out clutch, right?

Anyone have any other ideas for what might cause bucking / jolting when I let off the gas?

Mods: K&N FIPK2 CAI, Motoblue 42% UDP, Steeda Tri-Ax, next up - time for a new clutch I think and a lightweight flywheel if I can find a relatively inexpensive one...

post #34 of 37 (permalink) Old 01-17-2006 Thread Starter
Apprentice

UPDATE:

There is now a solution to the bucking problem!

In the stock intake, there is a small screen shaped like a disc. Without this disc in place in the intake, bucking results from the air rushing in. I am not sure to which aftermarket (or stock for that matter) intakes this applies to (I am now sure Ford put it there for a reason), but if anyone has acquired a nice bucking when they take their foot off the gas with their aftermarkey intake, make sure this metal screen is in place somewhere before the MAF in your intake. With the K&N FIPK2, the MAF is just inches after the air filter, which is why the air had no time to stabilize before hitting the MAF
The screen somehow controls the incoming rush of air - and there is no more bucking!!
Never would have thought that the little screen would make such a difference

SHELBY GT 500 Member
V6 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by load
UPDATE:

There is now a solution to the bucking problem!

In the stock intake, there is a small screen shaped like a disc. Without this disc in place in the intake, bucking results from the air rushing in. I am not sure to which aftermarket (or stock for that matter) intakes this applies to (I am now sure Ford put it there for a reason), but if anyone has acquired a nice bucking when they take their foot off the gas with their aftermarkey intake, make sure this metal screen is in place somewhere before the MAF in your intake. With the K&N FIPK2, the MAF is just inches after the air filter, which is why the air had no time to stabilize before hitting the MAF
The screen somehow controls the incoming rush of air - and there is no more bucking!!
Never would have thought that the little screen would make such a difference
I've got news for ya!

The screen doesn't do anything, except act as a failsafe if teh aircleaner isn't installed properly.

Your MAF was probably not perfectly level, which can give you incorrect readings . ..

Woe to him who builds his palace by unrighteousness,his upper rooms by injustice,making his countrymen work for nothing...Does it make you a king to have more and more cedar?Did not your father have food and drink?He did what was right and just,so all went well with him. He defended the cause of the poor and needy,and so all went well...But your eyes and your heart are set only on dishonest gain,on shedding innocent blood and on oppression and extortion. Jer 22:13, 15-17
SHELBY GT 500 Member
V6 Member

A lot of shops incorrectly give the screen some sort of credit to airflow, but it's not the screen, it's the MAF positioning.

post #37 of 37 (permalink) Old 01-19-2006 Thread Starter
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by kscoyote
A lot of shops incorrectly give the screen some sort of credit to airflow, but it's not the screen, it's the MAF positioning.
Im not saying you're wrong..but I didn't change the position of the MAF.
I just put the screen in before it, and now I have no problems.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page