manual tranny or clutch problem? - Ford Mustang Forum
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 37 (permalink) Old 12-07-2005 Thread Starter
Apprentice

manual tranny or clutch problem?

This is probably just a clutch problem...but I really would like a second opinion.

When I step off the gas and the car is still in any gear, it seems to like to buck and jolt a little bit throughout the rpm range. I'm pretty sure I need a new clutch - but I am not sure if a worn down clutch would cause this (the stang being my first manual tranny car). A friend of mine has an Accord and he said the same kinda thing is happening and he needs a new clutch too - but his doesn't jolt or buck as violent as mine does.

The clutch wasn't that good to begin with when I got the car last month, so I really don't know how it's supposed to behave with a good clutch.

Any ideas?

Thanks!!

2002 Sonic Blue v6 5-speed
Mods: K&N FIPK2 CAI, Motoblue 42% UDP, Steeda Tri-Ax, next up - time for a new clutch I think and a lightweight flywheel if I can find a relatively inexpensive one...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 37 (permalink) Old 12-29-2005
SHELBY GT 500 Member
V6 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by load
This is probably just a clutch problem...but I really would like a second opinion.

When I step off the gas and the car is still in any gear, it seems to like to buck and jolt a little bit throughout the rpm range. I'm pretty sure I need a new clutch - but I am not sure if a worn down clutch would cause this (the stang being my first manual tranny car). A friend of mine has an Accord and he said the same kinda thing is happening and he needs a new clutch too - but his doesn't jolt or buck as violent as mine does.

The clutch wasn't that good to begin with when I got the car last month, so I really don't know how it's supposed to behave with a good clutch.

Any ideas?

Thanks!!
whups! didn't see the "in any gear."

You've got a miss.

How many miles?

Woe to him who builds his palace by unrighteousness,his upper rooms by injustice,making his countrymen work for nothing...Does it make you a king to have more and more cedar?Did not your father have food and drink?He did what was right and just,so all went well with him. He defended the cause of the poor and needy,and so all went well...But your eyes and your heart are set only on dishonest gain,on shedding innocent blood and on oppression and extortion. Jer 22:13, 15-17
post #3 of 37 (permalink) Old 12-29-2005
GT Member
V6 Member

sounds like the previous owner ragged on the tranny a little to much.

Lee
2012 V6 Ingot Silver MT
2012 V6 Grabber Blue AT
1991 Ford F150
2005 Honda Civic
----------------------------------------------
12v Guru

post #4 of 37 (permalink) Old 01-03-2006 Thread Starter
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by kscoyote
whups! didn't see the "in any gear."

You've got a miss.

How many miles?
As of this morning, 17,500 miles are on the car.

Mods: K&N FIPK2 CAI, Motoblue 42% UDP, Steeda Tri-Ax, next up - time for a new clutch I think and a lightweight flywheel if I can find a relatively inexpensive one...
post #5 of 37 (permalink) Old 01-03-2006 Thread Starter
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by lcurle
sounds like the previous owner ragged on the tranny a little to much.
I think that too - with the car only having 17,500 on it, there shouldn't be any other reason why the clutch would be worn down already, correct?

post #6 of 37 (permalink) Old 01-03-2006
SHELBY GT 500 Member
V6 Member

Quote:
I think that too - with the car only having 17,500 on it, there shouldn't be any other reason why the clutch would be worn down already, correct?
I've seen people destroy a clutch in 1 day. HAve you loaned your car out to anyone?

Woe to him who builds his palace by unrighteousness,his upper rooms by injustice,making his countrymen work for nothing...Does it make you a king to have more and more cedar?Did not your father have food and drink?He did what was right and just,so all went well with him. He defended the cause of the poor and needy,and so all went well...But your eyes and your heart are set only on dishonest gain,on shedding innocent blood and on oppression and extortion. Jer 22:13, 15-17
post #7 of 37 (permalink) Old 01-03-2006 Thread Starter
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by kscoyote
I've seen people destroy a clutch in 1 day. HAve you loaned your car out to anyone?
Nope not at all. I've been the only one to drive it since I got it 2.5 months ago.

post #8 of 37 (permalink) Old 01-03-2006
SHELBY GT 500 Member
V6 Member

Quote:
Nope not at all. I've been the only one to drive it since I got it 2.5 months ago.
Eh, previous owner then. It could still be under warranty. take it to the dealer and find out .. .

post #9 of 37 (permalink) Old 01-08-2006

i have a 2002 automatic mustang and i've been experiencing severe bucking and jolting - ONLY when accelerating, especially (and most often) when turning, and EXTREMELY VIOLENT bucking jolting when in reverse and accelerating. it feels like gears are grinding i dont even kno, cuz its automatic it shouldnt have any tranny problems... i dont know what to do, is the transmission even the issue?
SHELBY GT 500 Member
V6 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sLiPpY
i have a 2002 automatic mustang and i've been experiencing severe bucking and jolting - ONLY when accelerating, especially (and most often) when turning, and EXTREMELY VIOLENT bucking jolting when in reverse and accelerating. it feels like gears are grinding i dont even kno, cuz its automatic it shouldnt have any tranny problems... i dont know what to do, is the transmission even the issue?
In reverse, it's axle hop. If you're on an uneven surface going forward, you'll get the same effect.

You can either adapt the quad setup from a GT, or pick up rear suspension bits from the handling folks (griggs, steeda, kenny brown, maximum motorsports) or pick up a set of lakewood traction bars if you can still find 'em.

SHELBY GT 500 Member
V6 Member

http://www.sfxperformance.com/parts/LAK20161.htm

Yep they still sell 'em:
http://www.alternativeauto.com/techt...ips_50.html#q8

the thing is with the reverse, its never ever happened before, hoewever i do see the wheels slipping like you said, when i look at it in a reflection while reversing.

thing is, if i let the car sit for like 5 secs in reverse without touching the gas, and THEN accelerate, it seems not to do that huge bucking motion

and, i still cant figure out why its doing that while turning and accelerating.

my dad just put new tires on the car, but i really doubt that could cause a BAD thing like this
SHELBY GT 500 Member
V6 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sLiPpY
the thing is with the reverse, its never ever happened before, hoewever i do see the wheels slipping like you said, when i look at it in a reflection while reversing.

thing is, if i let the car sit for like 5 secs in reverse without touching the gas, and THEN accelerate, it seems not to do that huge bucking motion

and, i still cant figure out why its doing that while turning and accelerating.

my dad just put new tires on the car, but i really doubt that could cause a BAD thing like this

yeah, the stickier & warmer the tires, the more it happens, esp. in reverse. It'll do it sometimes going forward, but the lack of the quads make the 6 more susceptible than the GT.

SHELBY GT 500 Member
V6 Member

you probably don't have a rear sway bar?

no sway bar, but really?? just cuz its new tires they're doing this?

edit: and the turning skips are getting worse.. i dunno, if it is what ur sayin it is what can i do to fix it?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page