Running too rich in fuel - Ford Mustang Forum
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-11-2006 Thread Starter
Apprentice
4.6L Member

Running too rich in fuel

I was enjoying spring break in Miami and now I am back, which means to work on my car. The venom ship is completely out of the car at last, the pressure auto meter is on and all is how spouse to be. Even the 42lb injectors are in the car right not. But the only problem is that is running to rich in fuel. The mechanic says that the car runs but this is not ok something still wrong. So I need to ask the experience (kscoyote)

Tomorrow morning the mechanic will call the company to see what is wrong. But your help will be deeply appreciated. Thanks

2004 Ford Mustang Cobra
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-12-2006
SHELBY GT 500 Member
V6 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodstang01
I was enjoying spring break in Miami and now I am back, which means to work on my car. The venom ship is completely out of the car at last, the pressure auto meter is on and all is how spouse to be. Even the 42lb injectors are in the car right not. But the only problem is that is running to rich in fuel. The mechanic says that the car runs but this is not ok something still wrong. So I need to ask the experience (kscoyote)

Tomorrow morning the mechanic will call the company to see what is wrong. But your help will be deeply appreciated. Thanks
It's programmed to run a little rich to make sure you don't destroy the engine before you get a dynotune.

There's a mustang shop in NJ (Can't remember the name) that can do the tune, or you can go to diablosport.com to find a shop near you.

Woe to him who builds his palace by unrighteousness,his upper rooms by injustice,making his countrymen work for nothing...Does it make you a king to have more and more cedar?Did not your father have food and drink?He did what was right and just,so all went well with him. He defended the cause of the poor and needy,and so all went well...But your eyes and your heart are set only on dishonest gain,on shedding innocent blood and on oppression and extortion. Jer 22:13, 15-17
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-12-2006
SHELBY GT 500 Member
V6 Member

Did you disconnect the battery after the installation?

If not, disconnect it, and after 6 starts the computer should start to adapt. You'll still run a little rich, but it will improve after the computer figures out the air/fuel ratio . ..

Woe to him who builds his palace by unrighteousness,his upper rooms by injustice,making his countrymen work for nothing...Does it make you a king to have more and more cedar?Did not your father have food and drink?He did what was right and just,so all went well with him. He defended the cause of the poor and needy,and so all went well...But your eyes and your heart are set only on dishonest gain,on shedding innocent blood and on oppression and extortion. Jer 22:13, 15-17

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-12-2006 Thread Starter
Apprentice
4.6L Member

The mechanic is a very good one, one of the best here where I live. He has dyno and everything at his shop. But I just need to ask you about this, I kind of trust you a lot according to Mustangs, but hold on, you are saying that car is suppose to run rich always or temporary?

I saw today few drops of fuel coming out of the exhaust system. Thatís what I didnít like. But well I really hope tomorrow this issue will be resolve. However any info or advice from you is always welcome and appreciated.

2004 Ford Mustang Cobra
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-12-2006
GT Member
V6 Member

you are going to need a dynotune to tune your system. Without one you could seriously hurt your engine.

Lee
2012 V6 Ingot Silver MT
2012 V6 Grabber Blue AT
1991 Ford F150
2005 Honda Civic
----------------------------------------------
12v Guru
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-12-2006 Thread Starter
Apprentice
4.6L Member

Well the mechanic is doing it so I donít know if he disconnects the battery and started 6 times. One thing is for sure is smoking less than when I try to install them for the first time, and throwing less fuel. Thanks I will tell you what is going on with this pony tomorrow.

2004 Ford Mustang Cobra
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-12-2006
SHELBY GT 500 Member
V6 Member

Quote:
The mechanic is a very good one, one of the best here where I live. He has dyno and everything at his shop. But I just need to ask you about this, I kind of trust you a lot according to Mustangs, but hold on, you are saying that car is suppose to run rich always or temporary?

