V6 or I-6 power.... - Ford Mustang Forum
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-19-2005 Thread Starter

V6 or I-6 power....

I want more power out of my V6 mustang... the problem being I dont want to switch to a V8 unless i absolutely have to.

My friend has a supra that is running ~800 rwhp and I was just wondering what it would really take (turbo'd of course) to get a v6 mustang to that level? Would it require a whole new block? Does ford even have a v6/I-6 capable of that power level for any real amount of time? Would a swap from another car make more sense?

Thanks in advance!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-19-2005
GT Member
V6 Member

you will not be able to get to 800rwhp on a v6, it is hard to do on a GT and rare on a Cobra. The best your looking at for your v6 would be around 450hp, somewhere around that number, without going alcohol injection, then it wouldnt be street legal anyways.

Lee
2012 V6 Ingot Silver MT
2012 V6 Grabber Blue AT
1991 Ford F150
2005 Honda Civic
----------------------------------------------
12v Guru
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-19-2005 Thread Starter

so the v6 isnt doable? what about an inline 6? like the 300 i-6? or would it just not be doable on a ford 6 cylinder motor?

my friend has another 2jz-gte but im kinda trying to stay away from swappin a toyota engine into a mustang ya know? what about a GN motor? if im left with no choice, one of those will be my option i suppose?

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-19-2005
V6 Member

You have to understand that the 3.8 isn't one of ford's crowning achievements. That being said all hope is not lost. Now I don't know what your buddy is running is his supra to get 800 hp but I will say this. For every ricer making that kind of horsepower there are at least 10 more that blew up trying to make it. The supra is an exception to the rule because they usually have bullet proof engine blocks. So it's pretty easy to get some good horsepower out if them. They aren't (like every other engine) however idiot proof. You put two turbos and a 200 shot of NOS on any stock block it you are gonna blow it up. It's not a question of if it's a question of when.

Supersix says their stroker motors put out around 300 hp naturally and up to 550 with power adders. So basically to get in the 400 hp neighborhood your looking at about 7 grand. That sounds like a lot of money until you notice that their 10 second car runs 278 hp with NOS added.

You didn't say what year your mustang was but if it's a fox body for the same money you can grab a ford crate motor that runs 550 hp. I put the links below to help give you idea of what you might want. What ever you choose good luck

http://www.fordracingparts.com/crateengine/main.asp
http://www.musclemustangfastfords.co...mmfp_0510_six/
http://www.supersixmotorsports.com/P...005catrev3.pdf
http://www.moranav6racing.com/catego...?CategoryID=16
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-19-2005
V6 Member

The biggest hold ups on what you are wanting to do are that there aren't any aftermarket 3.8 blocks and there aren't any aftermarket heads to help you reach 800hp. The factory 3.8 block is actually very strong for a V6 but no amount of prep work is going to allow it to hold up to that much power. Also, though there are some high horsepower intakes and cams available, the stock heads can only be ported so much. You could compensate for this with a TON of boost, but the block wouldn't hold up.

If you are really hell bent on making insane power with an american made V6, your best option is a Buick Grand National. There are tons of race only parts for these cars, including the stronger block and high flow heads that you would need to make 800 hp.
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-20-2005
SHELBY GT 500 Member
V6 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dryerlint
I want more power out of my V6 mustang... the problem being I dont want to switch to a V8 unless i absolutely have to.

My friend has a supra that is running ~800 rwhp and I was just wondering what it would really take (turbo'd of course) to get a v6 mustang to that level? Would it require a whole new block? Does ford even have a v6/I-6 capable of that power level for any real amount of time? Would a swap from another car make more sense?

Thanks in advance!

The heat figures alone for that kind of power are immense. It would take a complete reworking of the heating, cooling, fuel supply, etc.

By the time you were done, you'd basically have to have EVERYTHING, including axles, tranny, etc. up to better than cobra spec.

Keep in mind that adjusted for inflation, the Supra TT was almost as expensive as a Ferrari, and was built for the Japanese version of Trans Am racing.

Getting a regular Celica to Supra spec would be costly . . . getting a Mustang V6 to the spec of DOUBLE the 03-04 Cobra output is not realistic. You're better off getting a Cobra that already has some of the heavy duty equipment you'd need.

That said, getting a V6 to Cobra Spec or better, is not that difficult.

