Help with Missfire type situation. - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-08-2005 Thread Starter

Unhappy Help with Missfire type situation.

Hey I drive a 99' Stang 3.8l Auto . Ok so we all know it froze and **** last night, well i took my car out for a little fun and when i came back it sounds like its missfireing. I cant tell if its missin on 1 or 2 cylinders so i dont know if its the coil pack. I put Bosch 1 Platinums in about a year ago. I hit red line 1 or 2 times there in first gear tso who knows. Ice hasnt melted yet so i cant tell if i have really lost any power. Its hard to tell unless its idleing. I went to the back and listen to the exhaust and it sounds like a mild miffled poping ... baisically like a cylinder is misfireing. Im not for sure though, any ideas anyone of what could have cause this and what to do? im hard on cash as it is december.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-08-2005 Thread Starter

help please

post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-08-2005
SHELBY GT 500 Member
V6 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 99'StangTx
Hey I drive a 99' Stang 3.8l Auto . Ok so we all know it froze and **** last night, well i took my car out for a little fun and when i came back it sounds like its missfireing. I cant tell if its missin on 1 or 2 cylinders so i dont know if its the coil pack. I put Bosch 1 Platinums in about a year ago. I hit red line 1 or 2 times there in first gear tso who knows. Ice hasnt melted yet so i cant tell if i have really lost any power. Its hard to tell unless its idleing. I went to the back and listen to the exhaust and it sounds like a mild miffled poping ... baisically like a cylinder is misfireing. Im not for sure though, any ideas anyone of what could have cause this and what to do? im hard on cash as it is december.

how many miles?

ususally rough running after a cold snap in warm climates means ice in the fuel lines. fill it up throw in some HEET, and see what happens . ..

Woe to him who builds his palace by unrighteousness,his upper rooms by injustice,making his countrymen work for nothing...Does it make you a king to have more and more cedar?Did not your father have food and drink?He did what was right and just,so all went well with him. He defended the cause of the poor and needy,and so all went well...But your eyes and your heart are set only on dishonest gain,on shedding innocent blood and on oppression and extortion. Jer 22:13, 15-17

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-08-2005 Thread Starter

Almost 93k on it now. I tryed pulling plugs individually to see if one of the cylinders was missfireing and i have come to the conclusion of not. It is still like 24 and it was like 13 or 14 so maybe that ice bit may be the problem. HEET is this supposed to solve the ice in the lines problem? whats causeing that poppy bubbley mild back fire sound in my exhaust(factory)
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-08-2005
SHELBY GT 500 Member
V6 Member

Quote:
Almost 93k on it now. I tryed pulling plugs individually to see if one of the cylinders was missfireing and i have come to the conclusion of not. It is still like 24 and it was like 13 or 14 so maybe that ice bit may be the problem. HEET is this supposed to solve the ice in the lines problem? whats causeing that poppy bubbley mild back fire sound in my exhaust(factory)
water and the engine controller trying to control the event.

Woe to him who builds his palace by unrighteousness,his upper rooms by injustice,making his countrymen work for nothing...Does it make you a king to have more and more cedar?Did not your father have food and drink?He did what was right and just,so all went well with him. He defended the cause of the poor and needy,and so all went well...But your eyes and your heart are set only on dishonest gain,on shedding innocent blood and on oppression and extortion. Jer 22:13, 15-17
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-09-2005
V6 Member

HEET is an antifreeze for gasoline. It's only like $.99 at your local parts store. I'd give it a shot.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-10-2005 Thread Starter

Ok i poped some HEET in that sucker with some premium for the hell of it. Still waiting for it to get better although its random at how bad it is, Sometimes its doing the buble thing quite a bit and very shakey sometimes not. I have only ran about an 1/8th of a tank so maybe i should just give a little more time. About how much of this tank will i run before i see results ? could it take up to 2 tanks / 2 treatments ??
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-10-2005
SHELBY GT 500 Member
V6 Member

Quote:
Ok i poped some HEET in that sucker with some premium for the hell of it. Still waiting for it to get better although its random at how bad it is, Sometimes its doing the buble thing quite a bit and very shakey sometimes not. I have only ran about an 1/8th of a tank so maybe i should just give a little more time. About how much of this tank will i run before i see results ? could it take up to 2 tanks / 2 treatments ??
depends on how much water is in your fuel system, but it should ahve cleared up by now.

Check out your IAC, and shoot your MAF with computer contact cleaner.

post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-10-2005 Thread Starter

Where can i find the IAC. And the MAF is located between the Air filter houseing and the plenum correct ?
SHELBY GT 500 Member
V6 Member

Quote:
Where can i find the IAC. And the MAF is located between the Air filter houseing and the plenum correct ?
The IAC is right off the plenum. I think it's on the back side on your car. Opposite throttle cable.

Teh MAF is directly behing the air cleaner housing. just spray it with COMPUTER contact cleaner. don't touch the wires.

post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-10-2005 Thread Starter

Someone also told me that i may have broken a fin or two in my muffler?? Does this sound like it could be the problem, but if that was the case wouldnt the light poping noise be steady rather than random ?? Whats the likleyness of this?
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-11-2005 Thread Starter

Is my Problem figured out? Maybe. I need some input on some info someone gave me. They noted that they could hear a small exhasut leak near the front of the car. They also told me that because of that my car is running rich.... thus causeing one of the cylinders to miss every so often causeing the problem that i have.Sound like this could be ? I am almost done with my TANK + HEET and no results... tested the IAC and its good.
SHELBY GT 500 Member
V6 Member

Quote:
Is my Problem figured out? Maybe. I need some input on some info someone gave me. They noted that they could hear a small exhasut leak near the front of the car. They also told me that because of that my car is running rich.... thus causeing one of the cylinders to miss every so often causeing the problem that i have.Sound like this could be ? I am almost done with my TANK + HEET and no results... tested the IAC and its good.

Ah-ha!

It's your MAF. false readings from dirt/oil on the sensor - did you try spraying it with computer contact cleaner?

The exhaust leak is a voluntary recall item.

post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-11-2005 Thread Starter

No i havent done that yet But i will try it here in the next day or so. I mentioned that to the guy who pointed out my small exhaust leak and he kind of shrugged like that couldnt be the problem;/... then again not one person knows everything which is why i am postin on this board as well. Trial and error i suppose is just how we got here . I Thank you For your advice and i will head it likley. Ill post up after i spray that sensor.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in