I saw today few drops of fuel coming out of the exhaust system. Thatís what I didnít like. But well I really hope tomorrow this issue will be resolve. However any info or advice from you is always welcome and appreciated.
Are you sure that's fuel?!

since your pushing a lot more air and fuel, you're going to have a lot more water coming out the tail pipes.

did you smell the liquid?

If it's VERY rich, you'll see black clouds of smoke coming from the tailpipes, not fuel.

post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-12-2006
SHELBY GT 500 Member
V6 Member

It's supposed to run a little rich always, until you get a dyno tune. That said, you shouldn't have clouds of black smoke pouring from your tail pipe(s).

the liquid is probably water (natural result of combustion), since you have a lot more fuel and a lot more air to burn it in, you'll get a lot more water coming out of your tailpipes. It may smell a bit like fuel, but if you capture a drop between your fingers, you'll feel a complete difference than that of gasoline.

post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-12-2006 Thread Starter
Apprentice
4.6L Member

The mechanic says that is gasoline and maybe the company send wrong software, cuz remember he send the diablo back to the company, the company programmed and send it back. But yesterday I saw the car and wasnít smoking black, but yes I smelled gasoline out the tail pipes.

2004 Ford Mustang Cobra
SHELBY GT 500 Member
V6 Member

Quote:
The mechanic says that is gasoline and maybe the company send wrong software, cuz remember he send the diablo back to the company, the company programmed and send it back. But yesterday I saw the car and wasnít smoking black, but yes I smelled gasoline out the tail pipes.

you're not going to get a perfect program from the company, there's too much variability.

you've got to get a dynotune.

http://www.diablosport.com/customtuning.php

post #11 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-12-2006 Thread Starter
Apprentice
4.6L Member

So the only solution and what I got left is the dyno tune? Let me ask you something according to this, what dyno tunes do. Is not the machine that tells you how much hp and tq are you making or is something else?

Also I would like to know if any complications may occur like damaging the engine or something like that during the process of a Dyno?

2004 Ford Mustang Cobra
GT Member
V6 Member

the dyno tune will measure HP and torque, but also your fuel curve and a/f ratio and the dyno people will and can make adjustments to your engine and ecu that will change all of those in order to get the car running correctly.

Lee
2012 V6 Ingot Silver MT
2012 V6 Grabber Blue AT
1991 Ford F150
2005 Honda Civic
----------------------------------------------
12v Guru
SHELBY GT 500 Member
V6 Member

Quote:

So the only solution and what I got left is the dyno tune? Let me ask you something according to this, what dyno tunes do. Is not the machine that tells you how much hp and tq are you making or is something else?

Also I would like to know if any complications may occur like damaging the engine or something like that during the process of a Dyno?
LCurle explained the process. It's no more dangerous than flooring the throttle 5 or six times.

post #14 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-16-2006 Thread Starter
Apprentice
4.6L Member

Unfortunately I have bad news to tell you guys, Diablo Sport havenít send the program that my mechanic need to finish the job. The only thing that is holding my back is that without these program I wont be able to run the injectors. I hope tomorrow will be a better day. However if the guy that the mechanic always talks to donít send it I wont have any other option that go to any Diablo dealer and get the job done.

I will keep you update with everything so you guys can tell other people who buy a procharger that Diablo Sport will give you a little hard time with injectors. Thanks for everything.

2004 Ford Mustang Cobra
SHELBY GT 500 Member
V6 Member

Quote:
Unfortunately I have bad news to tell you guys, Diablo Sport havenít send the program that my mechanic need to finish the job. The only thing that is holding my back is that without these program I wont be able to run the injectors. I hope tomorrow will be a better day. However if the guy that the mechanic always talks to donít send it I wont have any other option that go to any Diablo dealer and get the job done.

I will keep you update with everything so you guys can tell other people who buy a procharger that Diablo Sport will give you a little hard time with injectors. Thanks for everything.

no, no! you don't need a download, you need a dynotune.

It will run rich until you get a dynotune!!!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page