Woe to him who builds his palace by unrighteousness,his upper rooms by injustice,making his countrymen work for nothing...Does it make you a king to have more and more cedar?Did not your father have food and drink?He did what was right and just,so all went well with him. He defended the cause of the poor and needy,and so all went well...But your eyes and your heart are set only on dishonest gain,on shedding innocent blood and on oppression and extortion. Jer 22:13, 15-17
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-20-2005
GT Member
V6 Member

Quote:

Thanks in advance!
I just want to know what the hell you want to do with an 800 hp car? i mean a car with that much hp is not a realalistic street car. like lcurle said you can get 400-450 hp out of a v6, thats enough to walk over most cobra's.

2002 v6 manual, SSM P&P Heads, Comp Cam from SSM, and some other stuff full list in profile.
214 RWHP, 215 RWTQ :tongue

"The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so"
-Ronald Reagan
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-20-2005 Thread Starter

most pre-03/04 cobras maybe.... many of them are going pullied or KB'd or whippled or even turbo'd... and pushing 500-1200 rwhp.

what can you do with 800 rwhp? a lot. and without the torque a v8, it wont spin as badly.
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-21-2005
SHELBY GT 500 Member
V6 Member

Quote:
most pre-03/04 cobras maybe.... many of them are going pullied or KB'd or whippled or even turbo'd... and pushing 500-1200 rwhp.

what can you do with 800 rwhp? a lot. and without the torque a v8, it wont spin as badly.
A bunch of v6ers that will walk a 03/04 Cobra

http://www.v6power.net/

Top 10 V6P Timeslips
1 matthewneuharth 10.314
2 Tom Y 10.659
3 Justin00V6 10.996
4 Pete 11.385
5 GT-EATER 11.584
6 supersix stang 11.853
7 Ryan McKay 11.950
8 Tom Y 12.036
9 PB Milan 12.348
10 SprayedSuper6 12.629

Woe to him who builds his palace by unrighteousness,his upper rooms by injustice,making his countrymen work for nothing...Does it make you a king to have more and more cedar?Did not your father have food and drink?He did what was right and just,so all went well with him. He defended the cause of the poor and needy,and so all went well...But your eyes and your heart are set only on dishonest gain,on shedding innocent blood and on oppression and extortion. Jer 22:13, 15-17
GT Member
V6 Member

Quote:

hey all im sayin is with 400-450 hp there are a very small minority of cars that you would have to be afraid of, and in my personal preference anything more would start to get dangerous

2002 v6 manual, SSM P&P Heads, Comp Cam from SSM, and some other stuff full list in profile.

"The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so"
-Ronald Reagan
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-22-2005 Thread Starter

i know, and i respect the thinking from all sides . the local competition is getting faster and faster, im pretty sure there is a street legal 04 cobra runnin 9.7's because he runs race gas full time. its crazy what some people will do to go fast... i just wanna be able to compete
GT Member
V6 Member

Quote:
i know, and i respect the thinking from all sides . the local competition is getting faster and faster, im pretty sure there is a street legal 04 cobra runnin 9.7's because he runs race gas full time. its crazy what some people will do to go fast... i just wanna be able to compete
hey man whatever floats your boat

-Ronald Reagan
GT Member
V6 Member

Saleen S7, Im sure that would be able to compete. Either that or get the shelby Kit car....either way a V6 can only be modded so far.

Lee
2012 V6 Ingot Silver MT
2012 V6 Grabber Blue AT
1991 Ford F150
2005 Honda Civic
----------------------------------------------
12v Guru
Rookie

just make a note of this justin from www.vmptuning.com has his v6 up to i believe 700+ rwhp on a stock internal motor it is twin turbo. well i had read it before on v6power.net but his site is claiming less. the 3.8 Block is based of the block that gm had in its grand nationals
SHELBY GT 500 Member
V6 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawks05
just make a note of this justin from www.vmptuning.com has his v6 up to i believe 700+ rwhp on a stock internal motor it is twin turbo. well i had read it before on v6power.net but his site is claiming less. the 3.8 Block is based of the block that gm had in its grand nationals
Stock SC motor, more likely.

But I guarantee you it's not a daily driver. Justin's been in here before, and talks a lot of crap, but his engines aren't built for the street.

I think that's his 4th engine in the 4 years he's been around.

450 is probably the mos tyou can hope for in a street engine. by the time you start putting out 700hp, you've invested enough to get a blown cobra engine, and fiddle with the pulleys & bolt-ons to get a 700 hp streeter.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page